BODIS

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

matt_bodis

Bodis.comTop Member
Bodis.com Staff
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
works fine. flush your dns guys...

•••
Working again now from Asia.

•••
My earnings have dwindled so much that I wouldn't even notice if the server was off line for a week.

•••
Earnings look pretty good lately, but whats going on at bodis again? Sites are down here

•••
up here in california at this time. i would like to mention something that has been on my mind the past few weeks. ive never had the system explained to me fully regarding how the feeds actually operate. meaning, heres how it is with one domain name i have that is parked with bodis. for the past few months, i will have a few good days and the domain name will earn up to around $20.00 per day on clicks on an average. then it will drop to about half of that or lower for a few days, and then it goes to the bottom completely and i earn $1.50 per day. numbers arent exact, but you get my drift. one day i have tons of visitors and clicks, and then nothing. ive had 7 days of extreme dead. my question is, i dont understand what happens to the traffic? why is it here one day and we are receiving traffic and revenue, and then its gone for days at a time. id be very grateful for someone to bring me up to speed on how the system operates. thanks

•••
It's been down a day ago for 45 minutes. The issues are at the data center. Apparently their backup generators aren't working as they ever implemented them, and the city is having blackouts every week or so.

Having said that, we are already in process of migrating to second data center. Once we get that finalized in a few days (aiming for a Friday migration), then we will no longer ever have this type of downtime due to data center issues, as we'll have full redundancy.

I don't think there will be any more issues until that time (3-4 days), but I will keep an eye on it. It is my top priority and I traveled out half way across the country to get this done. Having said that, any outage we've had (about 3 now), we credited revenue a few hours after, and I always do credit a % more for that loss. I am the most frustrated when this happens and I hate it when things are out of my control.

That is why I took this trip and will absolutely guarantee that this issue will be resolved very very soon. I am basically doing everything I humanly can to get it solved as soon as I can. I want to make sure that this never occurs again.

Bodis is a growing project and it is counter productive to have these issues happen every now and then so you have my word I am working on this 24/7 to get it fixed once and for all.

Like I said, there shouldn't be any more issues until we move it over ( at least this is what the datacenter guys tell me, but that doesn't stop me from making sure we have full redundancy to get around any unexpected issues like this in the future without a second of downtime ).

freespeech: Traffic is based on many factors: inbound links (referals), direct type-in traffic, and search engine ranking. This can all affect traffic numbers but there is no way for me to really tell you unless I am able to look into it. Please PM me your domain so I can take a look at traffic sources.

As far as the feeds. We have a main upstream ad provider. They are the biggest ad provider. I don't mention the name due to confidentiality clauses. However, any names that this provider decides NOT to monetize, we would monetize on our secondary ad providers (upto 30 different ones).

Secondary providers can be about 10-15% of our total network traffic and growing. The good news is that secondary providers due better for us as time goes on due to the "zeroclick/CPA" implementation we have where we send visitors directly to advertisers.

Also, we have some other great news for a new secondary ad provider that we are launching in about a week. I think you can say, they are "THE SECONDARY" provider, if you catch my drift. ;) Luckily, we don't really have a confidentially so I will definitely announce it here once we are live with them.

This should further help improve revenue.

My goal, has, is, and will be to provide the highest revenue. One day we will hopefully be as competitive as humanly possible, and the way things are going maybe that day is just months away..

•••
"THE SECONDARY" provider

Wouldn't be a previous provider would it?

•••
No these guys start with the letter Y...or..B. :P Not sure which letter they start with.

No more questions lol.

•••
•••
So by October we need to park straight. I may still be able to do that for some domains. The thing is you cannot convert adult chinese visitors and all those will be wasted if I park straight.

Can bing or yahoo convert? I've heard they sell traffic to china via adcenter or something. Do they require direct name server too?

I mean i may have to move most of my domains to parked.com but if bing and yahoo becomes bodis secondary provider, well, why not stay at bodis?

Also if we are indexed at domainname.com/sdfdskfhsdkf/sdfhdsfkh/something/orwhatever

Will changing the name server show up ads? Will it properly 301 or something to a right page? Will it damage SEO?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
I must say that Matt's support and service is really good. If you know the industry well you will notice the difference.
What I can say is that I'm moving (a bit) forward on parking, I need to expand my requirements, but I still want to work with Matt (even with other companies always after my traffic) because we can all see how much he is trying to evolve the (almost) stale parking business with secondary good options other than the main provider... and he always seemed a fair person.

•••
Matt. This no more redirection after 30th Sept imposed by Google. Have you got this all worked out with Above.com, so that domains will be forwarded to Bodis.com correctly?

If so, then does this mean that the (minor) disadvantages of using redirection rather than the Bodis Nameservers, also disappears?

•••
Something worrying i came across elliot's blog..

elliotsblog.com/can-parking-companies-send-out-auto-response-emails-on-your-domain-names-7922

Can Parking Companies Send Out Auto Response Emails on Your Domain Names?

There is an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today that I think anyone who parks domain names should read. Apparently, it appears that it’s possible for a parking company to send out auto response emails for domain names that are parked, and those emails may contain spammy links in them.

Here’s an excerpt from the article discussing how this was set up:

“An Associated Press reporter accidentally sent a message to a “verizonwireless.co” address instead of the proper “.com” and got this response, ostensibly from his contact “tom”:

“I am out of office right now on a my (sic) dream vacation and will get back to you when I return. If you don’t hear from me, my assistant should contact you shortly. You should check this site to see how I scored the best travel deal for my trip.”

That’s followed by a link to a site that advertises luxury resorts. Presumably, the owner of verizonwireless.co makes money when someone clicks through to any of the resort sites.”

this domain is parked at Bodis (via NS)... any info about this topic?

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
To Stub: Yes Above already has a workaround/fix in place and it doesn't require any adjustment on your end.

Last edited:
•••
That's great. Can you answer my second question also?

•••
I opened a Bodis Account in July and moved one domain from ND. ND used to pay quite well on that particular domain for about 6 months and then revenue dropped all the way from $40 to under $4 per month eventually. Click through rate diminished and PPC diminished. I wanted to test Bodis first, so I moved that one domain.

PPC improved gradually and then CTR as well. They display relevant ads. Others say they have automatic optimization, whatever, etc-all a load of crap actually. Bodis seems to be the only Parking Company that really display relevant ads and pays well.

One thing I noticed of ND is that they will pay you nicely at the beginning, and then drop the PPC.

At Bodis: PPC has increased more than fivefold and CTR has increased by 170% from ND levels. Looks like it is set to grow!!

I recently added a different domain with quality traffic at ND: PPC and CTR was great... I made almost 50% of the price I paid for the domain in less than two weeks... Then what? Same old nonsense- no change in traffic, but PPC and CTR is down.

So I moved over 95 domains to Bodis yesterday. If things go as expected, I will move another 200 domains to Bodis.

Regards,
:wave:

Last edited:
•••
To Stub: What are the minor disadvantages of using redirection?

Basically, name servers, IP forwarding, or any DNS based solution is typically better because of a few reasons:

• URL forwarding is dependent on another hosting provider to forward the domain, which means if they are down, then your traffic is not forwarded.
  • URL forwarding creates a delay, visitor hits the page where it is hosted (such as at the registrar), and then is forwarded either via URL forwarding or via frame to a parked page, so there is a latency issue.
  • Many registrars and hosting providers are crafty, and are forwarding www. and without www., however they are monetizing all the wild card sub domains themselves (EuroDNS is an example of that).
  • Search engine placements/ranks are usually either lost or much lower with URL forwarding as Google and Bing regard it as spam or some sort of farm linking.
  • There is sometimes user error with URL forwarding (such as not setting all domains, or all 404 URLs to be forwarded the same way as the actual domain).

There are probably quite a few more reasons I can list here.

With DNS based forwarding, Bodis would have more control over the domains (and the upstream provider of Bodis). For the upstream provider there is a few advantages, namely fraud prevention as many scammers are simply forwarding to a non existant random domain everytime they get 1 domain banned they begin forwarding to a second non existant domain via URL forwarding as soon as it happens. So upstream providers, mainly the biggest 2 that we all know, have a hard time preventing this if every day a scammer decides to continue switching to a new domain. Without URL forwarding, scammer has to register a $8 domain every time so it makes it less profitable for them to continue impacting the industry's quality score / smart pricing.

So there is a long term advantage.

I guess it would've been a great idea if no parking company ever came up with the URL forwarding idea in the first place, therefore we'd never have to undo it. But there is no way to predict it.

It is a pain in the @$$ to undo it, but we have to and once we do finish this process, it may make life a bit better for everyone I think down the road.

Nubiano said:
So I moved over 95 domains to Bodis yesterday. If things go as expected, I will move another 200 domains to Bodis.

Hi Nubiano,

Great to hear! :tu: Hopefully revenue and results continue to improve for you. I'm obviously trying to do everything I can that all users including Bodis generates the highest amount of revenue.

I will continue to slowly improve the system until we get to where we want to be.

Thanks all! :) Any questions feel free to let me know.

•••
I'm in favor of it too, Matt. I just emailed you the response I got from Above. To me, they were a bit slow leaving it until the last day.

But now Above are using a DNS solution, my question was really, do all the tricks you alluded to previously (but were too shy to mention), now come back into play? They can be used on my domains now?

•••
You forget to mention that with dns redirect you'll now the referral information.

Is there a way so that my site can be redirected via dns but back at my name server just in case you can't monetize it?

For example, above.com says that they can solve the issue. So we set name server to above.com and somehow it works with bodis.com system. How does that work? I would try the same thing too. Should I 301 redirect rather than using javascript redirect?

•••
Hello Matt.. Do you have any idea to show traffic sources with the earning report?

•••
Hi Nubiano,

Great to hear! :tu: Hopefully revenue and results continue to improve for you. I'm obviously trying to do everything I can that all users including Bodis generates the highest amount of revenue.

I will continue to slowly improve the system until we get to where we want to be.

Thanks all! :) Any questions feel free to let me know.

Hi CfGuru,

Actually-THANK YOU!! :tu: I really like what you are doing!! It's awesome to say the least!

I agree, BODIS does indeed generate the best revenue!!

And it's great that you are constantly working on improving the system.

I look forward to a great future with BODIS!!

I gave you some NP$ and rep to say thanks! :hearts:

Wish I was a member looong ago!!

Awesome and Great work!! (I would say keep it up-but that would just be an insult. You are doing a perfectly good job!!)

Regards,
:wave:

•••
If my sites have lots of index already, like domainname.com/sdfsdf/sdfdsf/somepage

Will it show advertising?

Will it 301 to some page? Will I lost rank for all the site in those domains?

•••
You forget to mention that with dns redirect you'll now the referral information.

Is there a way so that my site can be redirected via dns but back at my name server just in case you can't monetize it?

For example, above.com says that they can solve the issue. So we set name server to above.com and somehow it works with bodis.com system. How does that work? I would try the same thing too. Should I 301 redirect rather than using javascript redirect?

Google has provided a solution where visitors can still be redirected, however it cannot be to a URL forwarding domain like "bodisparking.com". Instead, it requires using sub domains.

Example: Domain arrives at your system at www.domain.com. You then choose to rotate visitors between parking service and you choose to rotate that visitor to Bodis. One of the solutions is to do a 302 HTTP redirect to ww2.domain.com (where ww2 on your DNS server is set to the ip address of Bodis).

ww2 = Bodis
ww3 = some other parking service
ww4 = some other parking service

etc.

This is now their new method for rotating domains. However, bodisparking.com/domain.com forwarding is basically not allowed anymore at this stage.

There is no way for me to help you rotate traffic on my end, but I can help you create a simple system that helps you rotate traffic on your end.

dsarox said:
Hello Matt.. Do you have any idea to show traffic sources with the earning report?

Yes it was already in our update that we were supposed to release months ago. Some people were able to test it. We never got it live because of all the upstream provider changes that required me to remove a lot of the new features that I added in there (such as custom keywords).

But now that all these things are behind us, I hope to have it live next.

•••
Great. What is bodis IP then. Looks like I can set this up pretty quickly

Oh I can still redirect to bodis.domainname.com? Does it have to be 302? Javascript eliminate more bots but 302 is fine too. 302 pass on more referrals. By the way what is Bodis IP? Looks like I can figure this out through hosting.

How do we make bodis.domainname.com to point to bodis IP? Should the change be on the registrar or hosting? Or any?

Great... That works just as well. It's okay to redirect whatever.domainname.com/whatever to bodis.domainname.com right?

Now I need to set that bodis.domainname.com goes to your IP. How would I do so? A address? DNS address? etc.

By the way I still have a little traffic sent to you. The traffic is small, but the earning is not. I earn like $36/day. Yap, ecpm skyrocket to $20 or something. Well, am I being credited for that? Will change to approved scheme soon.

I will change name server directly too for some of my best domains. However, please help maintain the SEO. For example, if URL domainname.com/somename/someplace is index, I think there should be somename someplace somewhere on the title. Also chinese search engine should see lots of chinese characters.

Can bodis do that Matt?

Last edited:
•••
Update: October 4th revenue is inflated due to a technical issue on our system. That will be corrected in the coming days and a notification will be sent out once that is done.

To Teguh: You host the domains at your registrar/hosting company. Then you simply split traffic between parking services. If you want to forward 50% of it to Parked, you forward to their URL, the other 50% that you want to forward to Bodis you'd have to adhere to the guidelines that I posted above.

It must be a 302 redirect as that is a requirement. (Cannot be Javascript redirect).

Bodis IP is 199.59.241.250 (it can be found also on the add domains page). Simply forward on your hosting everything that comes into your domains to ww2.domain.com.

Then set the IP of ww2 for each domain to point to 199.59.241.250. That would be it.

Anything you don't want to rotate to Bodis, simply rotate wherever else you want.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back