NameSilo

Bido.com - Social Auction Platform

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
NamePros welcomes BIDO as it's newest sponsor.

Check out Bido's revolutionary Social Auction Platform at www.bido.com
All auctions start at $1 with no reserve.

The list of upcoming auctions is here:
http://www.bido.com/Auctions

This is a discussion thread for comments, reviews and feedback about Bido and it's services.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Harps.net could sell well into the $X,XXX range. It is a product related .NET with a clear use. Even though it is a niche product, Harps can cost many thousands of dollars.

It has decent WT / Google Search volume and 50+ PPC sponsors for "Harps" and 90+ for "Harp"

Brad

Archangel said:
Monday's approaching so let's take a moment to ponder how well/unwell BIDO's next set of auctions will be. Here are my guesses (taken from an earlier post plus a few new ones added):

MyEntitlement.com: mid $xx at best
WinningPick.com: early/mid $xxx at best
MyCabana.com: mid $xx at best
JuryLaw.com: early $xx at best
AffordableTelescopes.com: early $xx at best
FlightDegree.com: early/mid $xxx at best
ComfortableChair.com: early $xx at best
zjp.com: Roughly $4,500-7k
trombonist.com: early $xxx at best
harps.net: early/mid $xxx at best

What do you think we'll see?

•••
bmugford said:
Harps.net could sell well into the $X,XXX range. It is a product related .NET with a clear use. Even though it is a niche product, Harps can cost many thousands of dollars.

It has decent WT / Google Search volume and 50+ PPC sponsors for "Harps" and 90+ for "Harp"

Brad

True. I just don't see harps as a "modern" term. But who knows -- if ppl will buy harps, then ppl would visit a harps.net and the domain would therefore have value.

•••
Just looking at Harp prices right now it looks like they can cost from a couple grand to like $30K+ for custom wood harps.

The downside is the niche it not large, and I doubt any of those harp makers really sell 100's of Harps a year.

Will be an interesting auction.

Brad

Archangel said:
True. I just don't see harps as a "modern" term. But who knows -- if ppl will buy harps, then ppl would visit a harps.net and the domain would therefore have value.

Last edited:
•••
This is the reason I don't foresee a big sale. I guess we won't know until the auction closes.

bmugford said:
Just looking at Harp prices right now it looks like they can cost from a couple grand to like $30K+ for custom wood harps.

The downside is the niche it not large, and I doubt any of those harp makers really sell 100's of Harps a year.

Brad

•••
I just thought of something: BIDO works on "the power of 1." This includes running the auction at 1pm eastern. Technically, one of their 1's is flawed since the auction runs at different times, depending on the user's time zone. 1pm in, let's say, Ohio would be 10am in California. Just figured I'd mention this.

Wait: they also claim "1 premium hand-picked domain."
Okay, 2 of their 1's are flawed.

•••
Archangel said:
I just thought of something: BIDO works on "the power of 1." This includes running the auction at 1pm eastern. Technically, one of their 1's is flawed since the auction runs at different times, depending on the user's time zone. 1pm in, let's say, Ohio would be 10am in California. Just figured I'd mention this.
The Power of 1 works in parts of Asia too: 1am in Indonesia and Thailand. (And probably in different countries when Daylight Savings swap over from the southern to northern hemisphere.) But who wants to participate at 1am? Another reason to run auctions for 24 hours.

•••
mtford said:
The Power of 1 works in parts of Asia too: 1am in Indonesia and Thailand. (And probably in different countries when Daylight Savings swap over from the southern to northern hemisphere.) But who wants to participate at 1am? Another reason to run auctions for 24 hours.

I think BIDO has a working concept but their selection of domains usually suck and as you pointed out, a 1-hour auction just doesn't cut it. I understand them wanting to brand the 'power of 1' thing into our minds but if the site keeps this up, it'll falter and then fail just like the old 'One Ugly Domain' idea.

•••
Archangel said:
Wait: they also claim "1 premium hand-picked domain."
Okay, 2 of their 1's are flawed.
You missed "1 lucky winner". I'm not so sure that the guy that 'won' myastrologist.com for $590 was all that lucky. :D

•••
MicroGuy said:
You missed "1 lucky winner". I'm not so sure that the guy that 'won' myastrologist.com for $590 was all that lucky. :D

...come to think of it, I think the whole power-of-one thing isn't working. Perhaps they should brand the power-of-zero. And as it was pointed out earlier in this thread, the power of zero is zero.

•••
bmugford said:

Brad
Just an aside here.... In musicians jargon (outside of classical music) a harp refers to a harmonica.
Much larger market there. ;)

•••
IT'S MONDAY SO LET'S ALL TAKE GUESSES AT THIS AUCTION!

It is MyEntitlement.com isn't it? I'm tempted to say $30 at best but after the last 'my' domain, I have an odd feeling about this one...

•••
MyEntitlement.com -- "premium" domain sold for $2!

...what the hell just happened? Was there a huge lack of interest in the domain or were ppl just bored with BIDO?

Hell, I haven't seen anyone in this thread for awhile. Either the domain or the platform, I guess ppl are losing interest with this.

•••
Archangel said:

...what the hell just happened? Was there a huge lack of interest in the domain or were ppl just bored with BIDO?

Lack of interest because the domain is horrible, IMO the worst of those sold so far. Half the populace probably couldn't explain what an "entitlement" is to start with. Nevermind that it's a largely political, pejorative word to describe benefits like Social Security/Medicare. It's like trying to sell MyPedoPriests.com or MyAbortions.com or something.

ripley.

•••
Just a poor name, it'll get better (LLL, singleword, singleword)!

-Justin

•••
ripley said:
Lack of interest because the domain is horrible, IMO the worst of those sold so far. Half the populace probably couldn't explain what an "entitlement" is to start with.

ripley.

I think I'll stop looking at their site for a week. There are a few good ones later on.

But now the lowest sale they have is $2. What a poor way to start the week off :(

•••
I am not sure who is picking these domains, but come on. BIDO was down for months and the domains they lined up at launch have been pretty embarrassing overall, especially if you take out FixedLoans.com

I like the concept, but something needs to change for this to work.

Bido's cut today $0.16. I am not sure if the problem is lack of good domains being submitted, or just BIDO staff making bad selections.

Brad

Archangel said:

Hell, I haven't seen anyone in this thread for awhile. Either the domain or the platform, I guess ppl are losing interest with this.

•••
bmugford said:
I am not sure who is picking these domains, but come on. BIDO was down for months and the domains they lined up at launch have been pretty embarrassing overall, especially if you take out FixedLoans.com

I like the concept, but something needs to change for this to work.

Bido's cut today $0.16. I am not sure if the problem is lack of good domains being submitted, or just BIDO staff making bad selections.

Brad

My guess is that the pool of names they still had available to them pre-relaunch was pretty small and that they probably had to take what they could get. Who in their right mind would let a domain of any real value go for a $1 reserve at an unproven platform? Especially one that crashed and burned just a few months prior?

It also doesn't exactly hurt them that they have shown they can get decent amounts of money for vastly subpar domains. Today's went for about what I thought it was worth, but some of the other names (beyond Fixed Loans.com) went for WAY more than what I ever would have expected, and I mostly attribute that to Bido's reach. That's actually not a bad selling point, if you can get past the domain itself: "Look at how much money we can get for even this crummy domain!"

ripley.

Last edited:
•••
While I still don't understand how they could accept MyEntitlement.com, at least I see something positive in it: the market clearly speaks here, and it sends a message to people who think any domain can be sold, making clear that there are really worthless ones.

•••
•••
Might I suggest the 1PM Eastern start time be changed to 1PM Pacific Time? The small change would give people an extra three hours to really consider the name and get their bids in.

Mornings are busy for me, filled with talking to clients, answering emails, paying bills, etc. It's not until the afternoon I get to visit my favorite websites. I suspect a lot of people have similar types of routines because I notice our activity on NamePros hits its highest points between Noon and 3PM Pacific.

Best wishes moving forward, guys. I'm sure bido will grow and prosper in time.

RJ

•••
If you changed it to 1PM PST that might give people a chance to bid. Most people are at work at 10:00-1:00. But some people might make it home by 4:00-5:00 if they're on the east coast.

•••
I just do not understand why its to hard for people to make a proxy bid? You know about the domains a week and a half before they go to auction.

•••
Ross said:
I just do not understand why its to hard for people to make a proxy bid? You know about the domains a week and a half before they go to auction.
Proxy bidding is not the best way to "bid" for any buyer, so I can see why people would prefer to bid in real time. Some times Proxy bidding is your only choice...

With today's domain that sold for $2, it was a pure Quality issue. The one problem with listing "iffy" domains.. people leave and do not come back. I have not went back since last week when I was active in the chat, posting comments etc. (I checked today to see what the domain sold for) but that was after the auction, Nor did I even look what was coming up for auction.

Bido will get better domains and I love the platform. It just needs better quality domains and be consistent with that quality.

•••
Yofie said:
Bido will get better domains and I love the platform. It just needs better quality domains and be consistent with that quality.
I agree that the quality needs to be consistent. If they go from a reg fee domain to a premium and then back to a reg fee name, it will hurt their brand. IMO.

•••
Yofie said:

Keep your eye on next week's names! :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back