Domain Empire

AdSense for Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
From my inbox:

Many publishers have approached us looking for a way to monetize their domains, and today, we're excited to announce the expansion of AdSense for domains. This product allows publishers to earn revenue through ads placed on undeveloped domains.

With AdSense for domains, users can find relevant information rather than see empty pages or "page not found" errors. Today we present ads, links, and search results on the pages, and may add other useful information in the future. To ensure positive user experience and the quality of our network, these sites are monitored for policy compliance and prohibited from using text and images designed to confuse users.

Advertisers also have additional opportunities to find their customers, and ads on these pages convert well. In addition, we regularly receive requests from advertisers who have found domains to be an effective way to reach their users.

The product will be initially rolled out in phases to English-language AdSense publishers located in North America, and we'll expand to additional regions and languages in the future. To check whether AdSense for domains has been enabled for your account, log in and visit your AdSense Setup tab. For more information, please visit our Help Center.

Here's the link to the official announcement:

http://adsense.blogspot.com/

Well? Is this a gamechanger or not?

I don't show it in my own account as yet.

Can't help but wonder what this means to the parking companies with Google feeds, like SEDO, Fabulous, and all the others. Whoosh! This one caught me by surprise.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Len said:
Do you have any idea where your traffic is coming from? There is an option to change the language if needed.

Actually, how?...it seems like the language is set upon adding the domain.

•••
SDX said:
Actually, how?...it seems like the language is set upon adding the domain.

you could probally delete the name then add it back with a diffrent lauguage. other than that there no way to change the lauguage after its set

•••
johname said:
you could probally delete the name then add it back with a diffrent lauguage. other than that there no way to change the lauguage after its set

Thanks...they really should make the whole system a bit more user friendly.
:p

•••
johname said:

Correct..... this is how it's done. Just change the language when re-submitting the domain.
It's not the ideal way of doing things but if you are getting lot's of traffic from, for example South America, then it may be worthwhile changing the language to Spanish.

•••
I tried adding 6 domains 5 days ago and it still says Active (0) Pending (5) Disapproved (1) All (6)

The one they disapproved was RefinanceYourHouse.xxx (Net

Does pending 5 mean those 5 are ready for the a records and c-name to be changed?

•••
DnPresident said:
I tried adding 6 domains 5 days ago and it still says Active (0) Pending (5) Disapproved (1) All (6)

Does pending 5 mean those 5 are ready for the a records and c-name to be changed?

That is what I presume, once I changed the records of my pending domains they became active after a couple of hours.

•••
DnPresident said:

That's how I figured out which records to change.
I submitted and waited.
Then when nothing was rejected, I changed the records.

You may need to click "Re-verify Ownership" or something
to that effect after you've changed the records.
I don't have any pending now and I can't remember exactly :red:

•••
Host name / Alias Record Type Value / Destination
@ A (address) 216.239.32.21
@ A (address) 216.239.34.21
@ A (address) 216.239.36.21
@ A (address) 216.239.38.21

Maybe its me but I dont get it? You do @.domain.com and point it to 4 different IPs??? This is a pain to do at NAME too because you have to check all 100 domains, add an A record. Check all 100 again, add another, check 100 again add another etc.... am I doing this right adding an A record of @.domain.com? Seems weird. Thanks guys!

•••
Len said:
That is what I presume, once I changed the records of my pending domains they became active after a couple of hours.

Okay Thanks, I'll try it out and see what happens.

mis_chiff said:
That's how I figured out which records to change.
I submitted and waited.
Then when nothing was rejected, I changed the records.

You may need to click "Re-verify Ownership" or something
to that effect after you've changed the records.
I don't have any pending now and I can't remember exactly :red:

Thanks

•••
AFD is more bark than bite.

•••
corgi said:
AFD is more bark than bite.

I have to agree. I've had over 500 impressions with no income.
I'm thinking of bagging AFD and go to parking or something else.

•••
income2k said:
I have to agree. I've had over 500 impressions with no income.
I'm thinking of bagging AFD and go to parking or something else.

I highly doubt AFD's revenue share is the same as normal Adsense.

Besides, the page is ugly - it doesn't really convert.

Using keywords is total bs, that does nothing to change the results.

No 'for sale' sign too.

:zzz:

•••
Thread renamed to - Adsense for Domains - OFFICIAL THREAD

M.

•••
nielsencl said:
Well, twice now I have posted asking for some confirmation that traffic from links are not allowed by Google and have not heard anything. So I'm going to assume that it was a mistake and that any form of non-fraud that is not mentioned in the Google TOS IS allowed.

Traffic update: I still have not made anything after 1,165 impressions on 11 domains. This is the same thing I was seeing while they were parked elsewhere, so I'm thinking the domains may just be cursed and I should try and sell them under the "Domains for sale with traffic" topic... :)

Sorry, I've been away from the pc for a few days. The text I quoted was taken directly from the contract you have to agree to in order to join AFD. I can't provide a link because as soon as you agree to the contract it doesn't show up anymore. When you click the link it takes you straight to your AFD account instead of to the contract page. If someone here hasn't agreed to the contract for AFD yet perhaps they can make us a screenshot? In any event I assure you it was a direct copy/paste from the AFD Terms of Service contract.

•••
I was able to get a copy. I don't think it's clear at all that links from search engines or sites will not be treated as valid. I guess you could read it that way, but I don't know. If you use the link on bold to see the program policies it says more, but in my reading I don't see that you can't have links to your domains, just no "redirects". So if a person clicks on something that gives them some idea what they will see when they arrive, that seems to be ok, just NO DECEPTION or driving of traffic. Some of the text looks like it came from the regular AdSense program and was not completely edited to pertain to AFD.
Get Ads > AdSense for Domains

Please review and accept our Terms and Conditions shown below.

Google AdSenseTM for Domains Program Standard Terms and Conditions

PLEASE READ VERY CAREFULLY THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND THE FAQ BEFORE REGISTERING FOR THE GOOGLE ADSENSE FOR DOMAINS PROGRAM. PARTICIPATION IN THE GOOGLE ADSENSE FOR DOMAINS PROGRAM INDICATES THAT YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, PLEASE DO NOT REGISTER FOR OR PARTICIPATE IN THE GOOGLE ADSENSE FOR DOMAINS PROGRAM.

Introduction. This agreement (“Agreement”) between You and Google Inc. (“Google”) consists of these Google AdSense for Domains Program (the “AFD Program”) Standard Terms and Conditions (“AFD Terms and Conditions”) and the Google AdSense Online Program Standard Terms and Conditions (“AdSense Online Terms”), located at https://www.google.com/adsense/static/en_US/LocalizedTerms.html or such other URL as Google may provide from time to time. A description of the AdSense Online Program, as generally offered by Google, is available at the Program Frequently Asked Questions (“FAQ”) URL, located at https://www.google.com/adsense/faq, or such other URL as Google may provide from time to time. “You” or “Publisher” means any entity identified in an enrollment form submitted by the same or affiliated persons, and/or any agency or network acting on its (or their) behalf, which shall also be bound by the terms of this Agreement. Any capitalized terms not defined herein shall have the meaning set forth in the AdSense Online Terms. For the avoidance of doubt, the term “Program” as defined in the AdSense Online Terms shall include the AFD Program.

1. AFD Program Participation. Your participation in the AFD Program is subject to your continued compliance with the AdSense for Domains Program Policies located at https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?answer=96332&topic=14746, and/or such other URL as Google may provide from time to time.

2. Implementation and Operation of AdSense for Domains. All Ads (including Ads served in response to end user clicks on, and queries entered into, Links, if any) will be grouped by Google and displayed with Links (where applicable) to end users of the Property(ies) as Ad Unit(s) in standard formats as offered generally by Google from time to time, as may be further described in the FAQ. You may select a format approved by Google for the display of Ad Units in connection with the Property(ies), but You acknowledge and agree that Ads and/or Links: (i) shall only be displayed in connection with the Property(ies), each of which is subject to review and approval by Google in its discretion at any time; and (ii) shall be subject to the placement guidelines set forth in the AdSense Online Terms. Except for related Google queries and end user license and queries entered into Links, all queries must originate from individual human end users inputting a URL directly into the address bar of an Internet browser. You will send any and all such URL queries (without editing, filtering, truncating, appending terms to or otherwise modifying such queries individually or in the aggregate) to Google and Google will use commercially reasonable efforts to provide You with corresponding Ads, as applicable and as available. Ads will be displayed on Web pages hosted by Google (each an “AFD Page”) and the format, look and feel of those Web pages hosted by Google may be modified by Google from time to time.

3. Labeling, Branding and Attribution. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the AdSense Online Terms or Program Policies, Ads provided by Google pursuant to the AFD Program will not include any Google labeling, branding or attribution.

4. Prohibited Use. In addition to Your obligations set forth in Section 5 of the AdSense Online Terms, You shall not, and shall not authorize or encourage any third party to: (a) use the AFD Program in conjunction with any downloadable application, including, but not limited to, toolbars; (b) allow Your content to lead an end user to another parked domain page or search portal; (c) submit domains to the AFD Program that violate any trademark (and related rights), copyright, trade secret, patent or other intellectual property right of any third party; and (d) implement on any AFD Page a third party advertising service which is the same as or substantially similar in nature to the AFD Program. You acknowledge that any attempted participation or violation of any of the foregoing is a material breach of this Agreement and that we may pursue any and all applicable legal and equitable remedies against You, including an immediate suspension of Your account or termination of this Agreement, and the pursuit of all available civil or criminal remedies.

5. Representation and Warranties. In addition to Your representations and warranties set forth in Section 13 of the AdSense Online Terms, You further represent and warrant that (a) You are (and will remain at all times during which such domain implements the AFD Program) the exclusive and official registrant of each domain submitted to the AFD Program; (b) there are no actions, suits, claims, or proceedings of any nature (including any governmental or regulatory investigations) pending, or threatened, against You, Your assets and properties, employees, affiliates, agents, or any of Your respective officers or directors (each a “Claim” and collectively, “Claims”), and You agree to notify the Google Legal Department of any and all Claims immediately upon Your awareness of such Claim; and (c) the information provided by You to Google sets forth a complete and accurate list of all names under which You have ever conducted business, and that You will update such list promptly in the event You conducts business under any other name(s) during the Services Term .

May, 2008
By checking this box and clicking on the I Accept button, you agree that you have read, understand and accept the Terms and Conditions, the Program Policies, and the Frequently Asked Questions for participation in Google AdSense for Domains. If you do not agree to these Terms and Conditions, you will not be able to participate in this program.

© 2008 Google

•••
Its at the bottom of the page when you first click on the adsense for domains link in your adsense account. It only appears when you have not yet signed up for adsense for domains. If you can add a domain to your account you've already agreed to the contract and are past the page with the link to the contract.

I've sent an email to google's support desk asking them to publish the contract. I've been all over their help site, but that particular contract just isn't indexed. I'm not too hopeful they'll respond though. The help system for adsense seems designed to keep you from actually ever contacting a human bieng...

•••
I'm not saying they won't pay you for traffic from backlinks. I'm just saying they've got it buried in the contract that they don't have to. Whats the point of having fine print if it makes things clear?

They probably will pay you for good quality traffic no matter where it comes from. At the start of the program they'll probably pay more per click and for more clicks to get the program a good running start. Its later on when they need to keep the advertisers smiling that they'll quit paying you for anything they don't have to. Just me thinking out loud...

•••
Google Adsense for domains

You may be right, but I am still bothered by the use of the term "queries". To me, that is a term you use when searching for something, not when you click on a link, because it's a direct request for something specific, as in "Show me this page". But I am NOT saying that you are wrong, and I am afraid you may be right.

But if that is true, WHY would Google accept any domains that are clearly NOT going to get anything for type-in traffic?

I suggest that all of you with blogs or even sites and domains post some links to this thread. Perhaps we can get someone from Google to explain what is going on or point us to some source of information that will help.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry, I was trying to not be mean also... at first I was only able to find some of what you posted in other forum posts. I thought that someone had posted something false and it was being picked up by others. I was lucky to have access to another AdSense account that did not have AFD activated to get a copy for us.

I just blogged about this thread and posted some of my experiences and thoughts about the program. I don't know if anyone remembers what AdWords first looked like when it launched, but I can assure you it's greatly changed. You would think that AFD has aged enough to have evolved, but either G has made policies that will limit it's effectiveness, or they big boy domainers were raking in enough so no feedback was provided.

The lack of templates and images say a LOT, although the program is newly placed in our hands. I'm still surprised they opened it up to us, but time will tell if we can influence AFD so that it works as well if not better than the competition.

•••
But if that is true, WHY would Google accept any domains that are clearly NOT going to get anything for type-in traffic?

Because the whole idea probably isn't to make a bunch of money in the short term. As I mentioned somewhere above in an earlier post, the big portfolios aren't going to move over to AFD. If they're making good money where they are, they're not going to mess with that. And this is a really fast and efficient way for Google to clean up the low end of the domain market (and keep 'em out of the SERPS - as soon as you submit a domain, I'm sure it's flagged, if it wasn't already)

•••
Well, you may be correct. But wouldn't a simple check of the IP or nameservers do the same thing if they wanted to filter out parked domains?

•••
nielsencl said:
Well, you may be correct. But wouldn't a simple check of the IP or nameservers do the same thing if they wanted to filter out parked domains?
That requires search, nickel and dime work on their end = higher cost.
If domainers come running, we're submitting our domains, making the scanning process a breeze. Even moreso as if one is just submitting for SERP listing, as you're clearly flagging your domain as a "parked domain".
It's like throwing yourself in a lions cage, expecting to be able to pet a kitty.
Google has one interest in mind, and it sure as hell isn't the common domainer's.

M.

•••
Completely underwhelmed - Testing results

Google is certainly not helping - I've been running a test for several weeks with a dozen domains related to certification. Nada. I've been keeping a public running total of the clicks, searchs, and revenue at my personal (non-commercial) blog http://pbarnhart.wordpress.com/testing-adsense-for-domains/ and so far haven't cleared a dollar.

I'm not a domainer - I am a web architect. But I work closely with a few domainers seeking help in developing smarter content-added parking solutions. In the same amount of time it took me to manually change the DNS settings for these sites, I could have set up several content-managed parking sites using open-source templates and PureEdit.

I will run adsense test for at least 60 days - and keep publishing the results. Folks can draw their own conclusions.

•••
To those adding .ca's with the CIRA default privacy protection on - are your domains being accepted?

And for anyone - are they accepting/paying for traffic from anything other than direct type-in?

•••
The 66.249.72.51 is without doubt Googles bot that originates from Mountain View, CA.

That's the AdSense bot.

That's how Google tells what ads to serve on the page, and also what ads to serve YOU - in some cases, you would see ads local to you and relevant to your previous searches, as opposed to what I'd see from Michigan and my own previous searches.

I have thousands of visits from Mediapartners-Google on each of my sites per day (some sites tens of thousands) whether I visit them or not.

Try it on some pages that don't have AdSense (and have never had any Adsense), L2, and see if you get the same.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back