NameSilo

Buy a good domain.....add an email account and use it to reach out to end-users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Been thinking about a certain domain for a while now to use as a base and to add an email account to reach out to end users....

Over the last 6 years I have been reaching out to end-users using a hotmail account, does this come across low budget and unprofessional?.....or does this not matter as long as the domains I am selling are premium?

I have had a bit of success, however I do not have all the skills yet to succeed and to make serious money.

does

[email protected]

come across good and as professional as a shorter email plus a domain base

[email protected]

Any thoughts on this and any stories to share?

Thanks guys

Stu

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,

Hotmail domains can come across as spammy, but it depends who your clientele is, and if they're expecting an email from you. Then again, it can vary by industry. What type of end-user are you contacting?

Without knowing your industry and taking the question at face value, I would suggest registering your name and sending emails from that account.

•••
Hello,

Hotmail domains can come across as spammy, but it depends who your clientele is, and if they're expecting an email from you. Then again, it can vary by industry. What type of end-user are you contacting?

Without knowing your industry and taking the question at face value, I would suggest registering your name and sending emails from that account.

Thanks for the advice.

Been in the game for 6 years so still learning......I have never seen the "hotmail" account as a weakness, but my mindset is changing as I am learning to be smarter, more patient and more to the point.........gradually :)

Thanks

Stu

P.S. Btw....hope this thread helps others in the same boat as me..and I suppose it applies to gmail, aol and other free email accounts..

Last edited:
•••
It may not be a weakness. If its the Hotmail User Interface that you like, I imagine you can connect your domain to your Hotmail account. I know you can for Google, but I believe it's a $10 fee (I could be wrong) and you get access to more features. Meaning you can login using xxx @YourName.com through Gmail

If you have your own domain, and your interested client wanted to know more about you or your business, they could simply visit the .COM attached to your email. In turn this adds credibility, can direct organic traffic if you optimize your keywords, and your website could be what sets you apart from your competition if any.

Example for a real estate business card -- of course handing out your card with a hotmail email isn't a "weakness" but you'd be competing against other cards have xxx @theirname.com. So depending on your brand recognition if any, your competitor has created brand integrity with his email at first glance. I know this is a little confusing, but without more specific information about your situation, I'm afraid this is as precise as I can be.

•••
It may not be a weakness. If its the Hotmail User Interface that you like, I imagine you can connect your domain to your Hotmail account. I know you can for Google, but I believe it's a $10 fee (I could be wrong) and you get access to more features. Meaning you can login using xxx @YourName.com through Gmail

If you have your own domain, and your interested client wanted to know more about you or your business, they could simply visit the .COM attached to your email. In turn this adds credibility, can direct organic traffic if you optimize your keywords, and your website could be what sets you apart from your competition if any.

Example for a real estate business card -- of course handing out your card with a hotmail email isn't a "weakness" but you'd be competing against other cards have xxx @theirname.com. So depending on your brand recognition if any, your competitor has created brand recognition with his email at first glance. I know this is a little confusing, but without more specific information about your situation, I'm afraid this is as precise as I can be.

This is all I needed to hear and I appreciate your time in telling me, very kind of you :)

I suppose if I spend $3k on a domain and I receive a min 10% extra replies to my emails, 5% extra in sales then money can be banked and my $3k spend on my business email / name can be rained back in within months.

Last edited:
•••
if you have your own domain name + email, people will check that domain name to see what is there.

•••
In addition, I'd always run your emails though something like www.mail-tester.com to ensure they aren't going to end up in your lead's spam folder. Sometimes you might be surprised.

•••
@mrcurly, Nice question, can you add a poll for the choices?

•••
•••
In addition, I'd always run your emails though something like www.mail-tester.com to ensure they aren't going to end up in your lead's spam folder. Sometimes you might be surprised.

Thank you....

Its hard as I have come into domaining with my own rules, however I know being a rambo type domainer doesnt sit well with others.......I even had to ask today after 6 years of domaining.."whats domain sherpa and adam dicker????" ( the truth.....please ask keith on here )

Kind of run my own race over the last 6 years as I hate listening to success stories from people who were here from the start however they are right.......bit like not wanting to take advice from mum and dad when your a teenager.......

I have made $ xx.xxx in profit and I have paid off debt that was killing me.....

Last edited:
•••
IMHO, you should abandon your @hotmail.com account for selling domains, asap. Not only do some servers block hotmail accounts because of the amount of spam, but I personally block them on the forums I run, for the same reason. So it could be that not all your emails are getting through. I find about the same situation for most Microsoft email addresses, such as @outlook.com,and to a lesser extent on @yahoo.com addresses.

The best solution would be to have an email address from the domain you are actually selling. The next best would be to have an email address from your domain portfolio website. And finally from a GMail account.

•••
IMHO, you should abandon your @hotmail.com account for selling domains, asap. Not only do some servers block hotmail accounts because of the amount of spam, but I personally block them on the forums I run, for the same reason. So it could be that not all your emails are getting through. I find about the same situation for most Microsoft email addresses, such as @outlook.com,and to a lesser extent on @yahoo.com addresses.

The best solution would be to have an email address from the domain you are actually selling. The next best would be to have an email address from your domain portfolio website. And finally from a GMail account.

Thank you for your kind and detailed reply, I will take this on board again try to progress in domaining..:)

Cheers
stu

•••
•••
I was using a yahoo and gmail email until I read this post. I just set up an email account at Godaddy linked to one of my domains. Now my email is [email protected] and it only costs $3.99 per month.

So much more professional in my opinion. Well worth the cost.

•••
Just be aware if it's a brand new reg, some filters will block new domains. Even more often if your email contains links to new domains. mrcurly, I've seen you like to pick up aftermarket domains, so you might not have too much of an issue with those, but for anyone else out there reading this, if you register tuvwxyz.com, then set up [email protected] and start sending out emails the next day, your emails might not make it through to everyone.

•••
The best solution would be to have an email address from the domain you are actually selling.

@stub, Nice tip.

How do you handle creating email address for each domain you are selling? It would get tedious for more than few domains.

•••
Thank you for your input guys :)

I think I might have raised a valuble point in this discussion and I hope the NamePros community will benefit from this :)

Cheers

Stu

•••
I was using a yahoo and gmail email until I read this post. I just set up an email account at Godaddy linked to one of my domains. Now my email is [email protected] and it only costs $3.99 per month.

So much more professional in my opinion. Well worth the cost.

I agree. But be prepared to receive quite some spam into a GoDaddy email account. It's why I stopped using them (GoDaddy email addresses) a long time ago, even before I moved Registrars.

•••
I have not yet started sending emails out but have been considering this for a while now and this thread and input here, tipped me over to getting a domain based email id. $60/year is worth the professional image, specially with the easy of gmail interface ;)

•••
•••
@stub, Nice tip.

How do you handle creating email address for each domain you are selling? It would get tedious for more than few domains.

Well, you use the email services of your domain provider. Yes it is a tedious job for many domains. But we are talking about domains where you are actively selling to end users, not a domain where you are only waiting for customers to come to you. Some provide an address for free with your registration, and some it's an additional cost. If it becomes too tedious, then go to an email account from your Domain Portfolio Website, or a GMail account.

I personally use a GMail account associated with one of my Domain Names, ie: Selling Website: domain.com, GMail Address [email protected]

•••
$60/year for a professional email account is peanuts. You will recover that cost with only 1 sale/year. But there are also cheaper and free alternatives, mentioned above.

•••
$60/year for a professional email account is peanuts. You will recover that cost with only 1 sale/year. But there are also cheaper and free alternatives, mentioned above.

@stub, it is peanuts, or ..... will be peanuts once I start selling, don't get time. More so, it is not about one email id, with google apps each email id is $60/year, so if you need multiple id's, then it is matters but I like their interface. :)

Google domains might be another option for free email id but it is not yet available in India.

Last edited:
•••
Would a strong, aftermarket $3k+ brandable domain be the key to 5% more sales each month for as long as you want to be a domainer?

•••
Would a strong, aftermarket $3k+ brandable domain be the key to 5% more sales each month for as long as you want to be a domainer?

Name might add value but as a buyer, I would be more inclined towards a nice pro looking site and even better a toll free phone number ;) toll free number means you are here for keeps, not some fly by night operator! Names like fb/google became brands. One word domain name with good reputation among buyers will be come a brand.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back