domain Zeit.gdn

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Art And Nature

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Got this domain of mine. Bought it because of a project I thought I could develop, but then never went on. Honestly, I did not think it could be valuable at the time, but Estibot says $2000. What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Welllllllll...... i’ve personally never used .gdn or even seen it more than once so I wouldn’t say its worth much.... however, “zeit” is “Time” in german so there is your market!

Apparently these guys call the gtld .gdn “.GooDforNothing”, with a ranking of 99.50% of sites being considered “shady”. Haven’t looked into it much, but it was the first thing on google when I searched for “.gdn”

I can say however that I have some names with $10k+ estibot values that I can’t sell for $50.

•••
Welllllllll...... i’ve personally never used .gdn or even seen it more than once so I wouldn’t say its worth much.... however, “zeit” is “Time” in german so there is your market!

Apparently these guys call the gtld .gdn “.GooDforNothing”, with a ranking of 99.50% of sites being considered “shady”. Haven’t looked into it much, but it was the first thing on google when I searched for “.gdn”

I can say however that I have some names with $10k+ estibot values that I can’t sell for $50.

It's important to realize that the "study" that the quoted value was based on was more than a year old and more importantly looked at only less than 100 gdn sites (from a total registration count today of about 120,000 gdn domains currently as per nTLD stats)!

If one wants valid data it is always best to go to Spamhaus - they've been in business for almost two decades, are not in the business of selling domains or software products (well beyond their email block list that protects more than 4 billion email boxes in the world), have a dozen and a half researchers, work with all the major law enforcement sites, and look at a much larger sample set (all they can find active - they check every registered domain, typically many tens of thousands per extension).

It is true that at times gdn has made the Spamhaus "worst 10" list, although it is not on it currently. The "badness" of .gdn is certainly worse than .com and most country codes, but substantially better than .biz for example. Here are the Spamhaus scores as of right now (lower is better). I threw in one the worst currently just for reference.

.com 0.95
.net 1.12
.xyz 1.26
.info 2.63
.gdn 3.15
.top 3.52
.biz 4.95
.click 8.67 (near top worst 10)

Want to check out TLD badness yourself? Do so at https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/ (use the TLD check in top left to enter the TLD you want to check - data updated daily).

The real meaning of gdn is of course GlobalDomainName - you can read about it here.

Re the actual domain name, it will of course be hard to get anything near the Estibot, partly because .gdn are not very well known, there is misinformation about it, and it is not handled by a lot of registrars. On the positive side, the costs to renew are reasonable, and the idea of a global domain name is not a bad idea. You will definitely need to do a selling job, but possibly high $$ to lowish $$$ in my opinion, probably to a European buyer.

•••
There are no recorded notable .gdn sales.
revenue.gdn reportedly sold for $1 on Flippa auction.
So I guess no real value here.

•••
There are no recorded notable .gdn sales.
revenue.gdn reportedly sold for $1 on Flippa auction.
So I guess no real value here.

Your summary of the current state is true, and with good words available to hand register in the extension, the after market is challenging. I think (could be wrong) the registry in this case did not hold and sell some premium domains, so we have none of those in the record. Many of the ngTLDs have a pretty sparse public resales record.

I might also add that the first sale in a TLD has to start somewhere. For example, although .ventures has been around for awhile (general availability February 5. 2014), it had not a single Namebio recorded sale until last July when the name outlier sold for $995. I doubt that anyone on this list would have predicted that sale.

Of course .ventures was in the news lately, with the second ever sale, $42,000 for blockchain(.)ventures (admittedly a very fine keyword!). It just shows that sales of good keywords may be surprising, even when there is no recorded history in the TLD.

•••
I used to own a .gdn actually it was .garden maybe worse?
Reg fee stay away from these useless ext until some sales reported. Or go sell your name, then you know what its worth

•••
•••
@MetBob you are right and if the question was about a really big name like crypto.gdn or money.gdn or whatever, I'd say it's good. But "zeit", I dunno... It depends on who wants the name. But many names in TLDs with known sales are still available:
zeit.click
zeit.website
zeit.city
zeit.place
zeit.bz
Even zeit.am! Zeit means time in German, so it definitely looks cool. So... With so many available, I wouldn't choose zeit.gdn even at reg fee.

For comparison, neo.gdn mentioned above is registered in 150 TLDs, and zeit is registered in 62 TLDs.

Last edited:
•••
@MetBob you are right and if the question was about a really big name like crypto.gdn or money.gdn or whatever, I'd say it's good. But "zeit", I dunno... It depends on who wants the name. But many names in TLDs with known sales are still available:
zeit.click
zeit.website
zeit.city
zeit.place
zeit.bz
Even zeit.am! Zeit means time in German, so it definitely looks cool. So... With so many available, I wouldn't choose zeit.gdn even at reg fee.

For comparison, neo.gdn mentioned above is registered in 150 TLDs, and zeit is registered in 62 TLDs.

Yes, I agree with everything you say 100% @tupungato . It totally depends on how good the keyword is, and what extension options are available. I see that the .co of zeit is highly developed as a cloud computing platform, and the .de is obviously in good use. The real problem with many ngTLDs is, as you mention, there are so many extension offerings that almost always others are available.

I continue to be perplexed by the near $1000 sale of the gdn of outlier. Even today that name is available for hand register in extensions like network and global that seem similar to me. Oh well, you only need one buyer to see that the domain is good!

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back