NameSilo

.ws .WS - The Discussion, Showcase and Sales Report Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hugegrowth

DomainMedia.caTop Member
Impact
Well the .WS registry has been in the news this week for releasing all 5N to 20N combinations last night, and 2 and 3 character .ws will be available later in Feb with new pricing scheme.

.WS registry also has a presence on NP now:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ws...-ws-domains-will-be-released-tomorrow.915224/

Obviously the China story may be creating a new market for short .WS domains. ALL of the NNNN.ws were bought out over three days this past December according to thedomains.com blog.

I registered some 5N.ws last night when they were released, anyone else stepping into .WS now?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I bought $20K worth and dropped every single one except my LL, NN, and NNN. Owner I worked with is gone and present management seemingly has no interest in spending any money on anything. Evidenced by their lack of marketing, communication, and infrastructure. MY OPINION ONLY would be to not touch these until something changes. I only kept the short as a risky bet and because they are the highest quality names you can buy in dot .ws. Which is like saying you have the best old bald tire from the junkyard.

in short, I bought names based on promises and a business plan by a former owner that never panned out and I lost a good amount of money. It happens and I keep looking for more opportunity in domain investing. It is presently not in .ws
Here's the difference - if we lose we blow $20 but if .ws hits as a default for .cn we'll make $50,000 with fangdichan.ws . so yes we have time to have plenty of patience.

•••
I have a few short words I'd like to keep, but I am afraid not after the price increase. It was a big increase, right after a real big push by .ws, saying they would be working for us. Right now it's more principle than $. I am upset over their business. Since there are always promos for cheap regs, I would much rather let them drop and pick them back up. I don't like cheap reg / expensive renewal model at all anyway.

•••
•••
I predict that .ws will be getting China approval this year and maybe even in the near future.

•••
I ended up keeping all my .ws keywords, for now.

Here's the logic - there's .website, .site and .web to launch soon, the same keywords in these extensions are $xxx to $xx,xxx PER YEAR.

Not only is .ws a shorter tld, the renewals are sane (compared to ntlds) and the search volume / cpc on the keywords I have (check this thread) are simply nuts.

@Domain Shane - did the registry change hands? There wasn't any info on this anywhere.

Last edited:
•••
.ws is supposed to be at NamesCon so corner them there and get some answers about their plans.

•••
I thought .ws stood for we suck

•••
What? you own the names how can they not renew? If it's a real premium go get an attorney.

I don't think Premium is a word I would use to describe any domain in .ws. Maybe @Domain Shane's LL, NN, NNN might be exceptions. Maybe not.

•••
Here's the difference - if we lose we blow $20 but if .ws hits as a default for .cn we'll make $50,000 with fangdichan.ws . so yes we have time to have plenty of patience.

You don't just lose $20. You lose all those $26 renewals before you decide to drop the domain. This maybe an acceptable gamble on one domain. But it doesn't scale up. IMHO. As I understand it, .ws isn't even approved for use in China. Correct me if I'm misinformed. (Posted before I saw you last post where you agree with me).

Last edited:
•••
You don't just lose $20. You lose all those $26 renewals before you decide to drop the domain. This maybe an acceptable gamble on one domain. But it doesn't scale up. IMHO. As I understand it, .ws isn't even approved for use in China. Correct me if I'm misinformed. (Posted before I saw you last post where you agree with me).
Actually I will correct you-you saw my post as to approval in china in my opinion? When is the time to buy the very best pinyin names-after they gain approval? Try it and see how many great ones will be left.Time will tell and yes perhaps it will take 10 years of renewals but that's fine also. We're looking to hit home runs not singles. And we would drop the exact chinese pinyin word for "real estate" if .ws is approved in China why?

Last edited:
•••
Actually I will correct you-you saw my post as to approval in china in my opinion? When is the time to buy the very best pinyin names-after they gain approval? Try it and see how many great ones will be left.Time will tell and yes perhaps it will take 10 years of renewals but that's fine also. We're looking to hit home runs not singles. And we would drop the exact chinese pinyin word for "real estate" if .ws is approved in China why?

The very best time to buy pinyin names is before approval for sure. I never said anything about dropping any pinyin names after approval. If you have understood that from my comments. I'm sorry. But that was not what I meant. What I meant, was that waiting for the approval is the gamble. What if they are not approved? Approval is not a certainly. Also I wasn't speaking necessarily about only pinyin domains when I said it doesn't scale-up. IMHO. Why do you think @Domain Shane has dropped everything but his LL, NN, NNN .ws domains. He has decided to cut back on his investment, to the very finest domains which the chinese prefer.

Are you going to keep fangdichan.ws, even if .ws is not approved for use in China? Probably not, would be my guess. This is why gambling on owning lots of pinyin domains is still risky. It might be acceptable on a few domains. But it doesn't scale-up well for hundreds of domains. Unless you have deep pockets. IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think pinyin domains are better than short and familiar english words.

•••
•••
The very best time to buy pinyin names is before approval for sure. I never said anything about dropping any pinyin names after approval. If you have understood that from my comments. I'm sorry. But that was not what I meant. What I meant, was that waiting for the approval is the gamble. What if they are not approved? Approval is not a certainly. Also I wasn't speaking necessarily about only pinyin domains when I said it doesn't scale-up. IMHO. Why do you think @Domain Shane has dropped everything but his LL, NN, NNN .ws domains. He has decided to cut back on his investment, to the very finest domains which the chinese prefer.

Are you going to keep fangdichan.ws, even if .ws is not approved for use in China? Probably not, would be my guess. This is why gambling on owning lots of pinyin domains is still risky. It might be acceptable on a few domains. But it doesn't scale-up well for hundreds of domains. Unless you have deep pockets. IMHO.
Happy New Year and best of luck.

Last edited:
•••
Does anyone know if .ws has even started the approval process in China. xyz and club are already approved, and .ws has been around for years. They are not really on the ball!

•••
When you think about it, it's amazing that .ws is still even around given how poorly its been managed over the years. It really looked like things were going to change last year. Compared to the efforts put into some of the new gtlds, the .ws promotion has been very poor. But the potential is still there as ws is a good two letter tld compared to other two letter combos.

•••
I nearly regged some .ws yesterday they had 2 of my kids names available but no joy on third. :unsure:

•••
@NameZest
Oh thank goodness you said nearly, I was rushing to post Grace Delete Grace Delete! Although if for personal use for your kids, okay, maybe cheaper/better ccTLDs that have all three

I ended up keeping all my .ws keywords, for now. Here's the logic - there's .website, .site and .web to launch soon, the same keywords in these extensions are $xxx to $xx,xxx PER YEAR. Not only is .ws a shorter tld, the renewals are sane (compared to ntlds) and the search volume / cpc on the keywords I have (check this thread) are simply nuts.

Nice logic, I am looking through my list to see the ngTLD prices and availability, or other ccTLDs. The ccTLD challenge is WS is rather generic, most lay people would naturally think Web Site, wheras other ccTLDs may be available and cheaper, but then they look like that country or confusing.

•••
can u re-explain the problem to me /

•••
Please note that Mr Hansen from .ws is a speaker on the China panel at NamesCon. There's a reason for this.

•••
... but if .ws hits as a default for .cn we'll make ...
Just curious .. Do you have any particular reason to think this will happen? Or is it just a general assumption because you personally think China will eventually get around to all of them?

Does anyone know the full list of "re-purposed" ccTLD's that are actually approved in China? I'm assuming .cc? Does anyone know about .co, .tv, .io etc?

And all the older ones like .info and .biz? In fact .. is there a full list of all of them somewhere? lol

FYI .. I have:
Beds
Example
ScreenSavers
Soup
Wind

•••
I bought into the "potential" last year as well with .ws. Good thing is I only picked up a few when the discount was running at gd. Reading this thread, I'm not convinced I don't know if I should keep a few or let them all drop. No sales. I repeat, no sales.

BATS.WS 2/5/2017
CORN.WS 2/5/2017
FINES.WS 2/5/2017
MOVES.WS 2/5/2017
TOKEN.WS 2/5/2017
TULIPS.WS 2/5/2017
LYYK.WS 2/8/2017
TRRY.WS 2/8/2017
TTTR.WS 2/8/2017
TTTX.WS 2/8/2017
TTTY.WS 2/8/2017
TXXT.WS

•••
Just curious .. Do you have any particular reason to think this will happen? Or is it just a general assumption because you personally think China will eventually get around to all of them?

Does anyone know the full list of "re-purposed" ccTLD's that are actually approved in China? I'm assuming .cc? Does anyone know about .co, .tv, .io etc?

And all the older ones like .info and .biz? In fact .. is there a full list of all of them somewhere? lol

FYI .. I have:
Beds
Example
ScreenSavers
Soup
Wind
Yes I do but too long to explain here. Buying .ws for China you are making a bet not an investment and you still MUST have the right words but good luck to you.

Last edited:
•••

FYI .. I have:
Beds
Example
ScreenSavers
Soup
Wind

think .cc and .tv and possibly .web will be approved or are already approved because they are operated by Verisign

•••
Betting is for Vegas. Domaining is investing.

The casualties of 2015/16 haven't been tallied yet. But, I believe that they are much higher as people such as Braden Pollock (and other "prominent" "figureheads" of the domaining industry) pumped this pigeon shit of a ccTLD so hard, even after seeing the Chip crash coming from miles away.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back