IT.COM

opinion Why aged domain is expensive? How is age important?

NameSilo
Watch

Akhilesh.Kumar

Established Member
Impact
Hi,
Tried Google but didn't find something convincing.
I am curious if a domain (for example xyz.com) is never built, no backlinks, no website existence and is only registered as a Domain for few years... how is it different from the same domain (same example xyz.com) hand ragged today?

With my little understanding, a scraped website's domain can be used for quick search engine listings utilizing previous created backlinks.
But how and why a never built aged domain expensive from a fresh hand reg.

I tried namepros too but didn't find a similar thread.
Sorry if I am making no sense, but as a new player I am really not aware of this.
Please help :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey. Any inputs by experts?

•••
Why do you want to know?
The question has no answer and nobody care
One name per one end user
Someone may register a crap name keep renew them for 20 years
Someone may register a new name and has an end user to buy
Past sales does not guaranty future result
Appraisal means nothing until you get the buyer
EMD, BB, SquadHelp mean $hit if you don't have a buyer

Go back to lean more and make money instead of asking these type of questions.

•••
Why do you want to know?
The question has no answer and nobody care
One name per one end user
Someone may register a crap name keep renew them for 20 years
Someone may register a new name and has an end user to buy
Past sales does not guaranty future result
Appraisal means nothing until you get the buyer
EMD, BB, SquadHelp mean $hit if you don't have a buyer

Go back to lean more and make money instead of asking these type of questions.
Thanks for your valuable time sir. Have a great day.

•••
Do anyone else like to discuss or share their experience for my guidance, preferably someone who started their morning in a happy mood and had a hot cup of coffee. :lookaround:

•••
There are several aspects, I would guess.
1. There is the view that you don't care. A great name is a great name, and a shitty name is .. .well, you know.

2. On the other hand, some people have a look at the WHOIS when dealing with a company/person in certain situations. So, it conveys that it's an old domain, and not something registered last week. For example, you find a website of a company you don't know, which is selling a product you may be interested in: It will change psychologically if the company appears to be in business since years and years (even if it's "fake" with an aged domain) whereas if it's very new, according to the whois.

3. Also, a LOT of people register constantly new names and search for new domains. You can kind of think that great names would have been registered a long time ago. There must be a correlation that most great names have been registered early, and didn't stay available to be registered now. This is very far from being 100% though (shitty names were also registered a long time ago and new great names are found). But this may have a small psychological aspect on buyers/sellers. You can argue it's (mostly) BS, but it may exist.

As for the price, it may be explained by the fact it's just a good name (and the correlation mentioned in 3. applies). When it comes to companies (where there are also "aged" companies sold, mostly for the reason number 2) or precious metals (where older stuff is more expensive, even without any real "collector" value), there are costs involved: Keeping the company in good standing for years (often it's companies which weren't used) or storing/insuring the precious metal has to be paid year after year. These costs are added to the sale price: The older, the more expensive. It's the same for old vine or cheese: Some costs pile up with time. and are including in the selling price.

Now, when it comes to domains, you could say the "age" doesn't bring much (it's not cheese or vine!). Well, there is the date appearing in the whois. And there is the fact that someone else would have maybe registered it if the person registering it earlier didn't do so. So, you fall on a "without the costs over the years, this wouldn't be available". Which is complicated (you could think you would be able to get it from someone having registered it later. It's not precious metal coins where there is a production at one time and it isn't produced anymore). There are many ways you can see it and many thought you can have on this. But anyway, I guess that's the "reasons" behind "age".

PS: It's mostly psychological, but as a buyer, if I try to sell you a 10K name and you look at the whois: If you see I registered it yesterday, you will know I didn't have to sit on it for years and pay renewal fees (assuming it was probably one domain among a lot of others), but I'm really only asking you 10K because I thought of the name (found it and registered it). It may appear less "justified" to you as a buyer. On the other hand, there's a name you want, you can have it for 10K, or you won't have it (that's what "first come, first served" is all about). What does it change if the guy is making 10K overnight or is barely just recouping his costs with all the domains he had to sit on for years? PSYCHOLOGY is often complicated (it may also work on the seller's side, about what is "justified" to ask or not. I would assume this is one of the reason why some put the age forward: "look how the price I'm asking for is justified. This domain is worth that price because it's old!").

Last edited:
•••
There are several aspects, I would guess.
1. There is the view that you don't care. A great name is a great name, and a shitty name is .. .well, you know.

2. On the other hand, some people have a look at the WHOIS when dealing with a company/person in certain situations. So, it conveys that it's an old domain, and not something registered last week. For example, you find a website of a company you don't know, which is selling a product you may be interested in: It will change psychologically if the company appears to be in business since years and years (even if it's "fake" with an aged domain) whereas if it's very new, according to the whois.

3. Also, a LOT of people register constantly new names and search for new domains. You can kind of think that great names would have been registered a long time ago. There must be a correlation that most great names have been registered early, and didn't stay available to be registered now. This is very far from being 100% though (shitty names were also registered a long time ago and new great names are found). But this may have a small psychological aspect on buyers/sellers. You can argue it's (mostly) BS, but it may exist.

As for the price, it may be explained by the fact it's just a good name (and the correlation mentioned in 3. applies). When it comes to companies (where there are also "aged" companies sold, mostly for the reason number 2) or precious metals (where older stuff is more expensive, even without any real "collector" value), there are costs involved: Keeping the company in good standing for years (often it's companies which weren't used) or storing/insuring the precious metal has to be paid year after year. These costs are added to the sale price: The older, the more expensive. It's the same for old vine or cheese: Some costs pile up with time. and are including in the selling price.

Now, when it comes to domains, you could say the "age" doesn't bring much (it's not cheese or vine!). Well, there is the date appearing in the whois. And there is the fact that someone else would have maybe registered it if the person registering it earlier didn't do so. So, you fall on a "without the costs over the years, this wouldn't be available". Which is complicated (you could think you would be able to get it from someone having registered it later. It's not precious metal coins where there is a production at one time and it isn't produced anymore). There are many ways you can see it and many thought you can have on this. But anyway, I guess that's the "reasons" behind "age".

PS: It's mostly psychological, but as a buyer, if I try to sell you a 10K name and you look at the whois: If you see I registered it yesterday, you will know I didn't have to sit on it for years and pay renewal fees (assuming it was probably one domain among a lot of others), but I'm really only asking you 10K because I thought of the name (found it and registered it). It may appear less "justified" to you as a buyer. On the other hand, there's a name you want, you can have it for 10K, or you won't have it (that's what "first come, first served" is all about). What does it change if the guy is making 10K overnight or is barely just recouping his costs with all the domains he had to sit on for years? PSYCHOLOGY is often complicated (it may also work on the seller's side, about what is "justified" to ask or not. I would assume this is one of the reason why some put the age forward: "look how the price I'm asking for is justified. This domain is worth that price because it's old!").
That's a great insight. Thank you so much Berserker. :lookaround::lookaround:

•••
In the end, it's kind of the same answer as Johnn, just more elaborated :ROFL:

•••
In the end, it's kind of the same answer as Johnn, just more elaborated :ROFL:
I agree.
But you'll agree if you look at someone to mentor you, you expect the person you are approaching understands that you are looking for an answer because you don't know the same.
If a teacher at school turns a red face on a first grader for not knowing alphabet, the student will loose confidence in the teacher.
"it's kind of the same answer" but the differentiator is that @Berserker is a good teacher.

Good day to you my friend Berserker. :lookaround:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back