Dynadot

Where do you trust high value names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I keep high value domains at Fabulous for the account security and Name.com for the free NameSafe keyfob security.

Used to keep some of them at Moniker but I'm starting to move them out of there.

What registrars do you trust with your high value names, and why?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddy.

GoDaddy offers a service called DTVS to executive account holders.
It is as good as any other security out there.

The executive account department provides excellent support as well.

Also, as someone who deals with end users, GoDaddy makes the most sense as they control so much of the market and end users are familiar with them.

Brad

•••
•••
I prefer Moniker and Name.com but I usually use Godaddy because they cheaper.
After that I think Internet.BS is good one with free privacy.

•••
For super-high value, MarkMonitor is about the only game in town. Unlike most others, MarkMonitor offers domain locking at the registry level, for registries that offer it (VeriSign does for .com and .net), in addition to other, often personalized, security features. See example below of registry-locking in acton - note my emphasis in bold:

Domain Name: GOOGLE.COM
Registrar: MARKMONITOR INC.
Whois Server: whois.markmonitor.com
Referral URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
Name Server: NS1.GOOGLE.COM
Name Server: NS2.GOOGLE.COM
Name Server: NS3.GOOGLE.COM
Name Server: NS4.GOOGLE.COM

Updated Date: 20-jul-2011
Creation Date: 15-sep-1997
Expiration Date: 14-sep-2020

Many of the big name registrars say they offer iron-clad security, but don't really. Ie. GoDaddy's Executive Lock is mostly more market speak, while code generators, such as NameSafe, are great in theory, but how secure are they really, especially when often being offered in bulk to customers for little to no extra cost.

Don't get me wrong, GoDaddy, eNom (dealing direct; not through reseller), and Fabulous are all very good compared to most, but their security pales in comparison to what MarkMonitor offers...

Not saying MarkMonitor is ideal for domainers due to the high cost of their services, but point them out to illustrate there's a level of security above and beyond what most domainers are aware of.

Ron

Last edited:
•••
MarkMonitor is used by very famous brands with millions of dollars budget.
Its not a tool for domainers.
I think the Godaddy solution is safe enough, even for very high priced names.

•••
Its not a tool for domainers.

You are correct. If you have a high value domain don't use GoDaddy. Use Moniker, Enom, NetworkSolutions. Stay away from Register.com. GD is for a everyday use like namecheap.com (witch is enom). Interface are easy to use, efficient security.

•••
MarkMonitor offers domain locking at the registry level,

I believe that Fabulous offers a registry lock as well, although I haven't used it yet.

•••
What about BigRock.com?

•••
Tie up your camel!
The biggest worry is stolen passwords.

•••
GoDaddy.

GoDaddy offers a service called DTVS to executive account holders.
It is as good as any other security out there.

The executive account department provides excellent support as well.

Also, as someone who deals with end users, GoDaddy makes the most sense as they control so much of the market and end users are familiar with them.

Brad

agreed :bingo:

•••
I keep high value domains at Fabulous for the account security and Name.com for the free NameSafe keyfob security.
If you've read the thread in the Industry News section here in NP, Name.com will drop your domain like a hot potato if they get threatened by terrorists with denial-of-service attacks.

•••
If you've read the thread in the Industry News section here in NP, Name.com will drop your domain like a hot potato if they get threatened by terrorists with denial-of-service attacks.

Yeah, I saw that thread and I watched it play out on their blog and facebook pages. I wasn't too happy about it but I think they've learned a few things from the ordeal.

•••
I guess Register.com is a good one for these purporses. It's so hard to transfer out the domain from them, even when you're the legit owner - so I guess for scamers it's really hard :)
But I like it seriously.

Many people use Fabulous, I know. But if you have a normal acc. at Fabulous (for example mine was created by NJ) - there is no at all url redirection (forwarding) option and it's a bit strange. If you have their special acc (that you will create by yourself) - I guess you have the redirection option. But to create an acc. there you need to meet special requiriments - so Fabulous is also not for everybody.

So the best solution - not to have "high premium" domains at all lol

OR if you have really premium names - become a registrar yourself :)

Last edited:
•••
Can anyone post a link to a story from the past 10 years where a high value domain was lost for good at any registrar?

•••
•••
Can anyone post a link to a story from the past 10 years where a high value domain was lost for good at any registrar?

This is an old story and different times but...
http://news.cnet.com/2100-1023-222093.html

That being said, I have seen quite a few reports of registrar bugs: domain renewal paid, script failed to send command to the registry, domain lost. Not talking about 6 figure domains, but domains that were worth some change.

•••
•••
what about BigRock? Do you keep your high value names there?

Only one domain name that I won from a auction a couple of yrs back. Is this a good place to keep your names?

•••
I would say any of the major registrars are ok like Name.com, MyDomain, Dynadot, Enom, Moniker, etc.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back