IT.COM

.mobi What % of NP members own at least 1 .mobi?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you own at least 1 .mobi?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, I own at least 1.

votes
    48.0%
  • No, I do not have any.

votes
    52.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Wow, this .mobi craze is getting a lot of press here on NP.

Just curious to see how many NamePro members own at least 1.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Bought a couple.Plan on buying 2 more after the price drop,if they are still left.

•••
izo-pod said:
Chasing investments is never a good thing. If you are waiting to see how a particular investment is going to do especially domains, my recommendation would then be to look elsewhere................
I can tell you that I didn't buy any .co.in, .in or .cn or .eu.
Just like any other area, investing in domains requires thoughtful analysis, deliberation and planning but the key difference here is that unlike most other typical investments timeliness is highly critical in domaining.....like they say: you snooze and you loose. Unlike the 90's, when it took a few years for good .com names to dissappear, now a days its just a matter of hours before 90% of the decent stock is gone...with each passing day, the hunting gets more and more labor intensive and in a few short weeks, 99.9% of the names worth having are gone. IMO, the risk-benefit ratio is very attractive for those who get their names via landrush pre-registrations (in this particular case, who submitted their pre-regs prior to 9/26) and it remains pretty good for a few days of the open registration period. Afterwards, its almost like rolling a dice for over 99% of regs. Unless the extension is a complete flop (circa .aero, .museum, .name, etc) the "early birds" of new extensions (.info, .us, .in, and even .biz) stand very nice odds for making a very decent ROI. Looking at some of the Pool auction prices for these .Mobis, the investment of around $60-80 a piece looks pretty nice to me, unless of course the extension is destined for total oblivion. There is no 100% risk-free investment after all... :)

•••
Voted 0
No purchases yet, but will reconsider this position when the prices drop.

•••
I don't have any, and don't plan to buy one for now :)

•••
I know that many folks are waiting for the price drop on 10/11....but this is the thing: you'd probably pay the same (may be even more) with the difference that then some of the cost would be in the form of more (much more) time and effort, as well as higher risk (in terms of odds for reselling at profit)....Even by now its gotten pretty tough to find a genuinely nice .mobi name....my hunch is that by the time the prices drop in another 5 or so days, almost every worthwhile name would be gone and it could literally take hours before one would find a good one...so obviously one has to pay one way or the other.

•••
•••
I do not own any .mobis . I put most of my beans into the .tv pot. From this point on, I am focussing on .com , .net and .tv only. If .tv never truly catches on, I can still make decent affiliate money by developing them for myself, which is really my primary focus anyways.

But I've got enough money at risk without going down the .mobi path. I think that the extension will do rather well, though, so good luck to all that invest!

•••
mellowmasher said:
Voted none, and not looking :)

Me too :hehe: just too many bandwagons for me to participate in !!!

I did get mpmovies_ com with the hope of using/selling it for the mobile phone movies market when it gets really hot !

Last edited:
•••
Binfus said:
I know that many folks are waiting for the price drop on 10/11....but this is the thing: you'd probably pay the same (may be even more) with the difference that then some of the cost would be in the form of more (much more) time and effort, as well as higher risk (in terms of odds for reselling at profit)....Even by now its gotten pretty tough to find a genuinely nice .mobi name....my hunch is that by the time the prices drop in another 5 or so days, almost every worthwhile name would be gone and it could literally take hours before one would find a good one...so obviously one has to pay one way or the other.
Good point Binfus. The difference in price won't mean anything if your search says the domain is TAKEN by the time you attempt to register it. October 11th is still 5 days away.

I'm not suggesting that anybody jump on the .Mobi train if they were not already planning on doing so. It's an expensive, high risk venture. I'm just saying that if you DO intend on registering any, you should consider grabbing them now. You are better off paying a couple dollars more today, than discovering them gone 5 days from now.

•••
"Follow the rules or we will kill you"

ROFL, db, you crack me up. You should run for office, that line would get you elected governor in Texas, doncha know.

•••
I have 4 right now, with another 10 when the price falls. Now it's time to build the sites for them.

•••
I don't have a single one. Maybe I'll be regreting it later, but I don't forsee this extension taking off with the general public.

•••
Took the plunge and got myself 5.mobi domains

AutoAuto.mobi
AutoLink.mobi
JobLink.mobi
EuroJob.mobi
EuroJobs.mobi

Now I,m broke again :td:

Last edited:
•••
None here. I spent too much on .in and .tv :)

•••
I'm amazed how even it is right now...split almost perfect down the middle.

Seems NP is definetly split on the subject.

•••
I don't own any...I think the extention is being overhyped, and has too much of a regristation cost to take a risk with it.

Tom

•••
Got a dozen or so. Figure this is a risky extension. It will either take off of fall on its face. I missed my chance to reg .coms back in the day, even though a business partner was invensting in them and advised me to the same (that was back in '95 or '96). I'm not one to make the same mistake twice. For me the difference with .mobi any other TLDs is the .mobi, is a new paradigm, and I like that.

•••
I only have one because thats all I could afford, I'm poor LOL

But.......... I hope I picked the right one and it pays off :tu:

•••
•••
fonzie_007 said:
I don't have a single one. Maybe I'll be regreting it later, but I don't forsee this extension taking off with the general public.

But that's the thing: it doesn't need to. Not if (and yes, I admit, it's still an "if") its adoption as the default extension for mobile devices pans out.

If it does indeed work out as planned/hoped, early .mobi investors will certainly see a nice return...

•••
I have 4. However, one is my 6 letter last name and for my future personal use.

•••
I own two. I will probably invest in a few more when the price drops.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back