Domain Empire

What books are in your Web Development Library???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Here are some titles i've read/skimmed.

HTML: The Definitive Guide - O'Rielly
PHP and MySQL Web Development - SAMS
Learn ASP in 24 hrs - SAMS
Flash Actionscript - Coriblis
Javascript & Javascript Cookbook - O'Rielly
Teach Yourself DHTML in 24 hrs - SAMS
Teach Yourself MySQL in 24 hrs - SAMS
Flash Super Samurai - Macromedia Press
Creating Killer Interactive Websites - Hayden Books (this is a real old book from 1996, but contains vital Information Architecture concepts for larger high-profile projects)
Designing Web Graphics - New Riders
Coloring Web Graphics - New Riders
Learn SQL in 10 Minutes - SAMS

That's most of 'em, I got a few more, I just don't remember where I put them.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Most of the books i've read on web developement have only made things more complicated than they are. Honestly, all you need is the web and w3schools Why it's plural when it's only one website? god knows. They're norwegian. :p

•••
You can learn alot from the web. Books can be good if you want to go beyond the extreme. Although if you search long enough you'll probably find the information on the web somewhere. But they're definitley good for quick reference.

I have a 5 or 6 or 8 or more :)
Learning Perl - Randall L. Schwartz
And Some more Perl books and need more. :D
PHP: PHP 4 Bible - Tim Converse and Joyce Park
Teach Yourself MySQL in 24 hrs - SAMS

I have more and I plan on reading one of them some time .... maybe even all of them.

:beer:

•••
I haven't read anything, i am without a job and a significant source of income, so i can't afford this higher education of web development. I just teach myself, and use online doc's like the php manual.

•••
hmmmmm....I notice alot of people here use the web, which is cool. I have to say that sites such as W3schools.com and PHPBuilder.net are extremely comprehensive.

Maybe it's just me, but I just like reading books better than reading from my computer screen. I find that when I'm reading from my computer screen, it's harder to concentrate on what I'm reading, unlike books which allow me to lock myself somewhere in the house and concentrate. Also, the books come with CD's, which can be very helpful.

I know they can get quite pricey at times, but look on the bright side....they're tax deductable.

•••
I was actually in chapters today and i started reading some php books. Does anyone know if the "Visual" series of books are any good? Their slogan is "Read Less, Learn More." I only read a page or two if it, but i seemed to like it, and it was only 39.99 cdn, which is the going price for php books nowa days. If i get this job up at empire i'm gonna buy it. I learned alot just from reading the one page.

•••
•••
mine are all on the web. the only book i have right now is a book to teach me flash. :o

•••
Originally posted by DarkDevil
I was actually in chapters today and i started reading some php books. Does anyone know if the "Visual" series of books are any good? Their slogan is "Read Less, Learn More." I only read a page or two if it, but i seemed to like it, and it was only 39.99 cdn, which is the going price for php books nowa days. If i get this job up at empire i'm gonna buy it. I learned alot just from reading the one page.
I think visual type learning can be very good to a certain extent, but for learning advanced programming and things beyond the basics I don't think there's really any visual way of teaching it. I've never read any of them books though. For things like flash and graphics I think visual type learning could be very beneficial. :D

•••
I think i'll end up getting these "Visual" books because I learn best by seeing how things work and then wrapping my head around it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back