Dynadot

Web Hosting - How To Decide?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
In the past ive had some great hosting plans, for very very small amounts of money, however i know that they were favours for me, due to knowing these people.

Now about 5-6months ago i purchased some hosting from a company called 'connect-hosting' and may i had how unreliable they can be, downtime, loss of files - Anything bad basically about a host, they are them.

Now ive been looking around and im looking at 2 websites.

1. The Tried & Trusted

Polurnet

This comes with high reccommendation from a lot of people on Namepro's and is said to be the no.1 hosting company used by namepro's. Now yes this sounds great - however something that does bother me is the price's. Are the prices for the Reseller 'Bizzpaw RS-230' expensive or is this just me? And is there where ive made a mistake before?

2. The Unknown

Polate

Now Polate offers a cheap reseller acount, which i do like the sound of, however the fact that it is cheap is bothering me, does this mean im going to get another service like Connect-hosting offered me? At the same time they offer a extra discount due to the fact that i am a namepros member.

------------------------

Now overall the Unknown web host appeals to me because i will admit the cheaper the better for me, webdesign is just a hobbie and not my occupation, so i dont want to be spending a lot on it. But at the same time the tried and trusted appeals to me because, well it seems like i wont be let down by this service.

What shall i do?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddy.com is very cheap, and I have had a very good experience with them.

•••
i thought godaddy.com was mainly for domains?

•••
avstu said:
In the past ive had some great hosting plans, for very very small amounts of money, however i know that they were favours for me, due to knowing these people.

Now about 5-6months ago i purchased some hosting from a company called 'connect-hosting' and may i had how unreliable they can be, downtime, loss of files - Anything bad basically about a host, they are them.

Based on your experience, it's a good idea to look into reliability more than cost. As generally is the case, price does not correlate well with performance and support; viability of so-called 'cheap' hosts are very low. Consequently, an informed decision that considers a variety of factors such as features, business experience, reputation, and reliability in addition to price and package specifications would likely be beneficial in your situation.

In reference to your specific choices, 'the unknown' is a quite appropriate terminology, as the domain itself was registered only 3 days ago (http://whois.domaintools.com/polate.com). Certainly, no information is readily available that would allow you to compare such a host with other well-established ones. However, if you have other choices that are more suitable, it would be a good idea to consider the factors I mentioned in the first paragraph before making your decision on a single aspect such as price or space/bandwidth.

Just to put things into perspective for you, prices take into account overselling vs. non-overselling hosts; those who offer 'cheap' accounts are likely to do the former, generally leading to a drastic decrease in performance (see http://whreviews.com/shared-hosting-res.htm for more info). Compared to the industry average with similar reputation and reliability, we seem to have quite low and competitive pricing.

avstu said:
i thought godaddy.com was mainly for domains?

Indeed, generally it is not advisable to choose a host that doesn't specialize in hosting or lacks in features. In fact, NamePros seems to have several threads with users switching away from godaddy hosting to others

Best of luck!

•••
Remember to search to see if the host has any positive or negative testimonials. As polurnet said you must strike a balance.

•••
I and a large majority of my friends use Dreamhost.

At any rate, I would look for any hosting companies here: http://www.namepros.com/registerindex.php

and see if any Namepros members had anything to say about their services.

•••
apexad said:
I and a large majority of my friends use Dreamhost.

At any rate, I would look for any hosting companies here: http://www.namepros.com/registerindex.php

and see if any Namepros members had anything to say about their services.

Those are domain companies and not hosting companies...

•••
PolurNET said:
Based on your experience, it's a good idea to look into reliability more than cost. As generally is the case, price does not correlate well with performance and support; viability of so-called 'cheap' hosts are very low. Consequently, an informed decision that considers a variety of factors such as features, business experience, reputation, and reliability in addition to price and package specifications would likely be beneficial in your situation.

In reference to your specific choices, 'the unknown' is a quite appropriate terminology, as the domain itself was registered only 3 days ago (http://whois.domaintools.com/polate.com). Certainly, no information is readily available that would allow you to compare such a host with other well-established ones. However, if you have other choices that are more suitable, it would be a good idea to consider the factors I mentioned in the first paragraph before making your decision on a single aspect such as price or space/bandwidth.

Just to put things into perspective for you, prices take into account overselling vs. non-overselling hosts; those who offer 'cheap' accounts are likely to do the former, generally leading to a drastic decrease in performance (see http://whreviews.com/shared-hosting-res.htm for more info). Compared to the industry average with similar reputation and reliability, we seem to have quite low and competitive pricing.

Indeed, generally it is not advisable to choose a host that doesn't specialize in hosting or lacks in features. In fact, NamePros seems to have several threads with users switching away from godaddy hosting to others

Best of luck!
PolurNET hit the nail on the head, he covered everything that I was thinking to post and then some.

I wouldn't recommend a 3-day-old host, nor would I recommend Godaddy. I've never used PolurNET before, but I do know that they have a great reputation in the NP community. Out of your 2 choices, I'd definitely go with them.

•••
You may try ahosting.biz. This company is reputable and it is in the web hosting market for a long while.

Last edited:
•••
ok my suggestion might face a lot of contradiction by a lot of people here at namepros :

i would say go to www.host-tracker.com regster an account and start monitoring the server IP address of any company that u r planning to buy.. track them for 4-5 days and u can get a general idea about there reliability..

it is not that CHEAP providers are bad. its just that they are not making abnormal profits.. they are like perfect competitors where the price settles almost at the cost level and no firm can make abnormal profit

in case of big and reputed companies, they have the market power to influence the sales by their pricing.. therefore they tend to keep their prices very high and act like monopolies..

;) ;)

•••
avstu said:

Now ive been looking around and im looking at 2 websites.

1. The Tried & Trusted

Polurnet

This comes with high reccommendation from a lot of people on Namepro's and is said to be the no.1 hosting company used by namepro's. Now yes this sounds great - however something that does bother me is the price's. Are the prices for the Reseller 'Bizzpaw RS-230' expensive or is this just me? And is there where ive made a mistake before?

2. The Unknown

Polate

Now Polate offers a cheap reseller acount, which i do like the sound of, however the fact that it is cheap is bothering me, does this mean im going to get another service like Connect-hosting offered me? At the same time they offer a extra discount due to the fact that i am a namepros member.

------------------------

Now overall the Unknown web host appeals to me because i will admit the cheaper the better for me, webdesign is just a hobbie and not my occupation, so i dont want to be spending a lot on it. But at the same time the tried and trusted appeals to me because, well it seems like i wont be let down by this service.

What shall i do?

PM'ed you about our company, Polate.com just to clarify some things. :)

I've never actually met anybody who has been hosted with Godaddy.

But to be perfectly honest I can't see them being any good because of the experience i've had with their domains.

•••
Ive never had a problem with godaddy domains however i havent used them a lot.

-LB- i will be honest your hosting site is bang on for the costs but as someone already stated, you are only 3 days old, how can you possibly promise stuff when you dont have the experience.

Polurnet does appeal to me and yes, it does have some good reviews but once again the price may be a problem..

•••
We may not have been open for that long but already have paying customers and also everyone on the team has either ran or been a major part of a hosting company before so we know how it works. :)

•••
•••
Just a word or two about Godaddy. I provide development services for a group that uses their hosting so I have experience with them. They are not that bad. He runs a fairly active website and has suffered little downtime. The control panel and the features offered are not the best in the world though - certainly, IMHO, nothing near cPanel, Plesk, DirectAdmin, etc.

However, I will say that I have other friends who have not had as positive experiences as I have with Godaddy. I will admit my experience is somewhat limited, but that gives you an idea about them at least.

•••
PolurNET said:
Those are domain companies and not hosting companies...

I agree with the fellow who said that he liked dreamhost. Great price, great hosting solution. I don't think of them as a domain company as that doesn't seem to be their core competence. However, I will say that dreamhost is not as easy to use for total newbs to hosting.

•••
Indeed, generally it is not advisable to choose a host that doesn't specialize in hosting or lacks in features. In fact, NamePros seems to have several threads with users switching away from godaddy hosting to others.
That's a strong point, choose the company specializing in the services that you are looking for, either shared or dedicated.

•••
Hello. I agree with guy said that ahosting.biz was reputable company. I like ahosting. If you choose them you won't get any problems.

•••
Would anybody please recommend a hosting company for wordpress? Thanks.

•••
Check the Hosting Offers forum.

Thanks.

•••
•••
dev99 said:
Remember to search to see if the host has any positive or negative testimonials. As polurnet said you must strike a balance.
If the hosting company has been in operation for some time, it's inevitable to have negative reviews as well as positive, and sometimes negative reviews are really helpful, as they help you to get ready to the weak points of your host that you put up with if there are other more important features, like noone needs 100% uptime, and he may sacrifice it for top-notch support service.
To hybone, consider the wordpress hosting directory http://wordpress.org/hosting/n or as an option I recommend my host ahosting.biz. You will find all the details on the site.

•••
Tip: Always try their support line (or email) before you sign up for hosting. I keep a simple question or two in reserve for these occasions. If their phone lines are always busy, and/or they don't get back by email I generally avoid them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back