NameSilo

Warning! Winfixer Scumware Alert!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Please warn others of this scamware. Winfixer is a virus that hijacks your computer. It continuously bombards you with pop-ups warning you of potential problems with your computer. This is their bogus way of making you buy their crappy product that is supposed clean up your computer. You should warn people that are not computer savvy because those are the ones who will mostlikely be conned into buying their product.

I was hijacked by Winfixer earlier today, but I downloaded Ad-Aware and it got rid of it. Too soon to tell, but I'll keep you informed. By the way Ad-aware is a free software that gets rid of spyware and stuff. You can download it for free at sites such as download.com and tucows.com. I highly recommend them, and it's very easy to use.

If you want a more in-depth description of the scam, click here.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To my dismay, Ad-Aware SE Personal did not eradicate WinFixer. Im now getting other popup ads in addition to WinFixer ads.

Please send suggestions on how to remove to this scamware.

•••
•••
Just ran SpyBot, but SpyBot doesn't even recognize the virus. I believe this a new virus not yet detectable by SpyBot.

Ad-Aware recognized the virus, but was unsuccessful at removing it.

Any more suggestions on removing Winfixer?

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the replies, however, after some internet research and numerous unsuccessful attempts, here are my findings:

• Major anti-virus softwares such as McAfee and Norton can't even detect the new "Virtuamondo" virus!

• Spybot can't detect it.

• Spysweeper couldn't remove it.

• Ad-aware was able to detect the virus, but unable to remove it.

Last but not least, I was able to find a solution that removed the virus (crossing my fingers). Here is the link to the forum post: http://forum.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_virus&message.id=49307

It's been a couple of hours now, I've yet to receive a pop-up so it looks like its done the job. The amazing thing is that this program was written by a single individual, not by some multi-million dollar software company! This is mind-boggling; these companies whose primary job is to eradicate these types of viruses could not find a way to remove them while this one person was able to find a solution on his own without the backing of millions of dollars.

Whoever wrote this program should be recognized and supported. Thank you!
:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back