Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg-Netost

Established Member
Impact
VPS Hosting
On a Virtual Private Server, you are allotted resources that are not shared by everyone. The over all CPU time and memory are shared across all accounts on the machine, but at the same time portions of those resources are always dedicated to each individual account. This gives you for more power and flexibility than being on a shared account.
In addition, each VPS hosting has its private mail server with unique IP address. Thus, your mail service won’t be blacklisted due to abuses of others sharing the same mail service.
With the complete root access, users can customize the server to boost the hosting performance as they can.
Coming with the resources which can match to a dedicated server, VPS hosting is the most cost effective choice for small to medium sized business websites who need many resources but come with limit budgets.

Dedicated Hosting
You are allowed and have full access to all resources available on the machine. No one else's account resides on the machine and would not be capable of tapping into your resources.
If you need to install special software or configure the server to your own particular needs then often a dedicated server is the solution.
The same reasons that make dedicated web hosting more reliable also contribute to its higher performance. Whether your site is swamped with traffic every day or needs to load a lot of high-resolution photos and videos, dedicated server hosting keeps things running quickly and efficiently.
In a dedicated environment, the per-user price for regular services (POP, IMAP, SMTP, Basic Email Filtering, and WebAides) and of SecureLine is 50% of the price in a shared environment. This allows accounts with many uses to scale in price better in a dedicated environment.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
VPS Hosting
On a Virtual Private Server, you are allotted resources that are not shared by everyone. The over all CPU time and memory are shared across all accounts on the machine, but at the same time portions of those resources are always dedicated to each individual account.

Please rewrite before I continue reading. These are contradicting statements (not shared by everyone, then overall CPU processes/memory are shared). Which is it?

You are going to confuse some people. :-/

•••
I could also suggest that with a dedicated server, you can use OpenVZ and create multiple small VMs! This is an amazing security move, as you can isolate your mysql, nginx (multiple web servers per site) ect.. and it allows you to customize each VPS to suite your needs. I have two MySQL VMs inside on database dedicated server, as well as, two VMs for MongoDB; the 4 instances have their own optimization and work seamlessly to perform the tasks needed :)

•••
I could also suggest that with a dedicated server, you can use OpenVZ and create multiple small VMs! This is an amazing security move, as you can isolate your mysql, nginx (multiple web servers per site) ect.. and it allows you to customize each VPS to suite your needs. I have two MySQL VMs inside on database dedicated server, as well as, two VMs for MongoDB; the 4 instances have their own optimization and work seamlessly to perform the tasks needed :)

Thanks, this is a pretty good concept for people to follow if they're on a budget as a low end dedicated server could be ~$60-$100/mo (I'd go higher end and trusted for the uptime and service though). :)

I just use separate boxes for this (web/mail, database, backups, etc. w/o cPanel on some) as I've found it's more cost effective. This is because setting up VPS's for each service I want to run would take more resources, thus needing a more powerful setup. You can do this with low end servers and have more oomph than the VPS, while saving money over the robust server that can handle this and of course, costs more. B-)

But this isn't a VPS, because you're sharing resources that shouldn't be shared apparently (going back to my first reply as this is a rewritten piece of garbage article with 43 duplicate or similar articles). :D

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back