Dynadot

VPS Question.

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Right well. I am looking to get a VPS plan with cpanel/WHM with the following specs:-

Min RAM 256
Max burst RAM 768

Running CentOS with all the normal stuff php, mysql etc

I am looking to host about 20 of my sites which use about 80 GB of bandwidth. Would it, with the above info lag the server and ame it very slow?

Thanks,

-Dan

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hard to say Dan, are these sites particularly resource intensive? I'd say from my experience - I also work part time at a VPS provider - that it should be able to handle that load. However, nothing is ever definite as it ultimately depends upon the CPU and memory constraints - moreso the latter.

•••
It is not the bandwidth and disk space that will lag the server, but it is the nature of the sites. What is the nature of your sites and how resource oriented are they? Are you running heavy dynamic sites that write/read date from dbs?

•••
Yeah, most of the sites do use DM, one if a forum with VB. But others are just html pages and some are PHP.

-Dan

•••
Hmm.. from what you've said, that only problem I can think of with 256mb ram is cPanel and WHM.

Just a recommendation, would probably run fine with 256mb ram.

•••
Just having a think, Maybe best to get an extra 64mb just to make sure.

-Dan

•••
Cpanel needs a minimum of 256 MB RAM> So I think it would be good to go for a little high.

•••
From what you said, I'd go with the 256 RAM and upgrade later if needed - this is one of the cool things about a VPS - the ease of upgrading. The key here is you're not going to be hosting clients so cPanel/WHM won't be that big of a memory factor if properly optimized. The burstable RAM will more than cover any spike your cPanel/WHM usage would cause from a single user.

•••
Thats the thing, its more than one user who will be accessing the VPS. Like a few of us having sites and uploading and working on differnt sites.

-Dan

•••
How many? A couple still won't matter. What I am referring to is an active host where all 20-something accounts are owned by different active people/groups 3,4,5+ people using the server won't mean a hill of beans.

•••
Thats good, I may use DirectAdmin but it just looks like it does not offer what CpanelWHM offers. Or may look at Plesk

-Dan

Last edited:
•••
As said above. some of the sites hosted with be like VB forums and etc and all will use a lot of resources. so i am looking at a VPS plan with the following:-

2GB Burst RAM
640MB RAM guaranteed

Reading what people have said I thnk it will be engough to make it all work. Am i right?

-Dan

•••
Have you tried LXAdmin?

I've just got a new VPS with cheapvps.co.uk (they do UK and US plans) who provide very low cost VPS plans. At the moment they are (or were, check WHT offers) offering double RAM on all plans with the coupon RAMX2.

Rus (the owner) knows his stuff and is very good at what he does. Drop them an email with your needs and they will help you out.

Rick

•••
That'll be more than enough Dan.

•••
thanks guys. I will have a play with it and see. I will be 80% mostly for mine groups use but we may sell off about 20% but we shall see!

Thank you all

-Dan

*Add.

thnak sto all you guys who have helped. Red ADDED!

•••
•••
You can also check for cheap and affordable hosting with 24x7 phone and chat support UK VPS Hosting

•••
Cpanel uses a lot of memory. i would recomment going with some light weight panel like Lxadmin which can save u a couple of bucks also and will be more than sufficient for 256MB ram plus ur sites :)

•••
Do you need a managed or unmanaged VPS? You may have it from Onthespothosting.net. The offer fully managed VPS starting at $59.95 per month and self-managed starting at $24.95 per month.
If I were you I'd sign up with their reseller special. You may also use their coupon code free to get the first month web hosting for free.

Last edited:
•••
I just want to say that you can consider semidedicated offers as well in this case. And Isuffest you look at companies providing few server solutiions. Have a look at these ones: Webhostingbuzz.com(offers semidedicated and dedicated servers as well).
A2hosting.com (offers VPS, SD and dedi and at the same time always has latest PHP, MySQL, Rube on Rails), bodhost.com (offers VPS and dedicated)
it gives you possibility to move from smaller package to bigger one if you are happy with this company

•••
You can find the features you need in Linux VPS Deluxe plans of serverpoint.com. They provide 512MBs of dedicated RAM and 768 MBs of burstable RAM.

•••
squatter said:
You can find the features you need in Linux VPS Deluxe plans of serverpoint.com. They provide 512MBs of dedicated RAM and 768 MBs of burstable RAM.
As I know ServerPoint.com provides Zeus server instead of Apache. Is it provided on a VPS too? Or only on dedis? What does it depend on?

•••
Ultimatum said:
I just want to say that you can consider semidedicated offers as well in this case. And Isuffest you look at companies providing few server solutiions. Have a look at these ones: Webhostingbuzz.com(offers semidedicated and dedicated servers as well).
A2hosting.com (offers VPS, SD and dedi and at the same time always has latest PHP, MySQL, Rube on Rails), bodhost.com (offers VPS and dedicated)
it gives you possibility to move from smaller package to bigger one if you are happy with this company
Webhostingbuzz.com is sure a reputable company but they don't provide a VPS solution. I don't think that their semi-dedi will be all right for you. Their dedis - yes, they aren't expensive at all (starting from $259/m) and they are fully managed. Looks good.
A2hosting.com has a rich choice of web hosting solutions (shared, semi-dedis, dedis, reselling, affiliates, etc). But their prices are a little bit higher but they support different versions of MySQL (5.0.x, 4.1.x), ROR and others. Nice company to sign up with.
As for Bodhost.com, I don't know anything of their services at all. They seem to provide UK web hosting and I can say it's not cheap.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back