Dynadot

question Verisign/ICANN Scam

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have paid almost about a million dollars to Verisign registering/renewing .coms in last 20 years. Could have been various times that if invested correctly.

These low lives has charged me upto $7.85 per year for something which costs few cents to produce

Not only me, everyone here who is in business for more than a few years here have indirectly paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to verisign, paying 10-15 times the original cost price of the product (upto $7.85)

All thanks to the scandalous and one-sided contract awarded by ICANN to verisign. These crafty people didn't even do competitive bidding, allowing Verisign to scandalously force-sell .coms for $7.85, and now $8.39 for thing that costs few cents to produce.

Ideally they should have allowed more than 1 qualified bidders to manage the registry so there is competition and prices can be reduced allowing millions to come online and helping themselves out of poverty. Of course with a framework to manage equipment(s) running the registry and registrars etc.

Here are few things we should discuss:-

1) Can ICANN-Verisign contract survive judicial oversight including but not limited to monopoly laws?

2) Should EU commission or other International agencies look into this?

3) Are these International tours and expensive dinners dolled out by Verisign to ICANN executives legal? Should they be allowed?
Should not ICANN come out with a policy for its executives?

4) Hasn't ICANN made Verisign into a monopoly? Should not there be more than 1 qualified parties managing the .com registry so that there are no monopolies and market prices can be offered to the consumers?

5) ICANN executives taking management jobs at Verisign after retirement. Isn't this insane and should this be allowed? Should not ICANN come out with a policy on the same.

@lawyers - Those who have been engaged by Verisign or it has paid for your food and travel (in conferences or otherwise), kindly recuse yourself.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back