Dynadot

Uniregistry update leaving sellers confused...

NameSilo
Watch
Uniregistry 2 weeks ago announced via email that they would be making some changes to the Unimarket. I was excited to hear this as the marketplace dashboard could definitely use an upgrade and was hopeful the upgrade would include more domain traffic data displayed in the dashboard as well as additional payment options for buyers and payout options for sellers "payoneer". I was also hopeful that the landing pages would get a fresh face.

I was quite disappointed to see that all uniregistry did was move a couple things around in the dashboard and remove some features that were imperative for bigger portfolio holders to have. Ex, the bulk marketplace domain edit feature is gone and now only 25 domains can be edited at a time. So, I'm confused.. the email that came out from uni indicated clearly that the changes would help sellers sell more domains... what changed? I cant see much change other than a non mobile device optimized marketplace dashboard and that functionality was taken away...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, I agree. Quite disappointing. I was hoping for a live chat widget and maybe the possibility of adding installment plans on the sales landers among other things.

I also find it strange that they didn't follow up the original announcement with a new one telling customers exactly what has changed.

By the way, the update created several new bugs such as not being able to use portfolios/folders (now finally solved after informing their support - apparently they didn't notice themselves).

•••
These are snippets from the past two emails I sent their support:

upload_2019-11-7_7-16-40.jpeg

upload_2019-11-7_7-16-55.jpeg

•••
•••
•••
Not exactly revolutionary...
Uni needs a new look and to add at least the same options their competitors offer in order to compete in today’s market.

•••
Uni does offer payment plans but they need to be done thru a broker 15% which is all taken up front, so if a buyer makes 1 payment and defaults uni gets their full cut, and you get pretty much nothing, plus they charge the buyer a $40 per month holding fee, not really good for smaller transactions, and most buyers hate fees no matter how big the deal is.

Also noting they changed their grace period by deceasing it by 25%, and instituting a $10 late fee. I emailed about the folders also, and was asked what browser I was using, and they made it like that it was only affecting me, and they weren’t aware of any issues. Took a few days to fix.

It seems they are going backwards, and if they keep losing domains, and accounts, they are only going to have to keep cutting back, and charging current customers more. So they really need to start reversing these negative steps, and start innovating again.

On the other hand I need to congratulate Epik, they are doing some amazing things with leasing, some of the scenarios they offer like 25% down, and hold for x term if someone wants to think about it, and hold a domain are pretty helpful. Also they offer domain loans, with decent payback periods if you want to purchase, or do a big transfer, or whatever. They are innovating, not stalling changes. Plus they are receptive to customer feedback, and open to making changes that are domainer friendly. If Epik expands their domain broker roster, to assist, and take over sales at times, I think this will be a big plus, as I know uni lost Jeff Gabriel, and some other veteran brokers like Darryl in the past few years, which has not helped.

Domain leasing is much needed going into 2020, and if your not using it your going to lose out.

Last edited:
•••
Uni does offer payment plans but they need to be done thru a broker 15% which is all taken up front, so if a buyer makes 1 payment and defaults uni gets their full cut, and you get pretty much nothing, plus they charge the buyer a $40 per month holding fee, not really good for smaller transactions, and most buyers hate fees no matter how big the deal is.

Also noting they changed their grace period by deceasing it by 25%, and instituting a $10 late fee. I emailed about the folders also, and was asked what browser I was using, and they made it that it was only affecting me, and they weren’t unaware of any issues. Took a few days to fix.

It seems they are going backwards, and if they keep losing domains, and accounts, they are only going to have to keep cutting back, and charging current customers more. So they really need to start reversing these negative steps, and start innovating again.

On the other hand I need to congratulate Epik, they are doing some amazing things with leasing, some of the scenarios they offer like 25% down, and hold for x term if someone wants to think about it, and hold a domain are pretty helpful. Also they offer domain loans, with decent payback periods if you want to purchase, or do a big transfer, or whatever. They are innovating, not stalling changes.

Domain leasing is much needed going into 2020, and if your not using it your going to lose out.

Yes, I knew they offered payment plans set up by their brokers, but buyers have no idea this might be an option just by looking at the sales landers. And I just read about those $40 per month holding fees - that seems far too much.

Add to that they charge a 4 percent fee to top up your account by credit card. Haven't seen anyone else do that...

All in all, I agree they will have to do better than this.

Last edited:
•••
I also saw a tweet about new upcoming changes that will change the sales game, have they already been instituted ? If so I just notice a few stat color changes, and change in some menu options? I don't see any new process, of sales tools which is what one would expect?

I really wish their broker turn around time was quicker sometimes I notice it takes them 2-3 days to respond if an inquiry somehow routes to them, that is the difference between a made, and lost sale. Also on some dead sales I have seen brokers reach out, and ask those customers if they can interest them in some other names, never liked that. I guess you give up your customer rights, and data by using the exchange, a perk for them on the flip side.

Last edited:
•••
Uniregistry seemed to have really been the domainers registrar of choice when I started domaining about 3 years ago. Full of great domainer friendly features and overall thinking. But it seems just hit a brick wall at some point instead of moving forward.

I know there were some (non-domain related) personal issues with the ownership (let's not discuss the specifics here, there's no point), but I have to think it's more than that .. Uni was supposed to be the big refreshing change that forced change within the industry .. and it was for about a year it seems. I wish them luck, as the more viable choices in the industry the better.

In the meantime it seems Dynadot had taken over that role (based on what I saw people post here), and very recently, Epik seems to be adding new staff and new features by the day and really attracting a lot of domainers. It doesn't hurt that ownership there is quite directly involved in development.

•••
Now I know what you guys are talking about in the function portion of the market settings. There is a whole subsection of menu functions just gone, with a limited 3 set option.

If you want to take a batch of names, and edit them, or list them, you simply can't. I have no idea what they have done here, but they have made it impossible to use. Who would have signed off on this, and it is absolutely unusable.

Last edited:
•••
To be honest, I don't think anybody is listening anymore, emails to support, are more of a customer issue thing, and they don't know what we are talking about, so I can't blame them as they are more on the technical side of things.

Last edited:
•••
Anyone notice Uni's IP address lookup no longer reading Country?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back