Dynadot

Tom Cruise Wins TomCruise.com...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow... interesting read. It isn't a one off thing either >
However, Burgar's past caught up with him, with the final decision constantly referring to the previous occasions he has been involved in a WIPO dispute - in particular with CelineDion.com, MichaelCrichton.com, KevinSpacey.com, JeffreyArcher.com and others.

•••
I read this story as well. More interesting than the actual domain is the story about how one-sided the decision process is becoming. Here are a couple interesting quotes:

The UDRP process (there is no appeal) has become so polarised that if you were provided with the names of the panellists in any given case, you could predict with almost complete certainly what the outcome was, regardless of the merits of the case actually being heard.

If this decision is used for future decisions (which is what happens with unhelpful frequency), the implication is that the slightest income from a website or related website (Google Ads?) could be used to undermine a freedom of speech defence and see domains handed over.

So while Jeff Burgar is an extreme example of a domain registrant, Tom Cruise's victory serves only to highlight the need to reform the domain arbitration process. ®

•••
Interesting read, I'm just glad I'm not in the business of registering those kind of domains as the panel does seem to be very one sided.

Tom

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back