NameSilo

Atom / Atom.com - Marketplace (formerly Squadhelp)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey Folks,

I've just started using squadhelp.com to list some of my brandable. So far I have 76 domains listed, there is no fee to list. I've had some decent action so far in the way of interested buyers but no sales as of yet. I've only been with them for 1 week now.

A bit of a summary review of SquadHelp:

PROS
  • No Listing fee
  • No Logo design fee
  • Ability to submit your names to end users holding naming contests
  • Ability to chat directly or send a message directly to end users.
  • Stats of your marketplace domains are shown in the marketplace dashboard.
  • Their customer service and support has been great, 24hr a day chat.
  • Ability to increase or decrease the list price of your domains or to show a discount. You can decrease or increase the price yourself by $200. If you want to lower more, you can contact support.
  • End users can shortlist your domains before they make a decision on which they want to purchase. The number of shortlists is shown in you marketplace dashboard.
  • When you submit your names you get to set the price you wish to get. Because their commissions are high I recommend listing at a higher price to offset the commission costs.
  • Their landing pages are fairly basic but they work. Because the marketplace is fairly new, I'm sure we will see style improvements in the future.
  • One thing I really like is they accept multiple extensions. I have listed .co and .io along with .com
  • Each seller gets a direct link to their marketplace portfolio, HERES MY PORTFOLIO. It is handy if your trying to p[promote your portfolio through social media.
  • I like that their marketplace doesn't have tens of thousands domain listings like BB. They are fairly strict on the domains they accept to list and so this helps keep the number of domains in the marketplace down and gets your listings more exposure.
CONS
  • Their commissions are very high, depending on the domain name they are usually between 30% and 35%. However, there are no listing fees, no logo design fees, so in the end their commission is very similar to brand buckets.
  • Their logos are not top quality, in fact I requested to have some of my logos remade.
  • I think they have a big backlog of logos to design, the wait time for logo design has been around 1 week, but your names are still listed while the logos are being designed.
  • After your names are accepted you need to agree to their commission rate, at this point you also need to apply your own keywords, descriptions etc. I found this was very time consuming.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From what I observed, though I'm not sure if this is correct. They allow extra voting if you reach at least certain threshold. Like if you get 3/12, they continue the voting process to say 15 votes. If after that you get another vote, now 4/15, they continue voting until 20. If you get 5 votes, it's auto listed, otherwise SH takes over and makes decision whether to list your name or not.

They don't give continue voting if you get 0/12 or 1/12 which, I guess, makes sense.

And yet, I did get 3/12 and my domain was rejected.

The process is not consistent.

•••
I got those too. I guess, sometimes SH takes over the decision early in the process. Maybe depends on the availability of their staff. I listed those names with 3 votes under basic plus, which in my opinion still works like premium (except for the free logo).

•••
Here is one of my rejected domains.. auto rejected with 3/13 votes:
KvII8w9.png

Last edited:
•••
If that domain had been allowed to continue through the process, it could have switched to an auto-accept.

Every domain should be guaranteed the same number of votes, or a minimum threshold of 20 (I believe 30 would actually be more fair).

Allowing some domains to have 12 reviews while others get 20 does not make sense.

•••
I understand the concerns but I personally like the current process, it's relatively faster and filters "crappy" names. Continuing the voting process after 0/15 does not make sense to me. I know every name is given to random "experts" and views vary subjectively. But if 15 persons do not like your domain, maybe it's time to think that your name may not be that good. It's like getting an appraisal here on NP where everybody says it's no good yet op keeps on arguing. Of course you can always keep the name and list it on other marketplaces if you really like it, but you can't shove it down to the throats of people who disagree with you.

What I do is I keep those names with 2 votes or more, because I know at least 2 domainers out there who like it. Then I move on :D

Last edited:
•••
Continuing the voting process after 0/15 does not make sense to me.

Continuing after 0/15 does not make sense.

But continuing after 3/12 does make sense, particularly when the approval threshold is 25%. My most recent submission was rejected at 3/12.

Re: the system in general -- as previously mentioned, accepting/rejecting domains based on polls is lazy and superficial. Polling cannot do justice to a domain.

Last edited:
•••
From what I observed, though I'm not sure if this is correct. They allow extra voting if you reach at least certain threshold. Like if you get 3/12, they continue the voting process to say 15 votes. If after that you get another vote, now 4/15, they continue voting until 20. If you get 5 votes, it's auto listed, otherwise SH takes over and makes decision whether to list your name or not.

They don't give continue voting if you get 0/12 or 1/12 which, I guess, makes sense.

I am under the same impression.

Last edited:
•••

@NamePrime while I think you might be in the right direction as far as the expert review process goes, I think it stops if you did not get 4/13, and not 3/13 as I too have had rejected ones at 2/13 and 3/13, so seems obvious you need 4/13 to continue.

Here is one of my rejected domains.. auto rejected with 3/13 votes:
KvII8w9.png

There comments on rejection state as much :)

•••
@NamePrime while I think you might be in the right direction as far as the expert review process goes, I think it stops if you did not get 4/13, and not 3/13 as I too have had rejected ones at 2/13 and 3/13, so seems obvious you need 4/13 to continue.

There are no minimum votes needed to continue. Nothing is consistent.

If the SH internal team decides to intervene at any moment, they can do so and reject a domain, even a domain that has received 10/10 positive votes.

My 3/12 submission was rejected because the internal team intervened.

Sometimes the internal team intervenes, sometimes they don't. There are no criteria for this.

Last edited:
•••

When was that? They implemented that "3 up votes - approved for searchable basic plus" only very recently. Maybe you domain name was submitted and reviewed before that.

•••
When you receive an installment payment for a domain you have sold, you should receive an email and/or dashboard notification which includes the amount of the payment, for which domain, and what installment payment number it is (especially when you have multiple domains on installment plans). Further, this information should also be listed under the "My Earnings" tab.

Currently, you do not receive a notification and the payment is not labeled in the "My Earnings" tab.

Thanks.

•••
I have had names get 0 out of 16 votes that are at other established brandable marketplaces at a much higher price than they would typically get at SH. I have also had quite a few 2 or 3 out of 15/16/17 for similar names published at other marketplaces. Today all of my previously rejected names were rejected again after around a month waiting for re-submission review.
I do find the busier they seem to get, the more likely they are to reject. This also seems to happen at certain times in a month.

I have also had a name with 6/20 votes, be rejected by the internal team.
It just seems to vary. Some of the names with hardly any votes were arguably better, and more valuable.

A couple of the names rejected again today after review, with maybe 3 votes or less, are more likely to sell.

I think you just have to take some of this at it comes, subjective decisions, where it is their marketplace and they decide. That is fine with me.

Last edited:
•••
There is one interesting fact. There was 1 domain that I bought especially to list it on Squadhelp. But their internal team rejected the domain 1 year ago. The domain is cleanexa /.com /
After 1 year I left the domain to expire, because my initial idea was to sell it on Squadhelp with logo, not on Dan.com
Now I see someone registered Cleanexa on 2020-02-20 and the domain had been accepted on Squadhelp and sold after 2 months for sale on SH.
---
Also my best sales on Dan and Brandpa are rejected domains from Squadhelp.
One is Disinfectech/.com , sold for $4950 on DAN.com, 10 days after rejection
It's a pandemic, covid-19 and they/expert reviewers/ reject domains like Disinfectech ... where is the logic? O_o

Last edited:
•••
I think you just have to take some of this at it comes, subjective decisions, where it is their marketplace and they decide. That is fine with me.

I don't believe we should have to accept reviews by a small group of competing sellers.

I also don't believe we should have to accept reviews conducted by polls. The polls literally ask "which name do you like the most?" There is more to domaining than "like" / "dislike".

Squadhelp gets many things right.

With reviews, I think they have veered off in a very wrong direction.

Last edited:
•••
My issue has been resolved thanks to Deni.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
@DomainBanana I understand your points. SH consistently seem open to adjusting, innovating and working with feedback given by sellers. They won't get everything right, no, none of us do. If enough sellers don't see the value in their new domain process, or have an issue with it, it seems SH would be open to changing it.

•••
Squadhelp has upheld its decision to remove me from the standard review process based on my criticism of the review process here.

I have expended a great deal of time and effort trying to resolve this situation. I spoke to Grant on the phone last week, and he assured me the issue would be resolved through customer support. I sent an email to Darpan. I have made several calls and have tried to communicate with Jonathan through the blue-button.

All of this effort has yielded the same reply:

Unfortunately, we can no longer offer the Expert Review submission process for your account. We may revisit this in the next few months.

My criticisms might have come across as too harsh in the past and for that I apologize.

I do not believe my comments have warranted the strong restrictions currently placed on my account. It is not right to punish sellers for critical remarks.

I am always focused on justice and improving this marketplace for all stakeholders involved.

I would be grateful if Squadhelp would do the right thing and quickly restore my account so we can continue a productive working relationship.

Last edited:
•••
My issue has been resolved thanks to Deni.

Deni is a rockstar!

Sometimes I wonder if she sets the bar too high for other SH employees (y)

She solved an issue for me earlier today as well.

Turns out one of the domains I purchased from @Riz M.'s famous Empire Names bargain domains was previously a SH premium domain. #score

Squadhelp has upheld their decision to sabotage my account based on my criticism of the review process here.

I am very disappointed to see a marketplace retaliate against a seller for criticizing its policies.

I will not be intimidated or silenced by Squadhelp's draconian behavior.

I will continue to advocate for sellers and will make sure Squadhelp's act of sabotage is well known

I hear ya.

And as somebody who has sent one or two 🖕 to SH in passionate feedback, this might sound odd coming from me, but I think SquadHelp is trying their best.

I get trying and best are both subjective metrics.

As, it also appears you are also trying your best to keep sellers best interest in mind.

Could your approach be better? Sure.

Could SH be better? Absolutely.

My point being,

I appreciate both you and SH efforts.

Hopefully, in time, both yours and SH efforts will once again be in harmony. As I don't see a problem in having sellers best interest at heart.

Last edited:
•••
@Grilled I have had the same experience with Deni generally, she is great. In fact, I have found the standard of customer care with all of their staff to be really excellent.

•••
I think SquadHelp is trying their best.

Thanks, Grilled.

It is very hard for me to give Squadhelp the benefit of the doubt when they have deliberately messed up my account.

I think you and others would feel the same in my position.

•••
The featured sales section in the marketplace dashboard now shows the seller and time to sell. Nice!

111.JPG

•••
Thanks, Grilled.

It is very hard for me to give Squadhelp the benefit of the doubt when they have deliberately messed up my account.

I think you and others would feel the same in my position.

Before we make me the standard to follow, I'm just a member trying to do better.

I've probably told SH a lot worse for a lot less.

@Bob Hawkes generally has a good head on things.

When in doubt, what would Bob do?

Last edited:
•••
This action against me will amplify my criticisms a thousand times!

I think that is the beauty of the internet.

At your expense, SH may receive some valuable feedback.

Your feedback may be harsh. But at the end of the day, it's still feedback. And somebody, somewhere within SH, be it @GrantP, or any number of other SH employee's will have to consider/answer to (publicly/internally) to your feedback. And what doesn't put them out of business, will make them stronger.

Alternatively, on your end, having been at a heated level with brandable marketplace(s) (x3) before, all I can say, is set boundaries, and do your best to not allow any of this to effect your daily life.

I read lot's of fire in your post. I don't know how you burn. Sleepless nights chasing the rabbit hole, while what doesn't put you out of business, makes you stronger as well, I'm not so sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

You are a welcomed member of the brandable domain community. I'm sure SH recognizes that. Though, they have their boundaries as well. Your perspective is probably coming from a point of view they don't quite understand. And everybody's emotions/wellness has to be looked at, staff, sellers, and buyers alike.

Of course, there is the, "Oh, you think that crossed the line? You haven't seen nothing yet approach." But what does that solve? Possibly fixing a few holes? Having patched random many internet holes, while my approach may have been effective, often I regret having to go that way, when there might have been a better way, perhaps a way Bob would have taken.

Below is a 2017 example of my reaction after my account was closed at BrandRoot...

https://www.namepros.com/threads/brandroot-experience.832657/page-9#post-6229640

Long story short, they sold a domain that I had dropped, and HugeDomains had picked up. A customer bought it for less on brandroot. I quickly responded that the domain was owned by hugedomains. BrandRoot closed my account. I pointed out other examples of currently listed brandroot domains that were listed at HugeDomains, then BrandRoot quickly patched the hole.

Sometimes heated feedback = action taken in the benefit of the company, but at your expense (or time).

Yet, what that said, I'm still quite curious to what a cool, calm, and collected member such as @Bob Hawkes would do in a situation like this.

Additionally, I expect my account either at SH, or elsewhere will have action taken against it. And if you could remind me of this comment, or approach me in a similar fashion, I may not appreciate then, but I'd likely appreciate it later.

Last edited:
•••
Guys, don't get discouraged if your names get rejected by an expert panel or reviewers neither at SH, nor BB or BP.

First of all, the reviewers are probably domain investors without any formal branding education or work experience. Second, most of them have probably never built a startup or traditional business, beyond their domain side gig and they are not really the target audience to be able to say if the name works or not. Third, they probably represent the same affinity group, meaning they have a lot of common and will probably like/dislike the same types of names, plus, probably are heavily influenced by SH guidelines and internal discussions with them.

Just to give one example, my BB rejects were taken on by BR and sold at higher rates than BB accepted ones, my BB/BR rejected ones were gladly taken on by BP and sold at better rate. My BB/BR/BP rejected ones sold just fine on Afternic or directly. The types that BB was at the time touting as great names and auto accepting anything fitting the pattern, stopped selling at all once BB lost their clout with the buyers.

Anyway, in short, don't feel rejected or on the wrong path just because of your names not being accepted on a platform. This is just one of signals and should be used like that.

•••
I think that is the beauty of the internet.

At your expense, SH may receive some valuable feedback.

Your feedback may be harsh. But at the end of the day, it's still feedback. And somebody, somewhere within SH, be it @GrantP, or any number of other SH employee's will have to consider/answer to (publicly/internally) to your feedback. And what doesn't put them out of business, will make them stronger.

Alternatively, on your end, having been at a heated level with a brandable marketplace (x2), all I can say, is set boundaries, and do your best to not allow any of this effect your daily life.

I read lot's of fire in your post. I don't know how you burn. Sleepless nights chasing the rabbit whole, while what doesn't put you out of business, makes you stronger as well, I'm not so sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

You are a welcomed member of the brandable domain community. I'm sure SH recognizes that. Though, they have their boundaries as well. Your perspective is probably coming from a point of view they don't quite understand. And everybody's emotions/wellness has to be looked at, staff, sellers, and buyers alike.

Of course, there is the, "Oh, you think that crossed the line? You haven't seen nothing yet approach." But what does that solve? Possibly fixing a few holes? Having patched random many internet holes, while my approach may have been effective, often I regret having to go that way, when there might have been a better way, perhaps a way Bob would have taken.

Below is a 2017 example of my reaction after my account was closed at BrandRoot...

https://www.namepros.com/threads/brandroot-experience.832657/page-9#post-6229640

Long story short, they sold a domain that I had dropped, and HugeDomains had picked up. A customer bought it for less on brandroot. I quickly responded that the domain was owned by hugedomains. BrandRoot closed my account. I pointed out other examples of currently listed brandroot domains that were listed at HugeDomains, then BrandRoot quickly patched the hole.

Sometimes heated feedback = action taken in the benefit of the company, but at your expense (or time).

Yet, what that said, I'm still quite curious to what a cool, calm, and collected member such as @Bob Hawkes would do in a situation like this.

Additionally, I expect my account either at SH, or elsewhere will have action taken against it. And if you could remind me of this comment, or approach me in a similar fashion, I may not appreciate then, but I'd likely appreciate it later.

Thanks, @Grilled. I appreciate you looking at both sides and advocating for the calm and collected approach, which is usually the best way.

If Squadhelp could restore my account to the standard review process, that would go a long way toward diffusing the tension.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back