Dynadot

SQL mime type

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SiKing

Registered MemberEstablished Member
Impact
Just a quickie. I was just need to know what mime type I should use to upload .sql files. I'm currently using 'text/plain' for .txt files. Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Using text/plain is correct. It doesn't really matter too much though...the main purpose of specifying the mime type is for the browsers to know what to do w/ the file, unless ya have a script that looks at the mime type or something on uploads.

•••
Yeah, sorry - I should have made that clear. Its a script which handles uploads. I need it to verify it's a .sql file rather than a .txt file. Thanks

•••
You can try application/x-sql as the mimetype. I don't know how well supported that is though...

•••
using an sql mime type just isnt going to work unless the user uploading has used a specific SQL editor that can support it. when im working with SQL queries i use notepad and just save as plain text.

i think you need to open the document up on the server and validate some part of it like check that you can find either an INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE and SET (

stuff like that otherwise its just not going to work.

•••
Awesome, thanks for the help Adam and monaco. I'll just stick to .txt documents

•••
•••
Check the ext to see if it's .sql. Of course it's not guaranteed to contain plain text (if it will be used by someone else than you). Also, I don't recommend relying too much on the MIME type because it it set by the browser and sometimes you may get unexpected MIME descriptors.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back