Dynadot

Sorry for asking this but...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This is probably the wrong place to ask but I have an excel problem that is driving me crazy.

I need a formula to add another cell's contents to this cell. in programming it would be something like a=a+b but in excel it creates a circular error. Are there variables in excel, or another simple way of doing this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I'm not sure that works..let me clarify

in cell B1 I want to put =B1+A1, so that B1 keeps a running total (sum) of all the numbers that were in A1 (ie. whenever A1 changes, it's added to B1)

•••
This is probably the wrong place to ask but I have an excel problem that is driving me crazy.

I need a formula to add another cell's contents to this cell. in programming it would be something like a=a+b but in excel it creates a circular error. Are there variables in excel, or another simple way of doing this?

Use a third cell? c=a+b

•••
•••

Last edited:
•••
I'm not sure that works..let me clarify

in cell B1 I want to put =B1+A1, so that B1 keeps a running total (sum) of all the numbers that were in A1 (ie. whenever A1 changes, it's added to B1)

It seems B1 contains a constant figure plus A1 that is ever changing. I agree, creating a third cell should resolve your problem.

•••
It seems B1 contains a constant figure plus A1 that is ever changing. I agree, creating a third cell should resolve your problem.

B1 is not constant, it keeps a running total of all the numbers that have been in A1. (that's why I want it to equal what it was, plus the new figure)
The previous poster was correct

•••
you need to put the forumula in another cell e.g in c1 put =a1 + b1

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back