IT.COM

Something Fishy Is Going On With Snapnames

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

silentg

DomainRetail.comTop Member
Impact
I was bidding on 3 domains that was supposed to end today on SnapNames. They extended the auction for another 24 hours. They extended the name for no reason at all. It all just smells fishy.

I tried accessing their support section and it doesn't resolve. I tried sending an e-mail and I got a auto reply from Oversee. Those who don't know about the sale, Oversee doesn't own SnapNames and Moniker anymore.

I tried to even send an e-mail to their corporate e-mail and it bounces.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lately I've been suspicious of snap and godaddy.

I backordered a domain at godaddy and know they always go to auction. They never sent me an email alert when the auction started. They sent an email 2 hours after auction close saying I was outbid. Only 2 bidders total and a proxy bid won. If it was proxy it would have placed ahead of the closing time and I should have been alerted. This was just 2 days ago!

•••
I see snapnames quite often lately being accused of crap - how come none of their reps
pop in to straighten it out?

Bad for business having these accusations of funny business
or questionable practices all over the internet :|

•••
Just my personal opinion :rolleyes: but I do not trust snap and do not use them anymore and I have my reasons..

•••
I also noticed that GD has more shill bidders and non payers now. Sedo has been letting scammers sell IDN names that look like JP.com, AS.com. Noobs are getting fooled.

•••
again.. this is just my opinion but .. the shit has always been there I just think domainers as a whole have become more aware ...

•••
I see snapnames quite often lately being accused of crap - how come none of their reps
pop in to straighten it out?

Bad for business having these accusations of funny business
or questionable practices all over the internet :|

They had Bari who used to offer support on DNF and they got rid of her before the company was sold to Key Systems. They got rid of so many great customer reps.

I am only with Moniker because I never had issues with Phishing scams and their back-end is nice and simple compared to GoDaddy (they just made it worse with recent update).

•••
again.. this is just my opinion but .. the shit has always been there I just think domainers as a whole have become more aware ...

Yup.

I emailed support 2 days ago to ask why an expired domain couldn't be backordered. The rep asked for the specific domain which I provided. Would you believe, no response back with an answer?!

•••
I never use snap for the reasons mentioned. Go Daddy I track a lot of auctions it seems like a lot of the four figures have not been non paying silent, because they will change in your watch list. I did see that a lot last November where auction closed at $1582 and then two days later it still in watch list but showed price of $36. I emailed and they said they cancelled bids that were either error or they thought not legit.

•••
I was bidding on 3 domains that was supposed to end today on SnapNames. They extended the auction for another 24 hours. They extended the name for no reason at all. It all just smells fishy.

I tried accessing their support section and it doesn't resolve. I tried sending an e-mail and I got a auto reply from Oversee. Those who don't know about the sale, Oversee doesn't own SnapNames and Moniker anymore.

I tried to even send an e-mail to their corporate e-mail and it bounces.

FWIW, they now have this across the header of their site:

A number of our customers have experienced difficulty reaching our website today and therefore were unable to bid.
In order to maintain auction integrity and to provide a fair and equitable bidding experience to our customers, we have extended the end date of these auctions 24 hours.

•••
Yup.

I emailed support 2 days ago to ask why an expired domain couldn't be backordered. The rep asked for the specific domain which I provided. Would you believe, no response back with an answer?!

They take their time to respond to support requests. They take normally 2-3 business days to respond even though on their support page they say the exact hours they'll respond within.

•••
They have just posted a reason for the extended auctions on the top of their website.

But to be honest they're auctions have always been a bit " dodgy ".From past experience they have an amazing number of bidders that come from nowhere suddenly to bid you up.

I stay well clear of them...

•••
They definitely had something weird going on this morning. I got a "server not responding" error for about 1.5 hours today and site would not load.

•••
SnapNames just posted this "A number of our customers have experienced difficulty reaching our website today and therefore were unable to bid.
In order to maintain auction integrity and to provide a fair and equitable bidding experience to our customers, we have extended the end date of these auctions 24 hours." Extending the auction will only benefit SnapNames.

•••
Ahhh I got tired of the Snapnames b*llshit a long time ago. I suspected some really shady business tactics going on behind the scenes a long time ago. I contacted Snapnames and Name.com about certain "issues" several months ago, but all they gave me was some random explanation that had nothing to do with my questions.

Here is a great example:

-Two .com domains we had backordered were listed for more than 12 hours after the backorder deadline.
-As soon as the domains disappeared they went into whois privacy mode.
-When typing the domain name into the address bar 24 hours later it forwarded all visitors to a sedo parking page. On the standard sedo parking page it said "This domain may be for sale by its owner" with a link for more info.
-The nameservers were set to ns1.sedoparking.com and ns2.sedoparking.com
-When clicking the sedo "More info" link, it usually takes us to a detailed "Offer page" on the sedo platform.
-Instead, the link forwarded the potential buyers to a name.com offer page, where you could make a minimum offer of $250 for the domain.
-So, just for kicks I placed a $250 offer to see what happens.
-A name representative contacted me 3-4 business days later telling me the new owner (hidden behind whois privacy) wanted $1200 for the domain.

Does anyone get the picture here?

This very same issue has been highlighted over at Domaingang where a british domainer sued Snapnames - http://domaingang.com/domain-news/snapnames-sorry-the-bin-is-now-1812/

I think the backorder issue is related to the registrar, not Snapnames itself. I suspect the registars like Name.com feel they aren't getting the money they "want" for certain backordered domains, so they snag the domains themselves and put them up for sale.

I contacted name.com about this issue when I noticed the same pattern for 5-6 different domains. They claimed all domains were picked up by new owners.

1)Funny how all "new owners" are hidden behind "whois privacy".
2)Funny how all new owners decide to sell their names through some crappy Name.com "Make offer" page, redirected from a Sedo parking page.
3)Even more funny is the fact that the new owners acquire these domains without any auction ever taking place, even if I placed a bid on several domains.
4)Funny how ALL dropping names with these issues are registered at Name.com

If they're really picked up by new owners, why are they listed for more than 12 hours after the backorder deadline? Why is there no auction?

Why would Name.com waste so much time/energy as the middle man between the "new owner" and any potential buyer?

In the end I think it comes down to shady business tactics and greed. I hate it when others waste my time, and that's exactly what these companies are doing. That's why we're not doing any business on the Snapnames platform anymore.

•••
They must of hired back Halverez

•••
•••
A few months back I read a lot of information on Name.com names that were part of SnapNames.com "pre-release" that would then get pulled away and hidden behind privacy.

It's no different than Tucows/YummyNames. Too much interest in their names and they get "renewed" and pushed to YummyNames for sale. They keep about 2% of all expired names.

Berkens has I believed blogged on both of these issues.

•••
They take their time to respond to support requests. They take normally 2-3 business days to respond even though on their support page they say the exact hours they'll respond within.

I got a response this morning which said the domain was auctioned on February 23. It still shows expired at the current register and the parking page which also shows expired is still resolving.

I'm confused on this one :-/

•••
I remember they were doing some shady stuff a number of years back. So, it wouldn't surprise me if they were still up to no good.

•••

Glad to know I was not the only one who experienced this! I thought I was going crazy, because I was 101% sure the auction would end 24 hours earlier! Amazing

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back