IT.COM

So I can buy .eu now if I wanted? "Public body"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

downloadfreak

Account Closed
Impact
So godaddy allows .eu (sunrise period) only if you are:

i. As the holder of a registered trademark -- your domain name corresponds with a registered national trademark or registered community (EU) trademarks.
ii. As a public body -- your domain name corresponds with the full name of the public body; the acronym by which the public body is commonly known; or if applicable, the territory which is governed by the public body.
iii. As a holder of other prior rights -- your domain name corresponds to other rights that are protected under the national law of the member state where they are held such as: company names, business identifiers, distinctive titles of protected literary and artistic work, unregistered trademarks, or trade names.

I live in europe, the name I want is available and would cost $88 if I said I was within a public body, I can checkout and pay by paypal ... but ofcourse i'm not with a "public body" so would I get away with this .. would I get my money back if I took the risk and they found out?

I'm just a bit confused, thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i wouldnt risk it but its up to you, you might get caught i have never used that re seller so i dont know if they do checks.

•••
thanks, I mean I represent a group of people in europe BUT a public body is more of a "council" type thing isn't it and not to mention the domain has to be related to the public bodies name so "hmm :S"

•••
it wouldnt work, price waterhouse cooper will check all applications. the public body thing is probably the one part of eurids sunrise procedure that can't be abused.

•••
I went through the searching and got to the purchase screen when I hit that brick wall. I was left twisting in the wind. Maybe it's for the best.

I'm not an EU citizen, but I gleaned from the "holder of prior rights" statement that if your business consists of something that the name you apply for could be tied to, then your "in like Flynn." It looks like they are being VERY careful to restrict the .eu names to established businesses and are maybe trying to squash name speculation.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back