Domain Empire

.mobi Seanboy's .Mobi Experiment

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Since premium names will cost way more than I can afford, and all of the NNN.mobis and most of the LLL.mobis are gone, I decided to register the numerical equivalent of some premium names. IMO these are easier to type into a keypad (QUERTYS being the exception) than the actual names themselves:

8255.mobi (talk.mobi)
72346.mobi (radio.mobi)
872835.mobi (travel.mobi)
786257.mobi (stocks.mobi)
843367.mobi (videos.mobi)
668437.mobi (movies.mobi)
62228.mobi (macau.mobi....macau is actually on the reserved name list)

There are still quite a bit of these left. Was this a good decision on my part? I guess time will tell. If not, oh well, it didn't cost too much to reg these names anyway. I'm a newbie and at least I had the chance to experience a new TLD landrush. What are your opinions?

Thanks,

seanboy

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
seanboy said:
Since premium names will cost way more than I can afford, and all of the NNN.mobis and most of the LLL.mobis are gone, I decided to register the numerical equivalent of some premium names. IMO these are easier to type into a keypad (QUERTYS being the exception) than the actual names themselves:

8255.mobi (talk.mobi)
72346.mobi (radio.mobi)
872835.mobi (travel.mobi)
786257.mobi (stocks.mobi)
843367.mobi (videos.mobi)
668437.mobi (movies.mobi)
62228.mobi (macau.mobi....macau is actually on the reserved name list)

There are still quite a bit of these left. Was this a good decision on my part? I guess time will tell. If not, oh well, it didn't cost too much to reg these names anyway. I'm a newbie and at least I had the chance to experience a new TLD landrush. What are your opinions?

Thanks,

seanboy

Not too sure? But I thought of this before landrush and successfully registered some NNN.mobi's relating to premium LLL. I guess we'll just have to wait and see..

•••
Interesting experiment, Sean. My question is how would a company go about marketing a domain like 872835.mobi? The average person would see this domain as a random six digit number, with no memorability factor, so somehow the company would need to inform them of the significance without confusing them. Any thoughts on this?

•••
I suppose if they had this in their adverts it may work:

"visit talk.mobi (8255.mobi)" it may work. However as default when you are entering a website address on a moble it switches to letters. Also, if someone has the option to goto talk.mobi or 8255.mobi which do you think they would pick? :)

•••
-RJ- said:
Interesting experiment, Sean. My question is how would a company go about marketing a domain like 872835.mobi? The average person would see this domain as a random six digit number, with no memorability factor, so somehow the company would need to inform them of the significance without confusing them. Any thoughts on this?

My theory is that you wouldn't really have to remember these names. Its sort of like a phone number, like for example 1-800-GET-JOBS. Most people know the layouts of the numbers on a keypad, its second nature to us. A person would dial 1-800-438-5627, and wouldn't think twice about it. We can easile look at the keypad and see that "abc" are on #2, "def" on #3, and so on. Another example is when someone sends, say, a text to google's sms service. They send the sms to 466453. They already know where the letters are on the keypad just by looking at it, and its easier than actually typing out the word itself. Hope I didn't confuse you, but its late here, and I need to sleep soon :)

rmwebs said:
I suppose if they had this in their adverts it may work:

"visit talk.mobi (8255.mobi)" it may work. However as default when you are entering a website address on a moble it switches to letters. Also, if someone has the option to goto talk.mobi or 8255.mobi which do you think they would pick? :)

I have a razr, and I can switch to numbers just by holding down a key. It's different for other phones. Also, it takes fewer strokes to type in the number than the words.

OK, i HAVE to sleep now...I will check the thread in the morning :)

Last edited:
•••
Keep in mind that a significant portion of mobile internet users have smart phones wide enough for qwerty style keypads and would have trouble with those kind of names, so don't go overboard.

•••
I thing the question would be is what is someone ownes talk.mobi then you would run into some kinda conflict by advertising "visit talk.mobi (8255.mobi)" IMO I think this will backfire as those who own the alpha version will no doubt complain and even might take you to court. Not to mention the confusion it would cause, you have to remember that the majority of people do not have the vast amount of tech knowledge we do so alot of people might not be able to decipher the two .mobi name thinking they are one in the same....almost like some kinda twilight zone typo :()

•••
mobidick said:
Keep in mind that a significant portion of mobile internet users have smart phones wide enough for qwerty style keypads and would have trouble with those kind of names, so don't go overboard.
I agree, in addition 5 years from now it will most likely all be voice or some other easyer command - I do not think we will be interacting with portable devices the same as we do now....

•••
Good points...that is one thing I have been trying to keep in mind is that the technology for these .mobi names is going to change and we need to reg now for that fact. Also keep in mind that we the people here in the good 'ol U.S.A are slacking behind the rest of the bunch as far as technology with mobile device.....

•••
Hey Seanboy I took a similiar approach with one of my .mobi's.
28746377.mobi care to take a guess at what it is?
it spells business.

•••
i think some short numbers will work but please keep in mind that the whole point of having a url and dns servers is because people tend not to remember numbers that are longer than 3-4 digits.

if you are one of the lucky few with photographic memories, you can bypass the domain names and simply type in the ip addresses.

good luck with your investment!

•••
I guess the beauty of this is that none of us knows for sure what will actually happen with .mobi. If I was wrong, I did insure my investments with a few decent names:

esupport.mobi
StandBy.mobi
osu.mobi

Keep your thoughts coming, thanks!

•••
•••
•••
I think all cellphones will have voice activated web browsing in the not too distant future AND everything will go dot mobi.

In 2010 you will just say into your phone JoesLocalPizza.mobi and the site will come up with a menu and an option to call the number and order.

That's how HUGE I see .mobi to be.

With regards to numbers.mobi, I think I have to vote against since I am betting on voice activated dialing and browsing so people will say words not numbers but good strategy if I am wrong.

Good luck.

•••
seanboy said:
I guess the beauty of this is that none of us knows for sure what will actually happen with .mobi. If I was wrong, I did insure my investments with a few decent names:

esupport.mobi
StandBy.mobi
osu.mobi

Keep your thoughts coming, thanks!

I like "esupport"!

seanboy said:
What I didn't understand...If you look at the premium and reserve name list, there are a few numbers on that list, but I can't make out what they stand for or why they're on the list. Does anyone have any ideas?

What are these numbers? where are the premium names listed?

•••
•••
Interesting concept, its a little like the 1800 thing in reverse.
From a typo viewpoint, how often would these types of users find themselves in numeric mode as opposed to alpha mode without noticing. I suppose thats the $64K the question.

•••
lol...did anyone know that "soccermoms" was a premium name?

•••
Numerical Nightmares

seanboy said:
Thanks, have taken a look, and it seems some are phone numbers, others maybe ZIP-codes, and at least one goes along with my theory (below) e.g . "699935" for "MYDJ"

omnia said:
Interesting concept, its a little like the 1800 thing in reverse.
From a typo viewpoint, how often would these types of users find themselves in numeric mode as opposed to alpha mode without noticing. I suppose thats the $64K the question.
Hmmm... but then, wouldnt they type some gobbledgook like "66-2-6-33-7777-666-7777" for "NAMEPROS" (i.e. to get the N, would normally be two presses of #6, and to get the "PR" would be "7, pause, 777"

This gets quite complicated, and the user would surely realise their mistake.
Even if they didn't realise, one would have to register "66263377776667777.mobi" for "NAMEPROS" ! ! !

The 1800 reverse idea is good though, and I think that Seanboy's original premise is certainly worth a lot more thought.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back