Dynadot

Running automated queries on a government database without their permission - legal?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

I've been working on a script to check for TM issues for the automated appraisals at DomainTops. Then I got thinking, is this legal?

Running automated queries (just 1 per automated appraisal though) on a government server ...?

Should I ask permission? If so, how?

Thanks,
-Matt

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great -_- Will anyone care to give me some advice?

•••
You mean querying USPTO's servers to see if there's a trademark for a name
searched inside DomainTops? Why not ask USPTO?

•••
•••
Whooops...found this from USPTO's site:

The USPTO databases are intended for use by the general public. Due to limitations of equipment and bandwidth, they are not intended to be a source for bulk downloads of USPTO data. Bulk data may be purchased from USPTO at cost (see the USPTO Products and Services Catalog). Individuals, companies, IP addresses, or blocks of IP addresses who, in effect, deny or decrease service to the general public by generating unusually high numbers of daily database accesses (searches, pages, or hits), whether generated manually or in an automated fashion, may be denied access to these servers without notice.

You can contact them at http://www.uspto.gov/web/menu/feedback.html.

•••
darn darn darn darn darn darn darn darn darn darn darn!

I don't have any money .... :'(

•••
compuXP said:
darn darn darn darn darn darn darn darn darn darn darn!

I don't have any money .... :'(

:(
Download part of their database one and put it into your database to access :P? Or you could just wait and see what happens :guilty:

•••
Do you realize how HUGE that database is?

•••
Why don't you mail them and tell them about your project and the expected load on their database?
You never know, they may have a good day and allow you to access it for free.. :)

•••
Lol, I don't think the US government has a good day anymore, unfortunately :(

•••
I think you'll just have to settle to linking to their database and getting people to go off your site to search it. (Assuming this is for a web project)

Knowing the US's fantastic government I dont expect paying to run queries on their databases will be cheap. ;)

•••
Well your first problem was actually seeing if what you were doing was illegal, you should of done what most members of NP do and that is just go ahead, do whatever you want and then hope you don't get caught and pretend you never knew it was wrong in the first place. Check out the domains section for some ideas on how to go about illegal activities without feeling guilty.

•••
compuXP said:
Running automated queries (just 1 per automated appraisal though) on a government server ...?

One automated query would hardly be considered a "bulk download".

•••
Yeah, but that's "per appraisal". If, by pure freak chance, the site becomes popular, it WOULD end up becoming fairly constant querying...

•••
Im not too sure about it, but I bet it isnt legal.

•••
If the site got so wildly popular you would surely be making enough off of advertising to pay for the access you needed, wouldn't you? How many queries would you need to do per day?

•••
-RJ- said:
One automated query would hardly be considered a "bulk download".

I agree, I think it more than likely applies to checking off lists of 20k dropped domains against their list.

•••
Hm... alright... I'll see how I can work around this. I'll watch the stats these next few days and let you know if I do or not.

•••
USPTO databases are available on CD-ROM and DVD products.

If you look for the Patent and Trademark Depository Library Program (PTDLP) on their site, you will find the location of the PTDL nearest to you (they are all over the country, mostly at college libraries).

The United States government cannot claim a copyright in the works it produces.

Now, put those three statements of fact together, and you should have a plan.

•••
Thanks to you that have actually answered or attempted to answer the Question compuXP placed before us ....

rivux said:
Well your first problem was actually seeing if what you were doing was illegal, you should of done what most members of NP do and that is just go ahead, do whatever you want and then hope you don't get caught and pretend you never knew it was wrong in the first place. Check out the domains section for some ideas on how to go about illegal activities without feeling guilty.

^^ This is the Dumbest Most Off-Topic reply I think I've seen for any Question in the History of NamePros ...... almost Spammish IMO -

•••
:lol:

jberry, I've added to your rep :) Thanks so much! ^_^

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back