IT.COM

question Questions about WHOis info: Can I use nickname, and can I update after a year of moving?

NameSilo
Watch

Carguy5

Impact
Noob questions:

1. I originally regged my domain names using a nickname for my WhoIs: (example: using "Alex" isn't of using full legal first name "Alexander"). Is this allowed under icann registration rules? Are rules strict, or do they allow for reasonable shortened version of name like Alex for Alexander or kev for kevin? I want to follow the rules and avoid challenges in the future. I started to write in and change my first name in godaddy whois section for a domain and it brings up "new agreements" that I need to agree to, looks like they're agreements referencing knowledge of "transferring the domain" "new registrant" and other notifications so I got a little confused. Can I just change my whois from Alex to Alexander without any trouble? Are the new agreements just due diligence from godaddy thinking the domain might be transferring hands, Or is it easiest to just leave it as alex and not face some sort of headache.

2. Also, I moved about year ago to a different home in different state, but forgot to update my WhoIs info (my address) until today almost a year later.

Should I update my address quickly? My phone and email are good its just that my home address hasn't been updated. I would like to update my address and there won't be any issues or challenges in the future For this lag in updating my info, correct?

Ultimately I want my domains to be mine and not face any rules and regulation violations

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I doubt anyone would care: Alex vs Alexander. Your home address should be updated. Most likely you never will use it, but it is best. Overall ICANN is lax about these things, the only real issue is trademarks - avoid those and you solve most of the problems: USPTO.gov > TESS

Changing any address info at Godaddy starts a 60 day lock preventing transfer away from Godaddy. This is to help prevent domain theft. You could still transfer (push) to another Godaddy account before the 60 days ended.

Welcome to the amazing world pf domains!

•••
In brief: de facto no any challenges, but de jure it is mandatory to keep your information accurate and actual.

•••
I doubt anyone would care: Alex vs Alexander. Your home address should be updated. Most likely you never will use it, but it is best. Overall ICANN is lax about these things, the only real issue is trademarks - avoid those and you solve most of the problems: USPTO.gov > TESS

Changing any address info at Godaddy starts a 60 day lock preventing transfer away from Godaddy. This is to help prevent domain theft. You could still transfer (push) to another Godaddy account before the 60 days ended.

Welcome to the amazing world pf domains!
You can opt out of the IRTP lock at GD

•••
1) Log in to your account
2) Go to "My Domains"
3) Click on the domain name you want to change the info on
4) There is an option right there to edit contacts or
you can click the "Contacts" Tab and do it there.

•••
some people even use fantasy name from fakenamegenerator LOL

•••
if the domain less valuable that's ok! if domain 3L, better not change anything that can make you sorry!
and as far as I know if your whois info is not accurate Icann have right to take the domain from you! :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back