IT.COM

Question on Copying of Forum Posters Comments

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
In relation to this thread:

http://www.namepros.com/ppc-cpc-cpm...rketplaces.html?highlight=adbrite+marketplace

I found that a member here, zk0, has copied word for word my post for his own blog comment, @ blogspot. The site refreshes to a new one after 5 seconds (press ESC beforehand). The new site doesn't contain the comments.

Now, what gets me is that I don't remember them asking me permission to use my comments for their own profit!

Would you say this is petty of me?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah that's not cool at all. RJ should ban his account imho. He doesn't have permission to copy members posts in such a manner. I suggest you contact him as well expressing your concern and that you will be seeking a legal recourse.

•••
Look's like he's also copied Shan post.

•••
Uncool. Have you asked him to remove it?

•••
Not yet, I will when I get home form college

•••
To: [email protected]

In relation to this web-page(http://easywebbers.blogspot.com/2006/05/adbrite-is-about-to-launch-3-new.html):

I ask that you remove the content which you copied without permission from the NamePros board immediately. If this is not addressed, I will be looking into compensation in relation to the usage of my comments without my permission for a profit.

However, if the comment is removed, all will be forgiven.

-Sincerly

D H Scott

I wouldn't mind so long as my permission was asked to be fair, but it wasn't.

Just because it's on the internet, it doesn't give you a right to copy and paste it for your own profitable use, unfortunately, some would say.

I probably should have added which comment, but I guess it's obvious from that I sent it from admin@qwhois...

•••
Copying content from namepros threads should be specified as illegal in the terms and conditions.

I think RJ will take some action towards this. Bcoz we don't want NP's content to be copied and pasted all over the internet.

qwhois you maybe right. But I think as you and me and many other posters has posted their comments on namepros then the content is now a property of Namepros.

So hopefully RJ will take some action in this kind of matters.

•••
nick_mayhem said:
Copying content from namepros threads should be specified as illegal in the terms and conditions.

I think RJ will take some action towards this. Bcoz we don't want NP's content to be copied and pasted all over the internet.

qwhois you maybe right. But I think as you and me and many other posters has posted their comments on namepros then the content is now a property of Namepros.

So hopefully RJ will take some action in this kind of matters.

I believe it's actually the property of the poster as a kind of legal get-out clause for libel etc. Though I'm no lawyer so it's an interesting discussion

•••
Yes you may be right. But there will be some scenarios where Some newbie will say "Hi I am new here"

And maybe another newbie will also say same thing :) on some other forum.

Its interesting... I also don't know which way it goes.

•••
Namepros does NOT own the content of other people's messages ...

Even if NamePros tried stipulating they did, they'd likely not get far if challanged in court due to the nature of copyright law.

What NamePros has is a free, non-exclusive, non-revocable license to store and distribute people's messages within the context of NamePros' message board and closely related services.

In regards to enforcing copyright - that's primarily a matter for the posters to deal with, though in some limited instances it may be possible for a message board operator to act on the behalf of posters in copyright enforcement.

Ron

•••
Domangon is right about the copyrights.

However, I find it unacceptable for someone to copy any posts from here and pass them off elsewhere as their own material. It's illegal and unethical. qwhois, have you heard any reply back from zk0?

•••
Not yet no, just checked my email to be sure :td:

•••
My comment has been removed from the blog, I didn't receive a reply however offering an apology, so I can only guess they don't wish to reply

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back