.info PhevAutos.com---Phevs.Info New Hybrid

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
PhevAutos.com
Phevs.info

Prepare to Plug in for 100-mpg Hybrids
By Lauren DeFreest and Matthew de Paula

A new strain of gas/electric hybrid vehicles called plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, or PHEVs, represent the latest wave of fuel-efficiency-boosting technology being explored by carmakers and third-party firms. They promise to boost gas mileage to 100 mpg and beyond by running only on rechargeable electric batteries for limited distances. As the name suggests, they can be plugged in to recharge.

This plug-in Toyota Prius commissioned by environmental nonprofit CalCars is one of several prototypes built by EnergyCS. It routinely gets more than 130 mpg. The black circle on the left of the back bumper is a plug outlet.
Unlike gas/electric hybrids on the market now, which can't be plugged in, PHEVs require more batteries in order to run on electric power alone. So part of the process of converting an existing hybrid, such as the Toyota Prius, into a PHEV is to add more batteries, particularly newfangled ones like lithium-ion batteries, which are lighter and hold a charge longer than lead-acid or nickel metal hydride batteries.

No PHEVs are currently sold by major auto manufacturers, but Toyota recently pledged to pursue the technology and independent companies are working to convert existing hybrids into plug-ins. A small Southern California company called EnergyCS hopes to offer kits to convert 2004 and newer Toyota Priuses to PHEVs by the end of the year for a target cost of $12,000 per conversion, including installation.

But execs at big car manufacturers, such as Toyota and Ford, have said that PHEVs are still a long way off. And with some evidence that consumer interest in hybrid vehicles is beginning to wane (see Hybrid Downturn? section), PHEVs could face even greater challenges than simply developing reliable technology at a reasonable cost.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My question is what does this hybrid gas/electric vehicle really save? Yes the technology is cool and there is a lot to be gained in fuel efficiencies etc. but I doubt that this type of vehicle is the future.

All this electricity to power these vehicles must be generated and lets face the fact that most electricity is generated using hydrocarbon fuels and this doesn't even consider all the ozone produced by all these electric motors.

I know this is slightly off topic but not totally. That doesn't mean that the names are valueless. In fact nice work & I think the .info is worthy of development.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back