Domain Empire

Parodies and Copyright

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Is it illegal to use copyrighted material in parodies? I think I know the answer to this, but I'm just looking for some more opinions. Say I'm creating a cartoon and want to parody another cartoon character, is this legal?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
slipxaway said:
Is it illegal to use copyrighted material in parodies? I think I know the answer to this, but I'm just looking for some more opinions. Say I'm creating a cartoon and want to parody another cartoon character, is this legal?

IANAL but as far as I'm aware, parodys are quite legal unless you're somehow slandering or making libellious comments about the material in question, or are otherwise trying to publically reduce the credibility of the copyright owners.

The other thing to consider is, is your parody going to generate enough attention, that you possibly stand the chance of going to court? Unlikely eh ;)

•••
True, it's just a small thing I'm working on in my free time, but you never know, I've seen the dumbest things go off on a viral net frenzy. Like videos of a fat guy dancing and lip syncing... :)

Thanks for the response.

•••
slipxaway said:
True, it's just a small thing I'm working on in my free time, but you never know, I've seen the dumbest things go off on a viral net frenzy. Like videos of a fat guy dancing and lip syncing... :)

Thanks for the response.

Ah I'm sure we've all seen those videos :)

At the end of the day if it's made to make someone laugh, I very much doubt that any judge on the planet would see a problem with it and throw the book at you. As long as your intentions are harmless, then why the hell not :)

•••
God, I hope I dont get Judge Judy, that lady has no sense of humor!

•••
well if larry flynt can get away with insulting jerry farwell's mother in hustler magazine lol i think you will be alright

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back