IT.COM

.de Ownership issue of .de domain and Sedo auction

NameSilo
Watch
hey there,

as we all know .us domains are available for purchase to US residents and business entities. by the same token, .de domains are for German nationals.

now, i understand that neustar has no technical ability to monitor all the ccTLD domains being registered nor can they do spot checks on registrant info.

however, i see .de domains whose owners are not from Germany are sold on auction...

my question is particularly about Sedo (where a large number of .de domains are listed):

does Sedo reject listing requests/ payout of .de domains whose owners are not from Germany (based on unfounded ownership)?

Any feedbacl appreciated

Cheers!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.us != .de

Anybody can own a .de, but if the holder does not reside in Germany, then you need to appoint a local admin contact for the domain. But the registrant (holder) can be foreign/non-resident.

For .us it's different, the registrant must satisfy nexus requirements, in practice being a US national or resident, or a local company.
Basically ownership rules are more relaxed in .de.

•••
Anybody can own a .de, but if the holder does not reside in Germany, then you need to appoint a local admin contact for the domain. But the registrant (holder) can be foreign/non-resident.

For .us it's different, the registrant must satisfy nexus requirements, in practice being a US national or resident, or a local company.
Basically ownership rules are more relaxed in .de.

Thank you very much. I am from the US and was thinking of getting a .de domain and was wondering whether or not I can...

As far as .us domains go, I bought a few premium .us domains (strong keyword, cpc, seach volume) but realized that the previous owners werent from the US. I believe it happens on a reseller platform (domain push to another account without any 3rd party monitoring)

So basically what you're saying is that i cannot OWN a .de domain if i dont have a local ( Germany)admin contact.

Last edited:
•••
Many registrars can provide you with their local admin contact, even for free. Even godaddy does it I believe.

As for .us I know that many domainers are not in compliance with nexus rules :]

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back