Dynadot

domain NiMHbattery*com appaisal please.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HiTechBiniou

Established Member
Impact
I bough this on auction at NameJet for $230 and I was so happy with this purchase.

Estibot valued it at $24,000!

Two dictionary words with a PR3 aged registered August 1998.

I have check the metrics and it look fantastic:
  • Moz Rank 4/10
  • Moz Trust 4/10
  • Domain Authority (DA) 26/100
  • Page Authority (PA) 38/100
  • Citation Flow 24/100
  • Trust Flow 21/100
  • TF to CF ratio 0.87
  • Total Back Links 952
  • Total Ref Domains 238
  • Total Ref Edu Domains 2
  • Total Ref Edu Links 10
  • Total Indexed Pages 331
  • Total Ref IPs 220
  • Total social Shares 141
  • Total Facebook Shares 135
  • Total Facebook Likes 24
  • Google+ Shares 6
So I went ahead and post it on Flippa for a 14 days auction.

Guess what?

It didn't sell!

No bids, no comments, whatsoever... Like if I had not put it on for sale at Flippa. Is this purchase a complete flop?

I decided to develop an Amazon affiliate site on it to sell it as a website.

So, honestly, what do you thinks this domain name is worth?

I am new to domaining and there are things I must understand in order not to loose too much money...

I appreciate your help.

I like domainers community like NamePros.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This domain was an ecommerce site in the past, hence the excellent metrics.

These metrics (like PA/DA, PR, backlinks etc) are not intrinsic to the domain, but earned instead.
I would say they hold some value.

The name in itself is not great, despite the good search volume, because the product is very specific and not too expensive.
Without any development the domain is worth a few hundreds at most I believe.
Built out, it's another story, cause it's a business, not just a domain name. It would rank again easily I guess.

The question is how profitable this business would be. This I can't answer.

•••
I think it's worth what the buyers at Flippa thought it was worth. What would you use it for?

Just shows you the value of metrics and estibot...lest anyone was in any doubt.

Speaking of estibot, have any of their valuations ever been anywhere near the actual selling price????

You've learned a very good lesson from it. Don't forget it!

Don't get me wrong, I bought a name once (as opposed to "hand registering") that I thought was great, ended up letting it expire. Everyone has shared your experience, so you're in good company!

•••
Hey guys, thanks for your input.
Yes Charles, I guess I will cross my fingers and see how the sale of the website goes on Flippa as opposed to just the domain name.
I got carried away with the Estibot appraisal of $24,000 and bid on it until I won. Didn't have or didn't take the time to research before bidding and win it. nimhbattery is too specific as opposed to rechargeablebattery for instance.
I am getting there...
Thanks to help like fellows domainers like you, I will become a "fair" domainer.
Best regards from a newbie.

•••
This is a small end-user market, I think you will struggle to get a domainer/reseller to buy this from you. I also think you overpaid for it

1st Rule of Domaining: Dont use Estibot!!!

•••
For me, estibot is showing $37k valuation, ha ha. You should have paid double!

This is the kind of niche product name that was a good buy up until around 6 years ago, as it was ideal for a simple minisite (a small, sparsely-developed website usually monetized with Adsense ads) or a store. Back then it was still fairly easy to rank these kinds of domains/minisites onto the first page of search engines if you knew a little about developing and optimization.

But there was a huge glut of minisites and stores, with minimal development, such a massive and horrible glut of crappy websites built around exact match niche domains like yours, that google & other engines changed things up. It's now quite difficult to get a minisite ranked anywhere high in the serps with these exact match domains, especially when your niche site with niche keywords is up against the huge store sites selling the same product.

Google has changed their search algorithms a few times since then and made it quite difficult to rank your minisite/store unless you put a LOT of work into it, a lot of seo and marketing. Some of us still squeak by if we know what names to pick and how to develop them properly, but as a generalization most exact-match keyword domains with small websites are difficult to get enough traffic to to make any worthwhile income. And with the economy poop a few years ago, there are fewer targeted advertisers, with lower ceilings to their click amounts, using fewer Adwords keyword combinations, so content-sensitive ads like Adsense don't pay what they used to.

And ad-fatigue has increased, people just don't click on ads like they used to. And visitor-trust is a sketchy thing; a visitor who sees the same ad for a product on Walmart's site and on nimhbattery dot com side by side on google, will click the walmart link. Some exceptions of course, but this is still another safe generalization. Your domain is so niche that IMO you have almost zero chance of getting it to page 1 in the serps, and I foresee it will make you almost no income to speak of.

It's also not that strong of a term, even as a niche. Electronics or science niches are pretty tough to optimize so they rank higher in the serps than the large stores who sell these niche products. Only 1600 exact monthly searches in the US for NiMH battery, and a little over double that for the plural batteries. Not that great. Obviously estibot is giving it the large valuation based on the other factors (links etc from being previously developed) rather than the search numbers. And those other factors can disappear slowly or quickly in the near future as people and 'bots see that the old website pages are no longer there (even though you have new content/store on there)

Better niche domains than this are being dropped every day. They are domains that had their hay day during the minisite/store boom, but have become devalued now as income earners. People have paid thousands for names like these years ago... and now they're letting them drop. I predict no end user will buy this, but if you can sell it to someone who can make better use of the existing links etc they might figure they can make some sort of income.

How long have you had it? Any traffic stats to give us yet? Mostly it will depend on how much traffic still filters in from the previous backlinks, because I don't see you being able to rank it on the search engines high enough to get any traffic there... you're competing against pages from ebay, amazon, walmart, and you're only competing with a store with little content other than product ads... which 'bots don't consider 'strong content'.

But good luck; too early to say if it's a 'bad buy', until we see if you make any income from any existing traffic. Maybe it'll do okay. At least you're thinking about things and not buying blindly. You just didn't know about this type of domain no longer being particularly worthy anymore.

Welcome to Namepros, hang around a while :)

•••
@Bannen Thanks for your complete evaluation of my situation with NiMHbattery dot com

I got this domain 70 days ago and I can see in cPanel AWStats that it got 304 unique visitors in December because I haven't put it up on my server before as I was sure to sell the domain name alone.

Webalizer indicates 118 visits daily.

Thanks again for your time, well appreciated.

PS I love NamePros!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back