Domain Empire

MySpace

NameSilo
Watch
Hello All:

I had a quick trademark question.about MySpace.

We have seen a great number of domains and sites out there with MYSpace in them, has anyone experienced any trademark battles/issues from MySpace?

Thanks for any insight.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Haven’t seen any issues about myspace... domains
But can not see a very strong case for the defence of generic words, unless you are duplicating the service provided

•••
There domains,if they have myspace in it anyone can have it.Myspace bought myspace.com not the word?So you problably wont see any issues with that.

•••
Please don't misguide people looking for advice by passing your assumptions as facts or probable facts. "THINKING" something doesn't make it TRUE or REAL.

Of course myspace is protecting their TM aggressively, and not only domains with "myspace" in their name are getting the C&D letters, but also any kind of website that directly profits from myspace via automated scripts.

More Info:

http://andrewteman.org/blog/2006/07/21/myspace-cease-and-desist/
http://ummyeah.com/tag/c&d
http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2419657
http://www.foxyweb.net/journal/2006/06/myspace-sends-out-cd-letters/

Due dilligence, people ;).

•••
Yes, myspace is very active in defending thier mark.

•••
I can back up DNQ...myspace has C&D'd a LOT of domainers with myspace TM domains. There was a time when they were hot sellers and then BAM...the letters from lawyers came out and you saw people selling and running for the hills. I wouldn't touch a myspace domain with a ten foot pole.

•••
Thanks... I guess we will not be using ours.

:)

•••
•••
Honestly, I don't think myspace cares...

There's a site called "myspace.org" and it's running, I don't think myspace cares if you use other domains with the word "myspace" in them.

Or mabye they asked permission or something.. *shrug*

•••
Romeo20 said:
Honestly, I don't think myspace cares...

There's a site called "myspace.org" and it's running, I don't think myspace cares if you use other domains with the word "myspace" in them.

Or mabye they asked permission or something.. *shrug*

As I posted above, it doesn't matter what one thinks; the fact is that sooner or later you'll be getting a C&D from them if you have a 'myspace' domain. The domain "myspace.org" hosts a personal website. The extension and the use could protect the owner at least for the time being. But most people will register 'myspace' domains for their traffic potential or for resale (profit), and not to use them for a personal, non-profit website.

Please follow the links in my above post, and take the time to do some more research if you think myspace won't care about their TM being used and abused.

•••
myspace.org is registered to someone in Austria..however...look at the site. It's a webmasters internet tools and utilities site. It has no relation to myspace.com as a community social networking site. And that's HOW you have a TM domain and not lose it. They are arguable using the domain in good faith.

myspace.net however won't be protected...it has ads for social sites and communities. It's registered with whois protection and in India. However that won't protect them from a UDRP which I expect myspace will be sending them.

•••

Last edited:
•••
^^^^ you already started a new thread on this, when we get online, we'll help out....

•••
DNQuest.com said:
^^^^ you already started a new thread on this, when we get online, we'll help out....

Thanks! :)

•••
myspace will shuts down sites with the myspace name in them, only sites that recieve alot of traffic though. ive seen it, i forget the the names of the sites though

•••
myspace.net is a parking page?

•••

Last edited:
•••
To be a cubersquatter, there are 3 criteria which must be proven by the TM holder:

1- The TM holder has rights to the domain
2- The domain owner does not have right
3- The domain was register and/or used in bad faith

If the TM holder cannot prove all three, then the TM holder loses.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back