IT.COM

security My domain name is blacklisted by McAfee!

NameSilo
Watch

Houssaine

Established Member
Impact
Hello,

Godaddy sent me an email this morning to tell me that my domain name Veqtory//com is blacklisted by McAfee. I'm wondering how is that possible given the domain is parked and display ads about shoes!!
Anyone have some thoughts about this issue.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's not blacklisted by Mum's Net. (McDonalds uses that for site filtering), so maybe it is an issue with spamming by the previous owner.

•••
Yup, like @Kuffy said...it's probably related to some cr@p the previous owner did.

•••
submit it using google webmaster tools, using the google tools provided(sitemap...)
and contact the McAfee staff, they will rescan your domain and remmove it from their list

•••
Thank you guys. Does this affect negatively my domain and its ability to sell?

•••
I'd clean it first, you don't want to risk chargebacks. It doesn't look too serious, so it should be fairly easy to do.

•••
I received one as well. This must be something new. I imagine they conveniently have a service to help clean it up

•••
•••
I received one as well. This must be something new. I imagine they conveniently have a service to help clean it up

Yes they said to call their security team to resolve the issue. So I'll call them asap to clean it up.
BTW is this domain worth the hassle? Thanks

•••
Whatever the domain name is, it's worth the hassle to find out what is going on. Please could you keep us posted.

•••
The PPC links themselves can get your domain blocked by some ISPs.

•••
Whatever the domain name is, it's worth the hassle to find out what is going on. Please could you keep us posted.

Of course!

•••
McAfee are one of the most responsive blacklist operators, so an appeal there should work, especially given the site is parked and it's only on the one blacklist. Their appeal process links seem to mostly be broken so I'd suggest using the live chat to at least get directed to the right place.

•••
•••

This is new, our security team is running domains through several checks and informing customers if they find an issue. The phone number we provide allows you to contact our security team to assist in getting to the bottom of how to understand McAfee's error messages and what potential steps to take next. There is no cleanup service we are trying to sell here.

•••
•••
This is new, our security team is running domains through several checks and informing customers if they find an issue. The phone number we provide allows you to contact our security team to assist in getting to the bottom of how to understand McAfee's error messages and what potential steps to take next. There is no cleanup service we are trying to sell here.
That came across harsher than I meant it to. But honestly, nobody likes to call in. I would much rather have written words to help that I can go through.

•••
That came across harsher than I meant it to. But honestly, nobody likes to call in. I would much rather have written words to help that I can go through.

There is. In the body of the email there is a direct link to McAfee's website that gives a report specific to your domain. It's a little light on mitigation steps, though, so we offer the phone number to help ppl make sense of it.

•••
Just called Godaddy and their security team said there is no issue with the domain they can see and I should contact McAfee support which I already did last Friday at Trustedsource.org.
Will update once I have their response.

•••
I have this problem with McAfee myself. When I create a website on a domain name that never has a webpage before, McAfee will refuse to allow me to access it thru my browser and warn me that it is a dangerous website. I can get around this by putting a link to my new website on an existing
website that is acceptable to McAfee.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back