Dynadot

.mobi Mobiles with QWERTY Keyboards

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
A lot has been said here about the difficulties posed with typing domains on your mobile phone keyboard.. too long and cumbersome ect. But what about these Qwerty keyboards that these new PC smartphones have? Are they not the answer and the future for the success of .Mobi? Here are some examples.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/pocketpc/phone/default.mspx

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How long do you think until the majority of mobile users will have QWERTY keyboards? It will be years IMO before we're looking at over 50% of mobile users away from standard mobile phones.

•••
Perhaps Qwerty keyboards will come as standard with mobile phones soon. I mean it is the big phone manufacturing corporations backing .mobi so why not?

•••
I already make use of such a mobile
The Nokia 9300i

the 9300 and 9500 are mobiles that are used alot here in holland by
business man (also the Qtec series is used a lot)

also with a qwerty keyboard...

•••
Hot

In the developed world it may be sooner than you think,

I have the treo 700W and people I know are all getting the hottest, latest
new product - qwerty keyboards with Internet access.

People always gravitate into what's hot, and en masse and fast. Look at the Asia crazes.

Also, if you have tried one, I was surprised at how easy it is to type in the keys and letters. The keys kinda stick out perfectly to optimize for your fingers typing, I had thought earlier it might be an uncomfortable experience but when I got mine I got used to it fast.. and kinda like a travel-wherever-you-are keybooard.

Good point earlier how most the cellphone manufacturers are all in with the .mobi. When will voice over ip cheapen or free phone calls? and ,companies like Verizon become primarily ISP's (as they have been shifting now, it's the trend ).

Regards

•••
•••
Everyone needs a decent mobile/pda if they are on the move or in business. Just picking up emails, writing them or sending sms/mms are a joy with these keyboards now.

Even the kids once they know about mobiles are screaming for the latest mobiles now and with the festive season fast approaching I suspect they will be flying off the shelves.

•••
I have one w/a keyboard, it has nothing to do with me... but if you look at the % of people that don't even have Cable TV, you'd be surprised, haha.

•••
I don't think we should worry too much about it. Of course I am not saying that 26 letter domains are good...but I don't agree with the ones saying over 8 letters is a no-no. I know people who use their phones for text messaging and they take the time to type in what they want all the time, some are so fast at it you'd be amazed. I can also imagine back when the dot-com first came out how people were saying anything two or three worded wasn't good "Who'd want to take the time to type all that?" Well when you want something, you'll take the time...and look at the domain sales now. I have no idea if .mobi has a bright future but I don't think anyone can forsee how/when the mobile internet will develope. If it does have a bright future and if you have very good keywords it's no matter the length. :imho:

•••
Kerrijo said:
I don't think we should worry too much about it. Of course I am not saying that 26 letter domains are good...but I don't agree with the ones saying over 8 letters is a no-no. I know people who use their phones for text messaging and they take the time to type in what they want all the time, some are so fast at it you'd be amazed. I can also imagine back when the dot-com first came out how people were saying anything two or three worded wasn't good "Who'd want to take the time to type all that?" Well when you want something, you'll take the time...and look at the domain sales now. I have no idea if .mobi has a bright future but I don't think anyone can forsee how/when the mobile internet will develope. If it does have a bright future and if you have very good keywords it's no matter the length. :imho:

^ bingo!

•••
Triple tap entry is the stone age of the mobile internet. Voice activated character entry HAS to become the standard at some point.

Also, has anyone ever tried this keypad from http://digitwireless.com/ . I have used it and it is VERY easy. ALL cell phones should have this SINGLE tap solution.

•••
rsequin said:
Triple tap entry is the stone age of the mobile internet. Voice activated character entry HAS to become the standard at some point.

I don't agree that voice-activated will become defacto...
People will still want privacy, and can't have it if they are blurting out "genital-warts.mobi" while they are surrounded by people at the coffee shop.
Voice-recognition will be used, but it won't be the standard.

•••
Looks good. The future is big and big is mobile

•••
how about styluses - most pdas and some phones have them and make entering a web address or entering text into a search box, etc. very easy

•••
namewaiter said:
how about styluses - most pdas and some phones have them and make entering a web address or entering text into a search box, etc. very easy

We have a couple of laptops at work that use those pens and I was thinking just the same thing the other day. :)

•••
Kerrijo said:
We have a couple of laptops at work that use those pens and I was thinking just the same thing the other day. :)

Yeah, that tech is already available for mobiles in Japan. They are like regular non-pda flip phones with a touch screen (kind of like the palm system)

•••
Voice-activated, speech2text, text2speech, qwerty - already past the early adopter stage -- in Europe, the teens/young adults text about as fast as they can talk - tap tap tap -- in Asia, the tappers are omnipresent -- and they tap as fast as US teens can dial

but, tap tap tap --- "medieval" --and it's in the final stage -

the Mobile Internet AGE (MIA) is upon us - those of you invested in good mobis will have some nice "mobile real estate" property -- just hope most of it gets developed...

there are still some real mobi jewels out there - super premiums - good searching and developing ---

my prediction - "mobi" will reach critical mass around early 2008 --- I'm certainly not an expert -- but based on what I'm seeing out of Europe and Asia regarding mbile phone usage, mobile Interent access, and with the latest forecasts/market projections for mobile ad revenues, content, mobile subscription applications, etc -- we could be entering a "mobi" world ---

maybe not?

I say, Mobi" -- maybe?

Disclaimer - I have nothing to do with the "Mobi" Consortium, or any of the registries or bulk buyers --

IM(Mobi)O

•••
and then.... there are the advanced QWERTY keyboards.... my Blackberry has a pretty standard phone keyboard...with predictive test.. I have just knocked out a two page email in about 5 minutes (some of that was thinking time too! :) )

how about an algorithm to recognize bar codes on photos taken by your camera???

This phone was designed with a bar code reader in 2003!
The J-SH010 features the mobile phone industry's largest 2.4-inch size "System LCD" for unsurpassed high quality resolution and imaging. Those who enjoy taking pictures will appreciate the J-SH010's highly sensitive built-in CCD camera for VGA and QVGA photography and a wide range of features have also been included to take advantage of the handset's QVGA display capability. Other convenient functions include a bar code reader and composer as well as a mobile light even brighter than those found in previous models.

another interesting thread - ORIGAMI PROJECT

Über out... :)

•••
nametrekker said:
my prediction - "mobi" will reach critical mass around early 2008 --- I'm certainly not an expert -- but based on what I'm seeing out of Europe and Asia regarding mbile phone usage, mobile Interent access, and with the latest forecasts/market projections for mobile ad revenues, content, mobile subscription applications, etc -- we could be entering a "mobi" world

nice prediction :) i hope you're right

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back