IT.COM

.mobi .Mobi not country specific

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
.Mobi not country specific/a Problem? UPDATE

A thought just crossed my mind. .Mobi is if course not country specific so if you are for instance in Germany and need a taxi you type in TAXI.MOBI and if you are in the USA and you need a taxi you type in TAXI.MOBI. Now what info will you get? Or you need medical help. Or you want to buy a car. So you type in CARDEAL or Cardealer.mobi. Get what I mean? With your mobile and .Mobi you cannot access sites for a particular country like you can on your PC and country specific tld's. So I cannot see what the attraction or usefulness of .mobi will be. Except of course for universal things like music downloads and videos and games. And general things that are not country specific..a bit like .com. At least on .com you have a big PC screen to narrow down your search very easily to a specific country or area but on that little mobile screen you wont have too much of an option there I think. So searching for country specific things will be a problem I think unless maybe they will eventually have .MOBI sub domains like .MOBI.UK or .MOBI.US

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am pretty sure that there may be some type of redirection script that can redirect a visitor to a specific page based on their IP location.

Whether or not this breaks the rules of the coding for .mobi, I dont know.

Alex

•••
When .mobi was first proposed, one of the key selling points was the ability for the mobile device to send its location with the web request. That way you would have been able to retrieve the location info and provide location-specific information. While this sounds fantastic, the reality is that location-aware browsing never seemed to get beyond the "it would be nice if..." stage.

•••
binaryman said:
A thought just crossed my mind. .Mobi is if course not country specific
I think that's what makes .MOBI's such an attractive investment. Unlike Taxi.eu, if you have Taxi.mobi, you just covered all of North-America, South-America, Australia, NZ, and most of Europe. Someone is going to pay big bucks for that sort of global reach.

•••
domaindigger said:
I think that's what makes .MOBI's such an attractive investment. Unlike Taxi.eu, if you have Taxi.mobi, you just covered all of North-America, South-America, Australia, NZ, and most of Europe. Someone is going to pay big bucks for that sort of global reach.

Yup!

•••
You can always do:

us.taxi.mobi, uk.taxi.mobi, etc.

Or

mobi.taxi.us, mobi.taxi.co.uk, etc.

Personally most websites now use www for world wide web. I think mw.domain.com would be fine for Mobile Web. I like "mobile web better than mobi because it's only two letters and uses the domains you already have.

•••
Nice thought. I am sure that so called gloabal reach has to be supported by GLOBAL service. And the question how does one proposes to offer that global service without figuring out where the service is sought. And this all has to be done in .MOBI environment.

If we talk about .coms and if you have taxi.com, then if you can figure out that the incoming request is from a mobile phone, redirect automatically to m.taxi.com and have that global reach. Whats wrong with that.

Also taxi.com ------> Can be accessed on mobile (or any mobile device) by going (or redirected) to m.taxi.com , can the opposite be done?

GH

domaindigger said:

•••
I found the official answer to my question on this link.
http://pc.mtld.mobi/documents/dotmobi-Switch-On!-Web-Browsing-Guide.html

4.2.1 URIs for Country Specific Sites

[dotmobi] Identify national variations of dotmobi sites by using the corresponding country code top level domain identifier (ccTLD) as the third level domain identifier.
What it means

Companies often wish to offer web sites that are tailored to a specific country. For example, the company Example Inc. may wish to offer different experiences in Japan, the US and in Germany. Example Inc. should distinguish these sites by using jp.example.mobi, us.example.mobi and de.example.mobi to identify them.

The authoritative list of ccTLDs can be found at [CCTLD]. Note that this list, while similar to the ISO 3166-1-alpha-2 code list is not exactly the same as that list.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back