IT.COM

security Marriott hacked...up to half a BILLION customers compromised

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
Me? I stay at the finest Motel 6 available wherever I travel, but some big time domainers should be concerned (I hear they always stay at the best places!).

Hacking is on the rise my friends...quantum computers are going to make it as easy as mastering an old school space invaders game...prepare now.

Make sure you (and your registrar) have adequate protections in place.

https://www.wired.com/story/marriott-hack-protect-yourself/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Did they mention any particular region?

•••
Not sure...seems it had a lot to do with starwood.

From the article: "impacts as many as 500 million customers who made a reservation at a Starwood hotel. Marriott acquired the Starwood hospitality group in September 2016, which operates numerous hotel brands including Sheraton, Westin, Aloft, and W Hotels. But the intrusion that caused the enormous data breach predates Marriott's acquisition, beginning in 2014."

•••
Marriot workers were also on strike so this is another reason not to cross the picket line and support them.

•••
STarwood is bigger enterprise than just marriot brand and I believe 500 million is global number!

•••
Me? I stay at the finest Motel 6 available wherever I travel, but some big time domainers should be concerned (I hear they always stay at the best places!).
Hopefully you're not compromised by bedbugs.

•••
Hopefully you're not compromised by bedbugs.

Back in the day I would carry two cans of lysol to spray every surface possible when I checked in to a motel room...more than once I had to vacate the room to keep from passing out while the fumes settled.

•••
I would be more worried about, credit cards, social accounts and IoV related coins. They’re much easier to sell than a domain name.

•••
Yes, 500M is global, these guys are always down your throat to sign up for their damn cards, plus this new program merged with some previous ones for one large one. I haven't received word, but the american authorities weren't even notified as of a few days ago. The news first came out of Europe.

Starwood is integrated with everything including Ritz Cartlon, and Westin.

•••
enormous data breach predates Marriott's acquisition, beginning in 2014

I am having trouble getting my head wrapped around the fact it happened 3 or more years ago...so much for caring for the customer. It will be interesting to see when 'M' parent corporation TRULY learned of the breach.

•••
As long as there is incentive for hacks, it will continue. We (society) need to take the incentive away to fix the problem. Until then these stories will continue to repeat.

•••
As long as there is incentive for hacks, it will continue. We (society) need to take the incentive away to fix the problem. Until then these stories will continue to repeat.

Decentralization

•••
Protect Your hacking
Social networking is a global chaos, enabling as regards a billion people worldwide to stay in be adjoining when their links, allocation experiences and photographs and argument personal content. In…

•••
A four year ongoing hack is unbelievable..it is hard to believe the breach was missed for so long.

"Marriott confirmed the specific type of data that was lifted off from their servers - names, address, phone numbers, emails, account information, passport information, date of birth, gender and encrypted credit card details. Marriott also hinted that there could be a chance that the hackers also captured keys to the credit card details, which means attackers carry out transactions without notifying the victims."

https://www.indiatoday.in/technolog...tolen-all-you-need-to-know-1400263-2018-12-01

•••
A global hotel chain. Just think of the number of entry points.
And very probably keeping too much sensitive data for unreasonably long periods, personal data that has outlived its usefulness.
Hotels increasingly use electronic locks are unsafe as well.
You just can't trust anyone with your data. Even when you pay them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back