Dynadot

LTD what does it stand for?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I know it means limited but what does it mean to domainers?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
•••
http://www.nominet.org.uk/SecondLevelDomains/AboutSecondLevelDomains/

Here you go guys. A Limited (Ltd) company in the UK is a company which is registered with Companies House. I don't know if this is a good analogy but I think it is similar to your Incorporated (Inc.) companies.

Anyway, nominet who controls the .uk extension has a number of other second level domains other than the .co.uk and they can all be found here.

One of them is the .ltd.uk second level domain and it has extremely strict eligibility criteria and they can be taken off you if you fail to pass (and as it states in the rules - Continue to pass) these criteria.

To cut a long story short, I don't think it has any value to domaining as there are too many eligibility criteria.

•••
All that about answers the question .I think.

•••
•••
•••
•••
What is .net.uk? Tried tracking it down a while back and ended up at what seemed to be a uk based forum/info portal.

PS I thought LTD was an acronym for "Love Them Domains":laugh:

Last edited:
•••
•••
Grrilla, check out the link to nominet in the above thread.

.net.uk is described as being for use by Uk based internet service providers

but i've never seen one so I don't think it caught on :lol:

•••
Originally posted by Grrilla

PS I thought LTD was an acronym for "Love Them Domains":laugh:

heh love them domains

good one :hehe:

•••
Just for the interest of Domainers:
There are two types of 'Limited' companies. 'Limited by Shares' and 'Limited by Guarantee'. Most of us know about companies 'Limited by Shares', which again are divided into two types. 'Private Limited' and 'Public Limited'. Public limited companies, also called 'PLCs', are further divided into two classes 'Listed' and 'Un-listed'. (Listed means whose shares are traded at 'Stock Exchanges').
TLD has got nothing to do with LTD. Limited companies have been there since the year 1800+somthing, whereas TLD is still an 'Infant'.

•••
Thanks for all your help :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back