IT.COM

Is SEDO helping scammers with fake domains like wíne.com or físh.com ?

NameSilo
Watch
I call domains like wíne.com and físh.com as fake since these are not true idn's. Köln.com is an idn since in German there is this word Köln and it is written with ö.

físh.com is like a counterfeit product. It is a copy of the original. Maybe you didn't understand what this topic is about. Look closer to físh.com and you will see that is not fish.com it has an í instead an i.

The main aim obviously is to trick unaware buyers making them believe they are buying the real thing while they aren't. There are many people out there who don't know much about domains let alone idn's.

Do you really think the poor guy, who has to pay 2250 usd for físh.com after yesterdays sedo auction, knew what he was buying? I don't think so. This is almost like ebay scams but with the exception that sedo makes it difficult not to pay when you get scammed. I think sedo should stop helping scammers.

Even I was almost bidding yesterday on físh.com. I knew 2250 usd was incredibly cheap but I expected the prices to go higher during the last few minutes. Then when the last 10 minutes came and the price was still the same I though, ok, just put $3000 and see what happens. From my ebay experience I know that bidding last moments can be fun. And there were so many bids which made the deal look like real. Only by chance I have realized it at the last moment that it wasn't the real thing. I could have been carried away by the last minute bidding race and excitement or whatever.

Then I wrote an email to my sedo representative and the respond I received is very disapointing. He says they made it clear in the description. On the other hand I don't care about the description. They must make it clearer on the main auction list as well.

Here is a picture on what I mean:

2002380328976350863_rs.jpg

Edit:
Fake fìx.com went through for 46,001 USD. With ì instead i this domain is not even worth one dollar.
http://www.sedo.com/auction/auction...=us&auction_id=5400&tracked=1&partnerid=27222

Please let them know what you think on this issue. Their email address is [email protected]

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
circa1850 said:
In my opinion, Sedo has and is sacrificing their reputation with the core group...us.

Exactly. I just posted an article about this on my site - IDNcyclopedia.com.

I would urge anyone with a blog or any other industry-related site to write a similar article or posting, or feel free to link to my site. The more noise we can make about this, the more urgently Sedo will have to address it...

•••
RogueWriter said:
Try policing affiliate marketing!!!
Ooops...forgot about them. Someone want to remind me why we do what we do? :hehe:

domainstosell said:
Exactly. I just posted an article about this on my site - IDNcyclopedia.com.

I would urge anyone with a blog or any other industry-related site to write a similar article or posting, or feel free to link to my site. The more noise we can make about this, the more urgently Sedo will have to address it...
Nice site! Are there tools on your site to aide in the creation of IDN names or learn their proper use?

•••
circa1850 said:
Nice site! Are there tools on your site to aide in the creation of IDN names or learn their proper use?

Thanks! The site is mostly a news/articles/opinions site for IDNs, with links to resources that people can use (as well as lists of available IDNs for sale). IDNTools.net, for example, has outstanding tools like the ones you mentioned.

My hope is that, in time, I can focus a lot of time on my site - to the point where I can write daily or weekly articles, case studies and more on IDNs, domains and the globalization of the web.

Unfortunately, I have so much going on right now that I can't dedicate the amount of time I'd like to, but I get an article or two up a month usually... Well, all in due time...

•••
Nevermind

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back