IT.COM

Is it reasonable to buy hosting and get domain for free?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I have found out that mmhosting.com offers nice and cheap web hosting plans and offers free domain registration if you buy any hosting plan.
Is it reasonable to buy hosting and get free domain name?
I wonder what domain extensions do they offer for free?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is reasonable and offers at a lot of hosts. Often if you ask a host they will be willing to negotiate a free domain, at least on their bi-yearly or yearly plans.

•••
I wonder what domain extensions do they offer for free?

It is better to ask them directly as a pre-sales query. Also query them whether the ownership of the domain will be under you or company.

•••
Agreed, please ask them as this is not their support forum. :)

Just another run-of-the-mill web hosting offer.

•••
most hosts (that i've come across) offer this. i use bluehost.com and they give you a free domain. i'm pretty sure godaddy does too

•••
Make sure you find out if you are able to transfer the domain elsewhere, or put it on different nameservers, should you choose to do so. Many hosts with these offers force you to keep the domain with them.

•••
I agree that is comonplace and as rule such things are being offered because of marketing goals. Of course for you as for the customer that is very important and attractive

•••
Bluehost, Dreamhost, Cirtexhosting and some other big hosting offer free domains for first order. I think it's ok

•••
I think that better have say namecheap for the domain name registration and hostjava.net which is cheap for the web hosting services. You will be free and will be able to move.
If you have domain name from your web hosting provider you will stay tired to it.

•••
If you are not sure completely that you will stay with this host forever it is better to keep domains and hosting separately.

•••
Watchout

I wouldn't go with BlueHost or Host Monster since they are pretty much lying to consumers about space and badnwdith.

Its ok if you really dont know what your doing. However If I were you I would request that you transfer it to your OWN account (such as a retail account w/ enom) The problem is that they control your domain they may not change name servers and may hold it hostage. Although I wouldn't do it personaly I have known hosts to do it.

•••
True, hostmonster may technically be "lying" since there physically is no such thing as unlimited - however, they are one of the few reputable companies that may actually be pulling this off - they don't oversell at all and are an excellent hosting choice overall.

i've been using them for over half a year now and i'm more than satisfied not only with their hosting services (uptime, speeds, freedom, etc) but especially with their customer support - they have constant live support and i have never had a problem that took more than 20 minutes to be resolved.

•••
Free domain name that is no more but bonus it the most cases to atract you as the potential customer
But at the same time that is not bad so far - just make sure you have administrative rights for the domain name

•••
Yes. That is bonus. As rule that comes with reseller accounts. I think that is very vital to have domainn name and reseller account. For ex
http://www.espinda.com/reseller-hosting.html
Yo pay only $20 but have and good reseller account with you as well as domain name.
I think that it sis very vise

•••
Hi,

It is possible that some of the web hosting company offers you with a free domain name when you purchase their web hosting plan. Mostly on a half year, annual or bi-annual hosting plan.

Whatever the hosting plan is, one thing you must make sure before you register with the web hosting company is that, they do not lock your domain name, meaning that you still own and able to transfer the domain to other hosting company in case you wanted to change / transfer your hosting account to other new hosting company.

My suggestion will be observe and look for reputable hosting company to host a domain name with them, or else if something happened to the hosting company, you will lost your domain name as well.

Good Luck!

•••
Don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

•••
I think that it will be more secure to register domain names with reliable registrar like godaddy.com which has accreditations and buy hosting at honest and stable web hosting provider like serverpoint.com. They are optimized for application hosting and provide more security, reliability and speed than traditional web hosts. Moreover, they offer affordable web hosting plans in order to meet every client's needs.

•••
There is some sence in such deals, especially when you are not going to spend much money on domain running a small (personal) site. I know such am option is honestly offered by webhostingbuzz.com.

•••
It's best if you buy the domain yourself and update your nameservers that way if anything happens to the webhost you can simply change your nameservers - You remain in full control.

•••
MH-Andy said:
It's best if you buy the domain yourself and update your nameservers that way if anything happens to the webhost you can simply change your nameservers - You remain in full control.
True. It is always better to register your domain with a reputed domain registrar. If you buy from a hosting provider there is possibility of them to play some tricks when you need to transfer the domain away from them. But reliable providers never do like that.

•••
Do not put your eggs in same basket. In this way you are giving extra authority and power to hosting or domain registrar. Instead of this you should buy domain from one place and hosting from others for safety purpose.

•••
Everything depends on the certain company which is chosen. Namely MMhosting.com is good for getting a domain name free as they are being honest and reputable company. The more so because are pretty cheap.

•••
It's not about reasonable or not.
It's about people's review over the internet, remember it everytime you decide to choose a hosting

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back