IT.COM

question Is .fm dead?

NameSilo
Watch

Martins B.

WebSuffix.comTop Member
Impact
Recently was browsing some odd domain extensions, and I remember .fm being quite popular, but recently it seems popularity and sales have dropped significantly.

Is .fm done for?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No idea on the sales side, but i know one guy i follow in the startup space is working on Transistor.fm (which is a name that makes a lot of sense for the .fm extension)

•••
Recently was browsing some odd domain extensions, and I remember .fm being quite popular, but recently it seems popularity and sales have dropped significantly.

Is .fm done for?

53 reported sales in it's entire existence, a name like Robot sold for only $188.

•••
.fm was dead as soon as it was launched !

•••
Is .fm done for?

Well, Get.FM is marketing dotFM as the most followed TLD on Facebook for what that's worth. 👎

No idea on the sales side, but i know one guy i follow in the startup space is working on Transistor.fm (which is a name that makes a lot of sense for the .fm extension)

Sometimes I check out dotFM drops. Last year I noticed WTF.fm dropped and thought the term fit well for a podcast. I didn't pull the trigger. But somebody else did, and put it to use. So FWIW, there appears to be positive signs of use. As miniscule as it may be.

53 reported sales in it's entire existence, a name like Robot sold for only $188.

Or in .FM terms, $188 = the price of reg fee + 1 year renewal.

I recently had a hellova time trying to transfer a .FM from GoDaddy to Get.FM. Get.FM uses some type of external ticketing system not connected with your get.FM account, thus new credentials are required. Took me a while to realize this as I kept requesting a password reset, since it wasn't accepting my get.fm username/pass, and repeating this process over and over as the email never came. Only to realize I needed a new account for their support.

Regardless, the support just ended up being a string of emails of them telling me to contact GoDaddy, GoDaddy telling me to contact get.FM, until finally I requested a refund for the some $90 transfer. Only to hear from get.FM that they don't issue refunds for transfers, and I will be able to use the transfer for up to a year, despite the neglected fact the domain would be expired and dropped by then, thus ineligible for transfer, should I not renew at GoDaddy or transfer elsewhere. The whole thing would have grilled me if i didn't pay with PayPal. Disputed the charge with PayPal, and PayPal found in my favor for goods not received. 👍

My opinion on .FM is it might be cool for a podcast or something of the nature but at $90/year, one should be warned it's either an expensive hobby, or a high risk low reward domain investment.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back