IT.COM

Is cryptocurrency the best term for digital currencies?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I read somewhere a branding expert say that cryptocurrency is actually not a good name for digital currencies because of its length and negative connotation ("crypt").

But rather than the shorter crypto, he suggests that altcoin should become the most used term in the future because it is easier to spell and sounds better. But as I understand it (sorry, I'm a newbie...), altcoin does not include Bitcoin so is not really all-emcompassing.

I like digital currency and dc for short, but it seems some experts claim that it is wrong to call them currencies at all...

So what do you think will be the most used term in the future not relating to a specific coin? Which terms should we be regging/buying?:

- crypto
- cryptocurrency
- cc for cryptocurrency
- digital currency
- digital cash
- dc for digital currency or digital cash
- digital money
- dm for digital money
- virtual currency
- vc for virtual currency
- coin
- altcoin
- something else?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I may call it electronic money, but still it's too lengthy and not brandable.

•••
'Cryptocurrency' does seem to be establishing a foothold, however things can change quickly in the world of the internet. I don't agree that 'altcoin' sounds better.

•••
•••
Until some higher entity as ISO or by agreement of all cc issuers is decided how to call it we can just speculate. Imo "cryptocurrency" is best name because unmistakably describes what it is.

For other names in some cases many people will think that is something else:

- cc - Carbon Copy :xf.smile: or Coco Chanel :xf.cool:
- digital currency
- digital cash
- dc - District of Columbia :xf.rolleyes:
- digital money
- dm - Drogerie Markt :facepalm:
- virtual - you have it but you dont have it :smuggrin:
- vc - Viet Cong :ROFL:
- coin
- altcoin - Alt key on keyboard :bag:

•••
Last edited:
•••
"

block chain.jpg
:xf.wink:

Money maybe but cash not so much because my perception of cash is something phisical in my hands.

CASH
"money in coins or notes, as distinct from cheques, money orders, or credit"

Last edited:
•••
Was wondering about this just today.

"Crypto" does have a sinister connotation to it. And I do end up typing "Crytpo" regularly.

Altcurrency is better. (Full disclosure, I own the .com :xf.grin:)

•••
Was wondering about this just today.

"Crypto" does have a sinister connotation to it. And I do end up typing "Crytpo" regularly.

Altcurrency is better. (Full disclosure, I own the .com :xf.grin:)

That is a pretty good term, I think. Great catch!

•••
That is a pretty good term, I think. Great catch!

A google search for altcurrency says 'Including results for cryptocurrency', so they are being perceived as the same at least by search algorithms.

Can you link to the original article you were referring to?

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
In most news they call it cryptocurrency to describe the entire crypto market. However they will most likely use brandable company name for when it comes their naming their brand.

https://coinmarketcap.com - cryptocurrency market link

Crypto Branding.GIF

Last edited:
•••
•••
I actually started buying alt domains before of crypto domains for no particular reason but i believe even if "crypt" is seen as a negative connotation. That's pure speculation. As for cryptocurrency being too long of a word I agree but disagree at the same time.

For ideas just speculation I think some cool names could be

Emoney
Epaper(however this is already a term for the technology behind epaper} cool concept in actuality
Altnotes or Enotes
webcash webmoney netcash netmoney webcoin netcoin diginote digimoney digicoin( im making these up but now some of them are starting to sound cool. May buy the domains lol if available

Also i dont believe cryptocurrencies are actually currencies either I have been trading them for years and if I were to define them it would be more on the lines of a company selling shares but due to the tech being so new and the only semi proper funding for these currencies is an unregulated ico(initial coin offering) These companies create coins to use on there platforms of course there are proper digital currencies but i would say 95 percent of them arent.

So if I were to properly try and name them as a group
the best way to describe them would be a digital asset or investment or a stock(although at the moment they wouldn't be any of these)

since "cryptocurrency" is just a made up word might as well make up a bunch of words like
xcash
epay
ecurrency
assetmoney
hypercash
flashcash
netdigits
webdigit
etc

•••
Regarding negative connotation of "Crypto", any term which is repeated again and gain becomes positive after sometime. Like Vulgar films of past are now called as bold films.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back