IT.COM

opinion Is buying domain names a kind of addiction?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello guys
Do you think that buying domain names is a kind of addiction like gambling?
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I say YES! because when I was away from registering domains for 6 - 7 years. I was still looking for names at godaddy few times even though I did not register them.

Last edited:
•••
It becomes one after you start selling...

•••
Hello guys
Do you think that buying domain names is a kind of addiction like gambling?
Thanks

I don't think it is an addiction, but it can be addicting.

When you get hit with those sobering renewal fees this seems to set you straight.

Those cheap promo reg fees you see on occasion don't help any though.

•••
I don't think that buying is, but finding and registering available names can be. :)

•••
YES : runs off to buy more names :

The names that are freely available to hand reg are not really an issue, they go on my Standby list and I typically wait for a sale and even then I pare down and have time to think, or by that time, I don't like the name as much.

However recently dropped names have an urgency, a fear of missing out - either real or imagined - that can complicate and cloud judgement.

NP addiction is it's own monster : grin :

•••
No !!! *Goes to reg a domain*
Not ... *Goes to reg a domain* ... at ... *Goes to reg a domain* ... all ... *Goes to reg a domain* !!!

:-/ ... *Goes to reg a domain*

•••
Most domainers sit around playing the nickle slots waiting for a jackpot to come along. They don't track expenditures and it becomes a problem.... just like gambling addiction.

Play Poker :) Spend time... learn the game and give yourself a fighting chance at the poker table

•••
For sure, I got to always keep myself in check

•••
Once a person tastes profits as high as 5000% without huge investments and within a short span of time, there is no returning back.

•••
If you are in the red, it is an addiction just like gambling. If you are in the black, it's a business.

•••
Last edited:
•••
If you are in the red, it is an addiction just like gambling. If you are in the black, it's a business.
There must be a global "gambling" epidemic that we are all blind to since most businesses fail in the red.
If your making progress keep going. If you repeat the same mistakes your addicted.
There are lots of businesses that take a long time to make a profit or seemingly very little profit to justify their existence.
From the article,
"cannot control how much they consume" is a good indicator of "addicted" discipline ! Game plan ! exit plan !
Bostondomainer,
"Spend time... learn the game and give yourself a fighting chance"
The best advice for any business !
Happy Hunting

•••
I'd say so. I'm actually glad when a domain I like with my heart (butt my brain says no resale value) is already taken. Don't want to end up like a cat lady with loads of cats/domains. :)

•••
I feel the same way, I can't stop buying and bidding. Hopefully its a good addiction to have.

•••
Well, the symptoms are there. Can't sleep until you register a random domain that pops out of your mind at 2am. Keep on convincing yourself that you found a goldmine and later realized that it's worthless :P You just have to control and overcome the urge, just like any other addiction.

•••
why the hell do people always go there? geesh, why cant you be an enthusiast, or a hobbyist? oh well, mindsets are mindsets.

•••
•••
why the hell do people always go there? geesh, why cant you be an enthusiast, or a hobbyist? oh well, mindsets are mindsets.
LOL agree !
I have some "originals" that I call my virgins. I have no intent or desire to sell because they are special to me ;)
I collect and invest for profit.
I can't think of any major investor that hasn't had major hangovers after an out of control buying spree yet they still succeed.
Happy Hunting!

•••
yes its pretty much addictive and yes it looks very much like gambbling

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back