Domain Empire

IPs?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Does anyone know if computers on a LAN can all have the same IP (like at a school) or does the last digit of the IP have to be unique to EVERY machine?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Im pretty sure they will have the same subnet numbers (the first three) and then the last numbers will change for each one. You have plenty of combinations, and I have never heard of anyone running out on a subnet. Hope this is what you wanted ;)

•••
Well theres a guy I know and he claims his whole network is on one IP. Is that possible?

•••
Ever machine on a network must have a unique IP address or else there will be conflics. I dont know what your mate is talking about using one IP for every machine on a network.

•••
Alright thanks. I didn't think that was possible. :D

•••
he might mean one ip for the internet connection

•••
Actually, if you feed your network through a router, all PCs appear to have the same IP online. Although each PC obviously can't have it's own, the router masks it.

I am on a four-PC network, according to the router my IP is 82.47.89.46, however.. my personal IP is something totally different. So, yeah.. he is right- if he is running his network through a router, all PCs will appear to have the same IP.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back