MX
NS
SOA
PTR
CNAME
AAAA
CAPPL
ICANN

Just wondering what they mean... so i know for future reference...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
thanks raf... I think i know you from kiropets

•••
Here are the important ones ;)

MX //Mail Server
NS //Name Server
SOA //Start Of Authority
CNAME //Domain aliasing (Legacy)

Cheers!

•••
Originally posted by NameCaster
Here are the important ones ;)

MX //Mail Server
NS //Name Server
SOA //Start Of Authority
CNAME //Domain aliasing (Legacy)

Cheers!

Thanks! :)

•••
I've a few DNS questions myself:

1. Once a domain changes servers, do the changes reach the 13 root servers simultaneously or do they "hop" thru each root server one after another after a couple of hours each?

2. If a domain's DNS is changed at 11:36PM, does it necessarily reach the 12AM zone update or is delegated for 12PM instead?

•••
Originally posted by davezan

1. Once a domain changes servers, do the changes reach the 13 root servers simultaneously or do they "hop" thru each root server one after another after a couple of hours each?

2. If a domain's DNS is changed at 11:36PM, does it necessarily reach the 12AM zone update or is delegated for 12PM instead?

Good questions i wish i new and im hoping to find out...

•••
Originally posted by davezan

Good question.. Ill take a guess..

The zone files, which update the Internet, are not transferred instantaneously. They take at least 24 hours to upload to the Main Root Servers which most registrars do daily which in turn, spread information throughout the Internet. This can create delays of up to 48 hours before changes are visible in our WHOIS database.

so im guessing the registrar only uploads to one rootserver then the other root servers grab a copy of the zone files which would explain the additional 24hr+ plus delay for the 13 servers to update..

Thats all i got! I dont think all 13 are not simultaneously updated..

Would like to hear other idea's on this...

-=BP=-

•••
Thanks namecaster i really needed to know what MX meant

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back