Domain Empire

.mobi How to develop for wide range of mobile devices?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
OK, so I'm a newbie to content development, but I've got a bunch of .mobi domains with lots of ideas for useful applications, however, I'm faced with a conundrum...

there are so many different phones out there with different screen sizes, typing capabilities, as well as storage, java, flash capabilities, etc. How best to approach development in this context?

Do phones reliably identify themselves like pc browsers do? How about their screen size, keyboard, and other capabilities? Is it up to me to know what specific phones are capable of and respond accordingly, once they''ve identified themselves?

Are there lowest common denominators to develop for? And if so what are they? And what if I want to maximize my content for smart phones with qwerty keyboards and larger screens, how would this be best handled?

And suppose I would like to have a version of the site or part of the site to be for pc users... I was thinking I could either serve up a regular pc desktop version based on the client browser requesting the page, or perhaps link to a subdomain such as pc.mydomain.mobi - would either scenario pose problems under the terms of .mobi registration? Obviously the restrictions are designed to accommodate basic cellphone users, but if I can accurately serve up different pages to different phone browsers I don't see a problem or?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back