IT.COM

legal Google Smashes Googlee Out of the Ground

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Soofi

Love Domain NamesTop Member
Impact
The INDRP decision of Friday, May 6, 2011 was upheld by the Delhi High Court recently where NIXI arbitrator had directed the registrant to transfer Googlee.in domain name over to Google. Inc. on the grounds of an identical and confusingly similar to Google.com domain name and its registered trademark.

The petition was filed by Gulshan Khatri against the INDRP decision of NIXI arbitrator in the Delhi High Court.

read full story here..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
HeHe, man when will they ever learn. Let me register googlee and argue its all mine.

What a nincompoop

How can you even dedicate any resources, time, or effort to a lost cause like this (n)

He could have been home with his kids or out on a date instead of wasting precious time.

•••
HeHe, man when will they ever learn. Let me register googlee and argue its all mine.

What a nincompoop

How can you even dedicate any resources, time, or effort to a lost cause like this (n)

He could have been home with his kids or out on a date instead of wasting precious time.

LOL

I so agree with you on such losers trying to cash-in on by registering obvious marks and then cry foul by filing petitions in the competent courts.

They in turn give poor name to us legitimate domain name investors and our businesses!

•••
It took 6 years to transfer the domain !! :xf.eek:

•••
One question arises, why should NIXI (in this case and other registries in other cases) should also not be held liable for allowing such registrations?

•••
One question arises, why should NIXI (in this case and other registries in other cases) should also not be held liable for allowing such registrations?

Policing trademarks (especially national TMs as opposed to multinational TMs) is not only onerous but extremely difficult to maintain track of.

•••
Policing trademarks (especially national TMs as opposed to multinational TMs) is not only onerous but extremely difficult to maintain track of.

Also, in this case, technically, Googlee is also a term in Cricket which is an extremely popular sport in India. The TM infringement, imo, was due to the registrant creating a bad copy of the Google home page and attempting to represent themselves as Google. It is possible, had the registrant created, say, a Cricket enthusiast website, they might not have lost the domain.

IANAL but that's my understanding of the situation.

•••
upload_2017-4-8_1-31-37.png

•••
Also, in this case, technically, Googlee is also a term in Cricket which is an extremely popular sport in India. The TM infringement, imo, was due to the registrant creating a bad copy of the Google home page and attempting to represent themselves as Google. It is possible, had the registrant created, say, a Cricket enthusiast website, they might not have lost the domain.

IANAL but that's my understanding of the situation.

Googlee is incorrect. It is Googly. So, this was a clear case of bad faith registration
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googly

•••
Googlee is incorrect. It is Googly. So, this was a clear case of bad faith registration
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googly
I thought Hindi didnt use Latin alphabet, so every latin conversion would be a phonetic one. And in that case both translations could be correct. Or is there one official latin alphabet phonetic translation that is officially registerd by the Indian government?

The same problem arises with for example Thai language. I have seen the word Sawadee written as sawadee, swadee, saewdee, etc etc....

•••
Googlee get out on Googlee by Google !

•••
•••
•••
•••
Lol... Takes a special kind of crazy/insanity/big brass b@lls to be willing to go to court with Google. I mean that's like willingly getting into a street fight with Bruce Lee. Better make sure you have been training like a mother fcker and can actually hold your ground OR better make sure you can run faster than him OR better make sure that you have a friend recording the whole thing so you can at the very least make some money off Youtube from people watching you get a royal @ss kicking from Bruce Lee. :)

Last edited:
•••

Plus there are instances where you can use a TM in a domain, i.e. gripe sites and such. At least that's what I've understood.

•••
Plus there are instances where you can use a TM in a domain, i.e. gripe sites and such. At least that's what I've understood.

for wellknown brands
the story is a little different

•••
The guy got booted and Trademark holder prevailed is all that matters !

•••
was it googly or googlee?

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back