NameSilo

Google News requires Sign-In

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Google is becoming communist now.

why on earth someone wants to sign-in to read news on google...

customer locking device.......

i prefer yahoo news..which is far better than google and doesn't require sign-in

anyone any thoughts??

V

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
visited google news site, sign-in to read doent happen here.

•••
Have no idea what you're talking about. Google News is just a page with links to other sites, and there's no need to log in to see that page.

•••
bananamonkey said:
Have no idea what you're talking about. Google News is just a page with links to other sites, and there's no need to log in to see that page.

i know how google news works.. i'm an avid google news reader anyway.

it just now i discovered that i need to sign-in to read the news... i've checked on two different pcs both showing the same msg "Sign in to get recommended stories by using search history"

i don't know how come you can read the news without signing in....

is it just me ????

V

•••
Think so. I can read it just fine (I just did and also from several computers).

Skinny

•••
sker said:
i know how google news works.. i'm an avid google news reader anyway.

it just now i discovered that i need to sign-in to read the news... i've checked on two different pcs both showing the same msg "Sign in to get recommended stories by using search history"

i don't know how come you can read the news without signing in....

is it just me ????

V

It's not just you. They been doing that for a long time already. They are giving you an option to view the news based on your past search history. To anser your question, yes they are becoming more and more communistic (if there is such a word), locking you in slowly.

•••
It's just an extra feature, you don't have to use it and you certainly don't have to log in to read the news. How on earth are they suppose to give you personalized features if they can't even identify you?

You can personalize Google News to focus on what you want. This feature includes Personalized Search, which tailors your Google searches based on your search history and more.

Really don't see what the fuss is about.

•••
I can view it 100% without needing to sign on.

The only thing i need to sign in for is the "Get recommended stories" link. As has already been pointed out for them to check your search history YOU HAVE TO BE SIGNED IN, How else are they going to identify you. Nothing communist about giving members extra features especially when it is the only logistically plausible way to offer the feature.

•••
Thank you guys....

yeah its true, they require sign-in for recommended stories but the weird things is,i can't see any news without signing in.

i called my friends to see how he is coping with it,he said its just fine on his pc.

how don't know how the system works. now it's there and now doesn't!!!

if google is sooooo relying on algorithm why on earth they need recommendation and signing in..??? let their spiders,tarantulas and centipedes to analyse and post the right stuff.

they knew,keeping ppl's search history is pain in the tail,why they're doing it?? i don't want to anyone to reveal my intimate delicacies to the US Government.

•••
sker said:
Thank you guys....

yeah its true, they require sign-in for recommended stories but the weird things is,i can't see any news without signing in.

i called my friends to see how he is coping with it,he said its just fine on his pc.

how don't know how the system works. now it's there and now doesn't!!!

Try clicking on the "personalize this page" link and in the section that now shows click on "restore page to default" and see if that helps any, I think this is stored in a cookie. Alternatively try deleting your cookies.

sker said:
if google is sooooo relying on algorithm why on earth they need recommendation and signing in..??? let their spiders,tarantulas and centipedes to analyse and post the right stuff.

The feature is so they can show news that is 100% dedicated to what you search for without knowing who you are and what you have searched for how are they meant to do this? (it is like you expecting me to know everything about you even if you do not tell me your name, if I don;t know your name it is extremely difficult to find any info on you, however not impossible)

The only other method I can think of off hand is to store search info in cookies BUT the problem there is that as soon as you clear your cookies of the cookie expires the age would be back to square 1 which would make the feature useless, another alternative is to link the IP to searches but the problem there is you are assuming the users IP will never change which is obviously not the case (in fact AOL customers can have different IP's between page loads).

Therefore the only way to do it properly is to have the person create an account and store that information with their login. Remember however if you are not logged in when searching they will not count for the personalization as google do not realize you are that user.

Last edited:
•••
sign-in is for stories the are recommending you to read related to your searches.

If it was for all news no-one would use them as there are already alot of news sites out there.

•••
filth@flexiwebhost said:
Try clicking on the "personalize this page" link and in the section that now shows click on "restore page to default" and see if that helps any, I think this is stored in a cookie. Alternatively try deleting your cookies.

I think you're right. Because i'm not the only one using that PC.I think it has been stored in a cookie. Deleting the cookie is the only option. i don't want it to be a habit,deleting cookies everytime.

I think i'm addicted to Yahoo news now... :blink:

filth@flexiwebhost said:
The feature is so they can show news that is 100% dedicated to what you search for without knowing who you are and what you have searched for how are they meant to do this? (it is like you expecting me to know everything about you even if you do not tell me your name, if I don;t know your name it is extremely difficult to find any info on you, however not impossible)

The only other method I can think of off hand is to store search info in cookies BUT the problem there is that as soon as you clear your cookies of the cookie expires the age would be back to square 1 which would make the feature useless, another alternative is to link the IP to searches but the problem there is you are assuming the users IP will never change which is obviously not the case (in fact AOL customers can have different IP's between page loads).

Therefore the only way to do it properly is to have the person create an account and store that information with their login. Remember however if you are not logged in when searching they will not count for the personalization as google do not realize you are that user.

Thanks for the priceless info flexi.

Cheers bud

V

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back