IT.COM

GoDaddy introduces 15% service tax for buyers from India

NameSilo
Watch

anantj

Top Member
Impact
As a follow-up to my previous thread (https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...nal-15-service-tax-for-users-in-india.988976/), GoDaddy has introduced an additional 15% service tax for users with an Indian billing address.

This essentially means all purchases by India users will cost substantially more. Further, it will also negate the pricing discount that was accrued on changing the currency to INR (for Indian purchasers only).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your headline is not accurate. Godaddy is not introducing the tax.

"From December 1st, 2016, the Government of India has mandated an additional 15% service tax on a lot of digital products and services including Domain Names, Hosting Services, online disk space, video and music downloads and stream service etc."

•••
Fair enough. Perhaps it should be GoDaddy implements the new Service Tax.

•••
So will this affect my NoLonger.In domain name if I am in England, and use an American registrar.

•••
No. It will affect you if your billing address is Indian. It's unclear to me how the Indian government will enforce it on providers who do not have an Indian presence. But in your case, it should be no impact

•••
15% is a bit high..Dont you think?

•••
15% is a bit high..Dont you think?

Thats the reason there was so much of black money in circulation in India. Now since Modi government is trying to make a cashless economy, they must bring down Income Tax and Sales Tax as well.

It's unclear to me how the Indian government will enforce it on providers who do not have an Indian presence.

Yes, I have registered names on Dynadot since then and there was no Tax there.

Even in Godaddy, there are some names with 15% tax and some with lesser tax.

upload_2016-12-10_20-22-17.png

As of now, its a difficult scenario to understand. Hope with time things will settle down.

•••
15% is definitely high and will a make a considerable dent on the so called make in india campaign

•••
No. It will affect you if your billing address is Indian. It's unclear to me how the Indian government will enforce it on providers who do not have an Indian presence. But in your case, it should be no impact
Dont know how they will enforce it but they are asking these companies to hire agents which will collect tax on their behalf in India and then send it to Government

•••
need to try out Dynadot instead of Godaddy now

•••
Dont know how they will enforce it but they are asking these companies to hire agents which will collect tax on their behalf in India and then send it to Government

This exactly. For those orgs who do not have a presence in India, I'm unsure how it can even be enforced

•••
need to try out Dynadot instead of Godaddy now

DD, Namesilo and several others. My main problem and concern is that GD also has one of the largest Aftermarket services and they are increasingly acquiring the expired domain lists of other registrars*

[1]http://domainnamewire.com/2016/09/3...ending-expired-domain-names-godaddy-auctions/
[2]http://domainnamewire.com/2016/11/22/another-major-registrar-sending-expired-domains-godaddy/

Also, having already paid for GD Auctions service, that's another hit for me :(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back