IT.COM

GoDaddy Domain Privacy Warning Message

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AMRO1001

Upgraded Member
Impact
What you think about this Warning message from Godaddy when I try to turn Domain Privacy off?

"Exposing your domain contact info leaves you vulnerable to spam email, robocalls, and phishing attack - even if you hide it later. Any changes to your contact info will be exposed immediately."

Based on this message shoud I avoid truning domain privacy off?

I recently changed many of my domain name to godaddy landers, so I want to give those who want to contact me directly a window via whoise info!

Thanks
amro

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It means exactly like what GoDaddy sent you. ie. every option has its pluses and minuses.

If you want to be found, you will be found by everyone and not just by those you would like to contact you.

•••
As @Hypersot says, every option has its pluses and minuses. Turning domain privacy off could result in more spam emails and calls, for example. Ultimately, it's down to the individual to choose their options.

•••
The message sounds quite sinister, and perhaps unnecessarily so at this point in time.

Having had privacy off for many years, my experience is that the spam email issue is far less of a problem these days. This is likely due to the spam filters on email servers, as well as major companies like Google and Microsoft banning spammers by more sophisticated methods.

The spam calls are more of an issue, so it may be best to use a phone number that can go directly to voice mail without ringing. The major phone companies are making more efforts to crack down on the spam calls, so hopefully this will be less of an issue in the future.

As james said, it's a personal decision.

The bottom line, though, is that having privacy off can allow others to contact you directly. And, to me, having privacy off is a way of having additional privacy. If someone is trying to contact you, wouldn't you like to feel that those communications directly with you are being kept confidential? In other words, to not have to worry whether there is some intermediary that may also be privvy to the contact?

"Privacy off" could mean ultimately more privacy for you and those contacting you.

•••
As @Hypersot says, every option has its pluses and minuses. Turning domain privacy off could result in more spam emails and calls, for example. Ultimately, it's down to the individual to choose their options.

Riddle me this @James Iles

Why doesn’t Godaddy show our email addresses when we turn privacy off?

It’s pretty obvious to me.

Sure, they publicly claim that it’s for OUR safety, but the fact is, Godaddy doesn’t want any potential buyer contacting the domain owners directly.

Sound about right?

•••
Riddle me this @James Iles

Why doesn’t Godaddy show our email addresses when we turn privacy off?

It’s pretty obvious to me.

Sure, they publicly claim that it’s for OUR safety, but the fact is, Godaddy doesn’t want any potential buyer contacting the domain owners directly.

Sound about right?
Ironically, it seemed that I had to go through ICANN before, to finally have my contact information visible with GoDadddy with privacy off. It was unclear why the information wasn't showing up correctly, between both GD and another registrar.

The matter appeared to be resolved for a while with GD, and then happened again. For that and other reasons, I transferred most of my domains away from GoDaddy.

The issue appeared to be improved again after contacting customer service. Now, however, I saw that my email contact information is still missing on the Whois and lookup.icann.org. At least all the other information is there, including name, address and telephone number. However, for some inexplicable reason, my emails are missing from the admin, tech, and registrant listings.

So, sadly, even if the problem is fixed, it appears to be only temporary. Nonetheless, I will contact customer support and see if, again, it can be straightened out.

Last edited:
•••

How would this result in more spam emails if you don't disclose our email address?

If you go through the options presented at the form, it's all nonsense reasons for contact presented.

Those will go to spam, if delivered at all. All that's left is pay up $70 up front without even knowing wether the domain is actually for sale.

Ironically, it seemed that I had to go through ICANN before, to finally have my contact information visible with GoDadddy with privacy off.

Interesting. Where/who at Icann did you report this to?

•••
Interesting. Where/who at Icann did you report this to?
ICANN contractual compliance section

ICann Compliance Resources

Note though that GoDaddy did resolve the issue (albeit temporarily), without having to do a full reporting.

Sadly, so far, GD's response is not reassuring. Hopefully, we do not need ICANN to resolve this issue.

•••
ICANN contractual compliance section

ICann Compliance Resources

Note though that GoDaddy did resolve the issue (albeit temporarily), without having to do a full reporting.

Sadly, so far, GD's response is not reassuring. Hopefully, we do not need ICANN to resolve this issue.

I called my PPS Rep yesterday, so that we can get to the bottom of this.

Apparently, they had no idea emails weren't showing in the whois db when privacy was disabled. All these teams and not one person ever checks their work.

Anyway, he sent it up and a few hours later I got the call.

They are now working on it.

•••
I called my PPS Rep yesterday, so that we can get to the bottom of this.

Apparently, they had no idea emails weren't showing in the whois db when privacy was disabled. All these teams and not one person ever checks their work.

Anyway, he sent it up and a few hours later I got the call.

They are now working on it.

Thank you so much for doing the inquiry.
At this point, the response from the GD Invalid Whois team, which referred me to the general Customer Support. The thing is, I've been through that before. It took quite a bit of time and effort to get it fixed that time. Then, sadly, the email blocking issue has recurred.

So could you kindly alert us when you get a reponse. Hopefully the matter will be fixed permanently, for all who have requested "privacy off."

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back