Dynadot

GoDaddy Backorder WTF?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Did they change how they do this? Before if a domain expired I'd get the domain right away. Now they tell me the domain will go to auction and I have to bid on it? After I pay $18.99?

Anywhere else I can backorder and just get the domain name right away?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Did they change how they do this? Before if a domain expired I'd get the domain right away. Now they tell me the domain will go to auction and I have to bid on it? After I pay $18.99?

Anywhere else I can backorder and just get the domain name right away?

Yes, this subject has been thoroughly discussed:
http://www.namepros.com/domain-name...ckorder-customers.html?highlight=smashed+head

And Domain Name Wire did a report on this (can't find the link).

This is actually not as big a deal as most people are making it out to be, because:
(1) My private studies show that less than 20% of domains backordered on GoDaddy end up in auction,
(2) They're private auctions between the backordering parties,
(3) Most of these auctions end at $25 or less, and
(4) You actually pay $10 less than the price you win the domain for because your $18.99 backorder counts towards the domain's renewal cost. So if you win the domain for $15 in auction, for example, you only pay $5 at checkout.

Also, you can cut that initial $18.99 backorder cost down to $8.99 using a couple of tricks. PM me if you'd like to learn how.

•••
thx, yeah i read and posted in that thread and completely forgot about it til now. i think this is a total scam so they can make more money period. i wish i was god id send them to hell lol i want this damn domain name im after.

•••
It only goes to auction if there was more than 1 backorder, and then only between the backorderers. At least that is how my account manager explained it to me.

•••
It it so? I mean if there is more than 1 backorder then what about the payment they have made for it? Or there should be an auction between the backorderers rather than putting it on general auction. Guess what no idea.

•••
Old system: Only one backorder per name. Early bird caught the worm for the backorder cost (if the backorder was successful) and any latecomers missed out.

New system: Multiple backorders are accepted. If one only backorder, name goes to them for the backorder cost (like the old system). If multiple backorders, a 7 day auction determines the winner. Winner pays the original backorder cost plus $10 less than winning bid price. So if auction ends at $21, the winner pays $18.99 plus $11 at checkout. Unsuccessful bidders do not lose the $18.99 backorder fee. The backorder credit can be used on a future backorder.

I actually prefer the new system as it allows me to compete for good names even if I am last to backorder. I was continually being beaten before by people scouring lists and placing their backorders weeks (and sometimes months) in advance. These early birds now have no advantage.

•••
I aks about this thing and i receive this answer "If a domain registered with us after May 2, 2005 expires, it is automatically listed on Go Daddy Auctions™. If you placed a backorder on the domain before it expired, we may use your backorder cost to place the opening bid on the domain. If no one else places a bid on the name, we capture and register the domain for you, subject to the rights of the previous owner. If someone does bid on the domain, you receive an outbid notice and are given the chance to place a higher bid or move your backorder to another name"

But who place the initial bid of 10$ if there are multiple backorder ? If i dont place a bid i lost the domain ?

•••
I aks about this thing and i receive this answer "If a domain registered with us after May 2, 2005 expires, it is automatically listed on Go Daddy Auctions™. If you placed a backorder on the domain before it expired, we may use your backorder cost to place the opening bid on the domain. If no one else places a bid on the name, we capture and register the domain for you, subject to the rights of the previous owner. If someone does bid on the domain, you receive an outbid notice and are given the chance to place a higher bid or move your backorder to another name"

But who place the initial bid of 10$ if there are multiple backorder ? If i dont place a bid i lost the domain ?
The initial bid is automatically placed by the first person to place the backorder. You can check if this is you by following these instructions:

1. Log in to your GoDaddy.com account.

2. Click on 'My Bidding List' in the thick black menu bar on the left. More options will then be displayed underneath.

3. From this list of new options, choose 'Bidding.' If there is no activity there, then you haven't placed the initial bid or any subsequent bids. In this case, continue to step 4. If a bid is shown and that is the current price (i.e. there haven't been any subsequent higher bids) then you are the current leader.

4. To place a bid or check the current price, click on 'Watching' and you should see the domain, the current price and the auction end date and time. Clicking on the domain will show more options and allow you to place a bid if desired.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back