Dynadot

legal Facebook Sues NameCheap

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
[Facebook] filed a lawsuit in Arizona against Namecheap, a domain name registrar, as well as its proxy service, Whoisguard, for registering domain names that aim to deceive people by pretending to be affiliated with Facebook apps. These domain names can trick people into believing they are legitimate and are often used for phishing, fraud and scams.
Read More

Commentary:
As a Namecheap customer, I am glad that they aren't giving up their customers privacy. Facebook claims they have an obligation to do so- but they don't provide any citation for such an obligation.
ICANN has an established process for handling these types of disputes, and Facebook should avail themsleves of that process. https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/help/dndr/udrp-en
It isn't clear if Facebook is seeking a financial judgement or just a court order to delete or transfer the domains to Facebook...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's going to set a huge precedence for sure.

•••
•••
•••
Wasn't this old news
Yes the story was from a couple of months ago. I am not sure if there have been any developments.
It would seem from the FB publicity campaign, that they are trying to sue because NC registered the domains, rather than start a URS or UDRP to shut them down with owners as per ICANN regulations. Without a court order of UDRP notice, NC are not revealing the owners. I would be surprised if FB are successful, since if they were every registrar would have problematic registrations. No legal opinion, just my impression.

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back